PDA

View Full Version : Rust

Tommo
29-04-2008, 13:05
Hello all

I was valeting the Williams on Sunday and as I was cleaning the arch I noticed a tiny bit of rust, nothing major, it's right on the edge of the lip where the paint seems to have chipped away and about 2 cm long, how do I nip this in the bud now before it gets to the point where it's a costly fix (I know how quickly these arches can rust), I dabbed a bit of kurust on to slow down the corrosion process but I want it done properly.

Advice appreciated.

Cheers

schakal
29-04-2008, 13:16
rule number 1 :
rust always appears less severe than it actually is !!!

you want to take the paint and all of that rust of from the metal first
i use a wire brush attachement on a drill carefully ,once you get to the
clean metal you want to treat it with some passifier such as por 15 metal
ready , than hit it with etc primer than depending on the size of repair
top coat with spray can or touch up pen . than take it from there
for a nice even finish .

hank3944
29-04-2008, 14:11
Where can you get hold of willy 3 paint from in a touch up form mate?

schakal
29-04-2008, 14:21
Where can you get hold of willy 3 paint from in a touch up form mate?

not sure as i never needed willy stuff but halfords
have touch up kits for most cars ,might be worth a shot .
otherwise renault dealer jobbie me thinks .

northy
29-04-2008, 14:42
is the rust coming through from a stone chip or underneath....if this is the first bit your doing very well mate....

Clean it back to bear steel, treat with rust convertor, zinc prime and spray body colour and blend in.

Tommo
29-04-2008, 15:31
It's just surface rust from a few chips on the lip mate, not from inside, but it's got the potential to spread if left untreated. Cheers for the advice fellas, I was thinking of using different grades of grit paper to carefully get it down to the bare metal and treating it as the area is so small I think a wire brush would be overkill, has anyone used grit paper before, where's best to buy it?