PDA

View Full Version : First Rally in the Pink Cup racer

Evogone
28-04-2008, 21:53
Well it was my first rally in the Pink Yozzasport Clio at Anglesey on the 13th April. It all started with the last minutes prep on the car the week before with everything done apart from the water temp gauge (that turned out to be a frustrating future story) and then all loaded up and ready to go.

We headed off for Angelsey on the Saturday afternoon as scruitineering was in the afternoon the day before the event. I must admit I was a bit nervous as it was the first rally for the car and didn’t want any silly issues with the car at scruitineering so the car couldn’t run.

We arrived in good time and got the car off the trailer started he up and off to noise testing. Went through noise testing no problems but it’s not the nosiest of cars, now off to scruitineering. The weather had been mixed in the morning and just before we arrived for the scruitineer it started to lash it down. So after 5 mins of looking at the car and check the paperwork, suits and helmet getting piss wet through we had passed with no questions/issues.!!! Signed on and got the stage maps and proceeded to do a circuit reccie. They stages where quite long and lots of splits and merges that if you cock up your out the rally. After walking the circuit I have to say the new track is awesome, far better than Oulton (which is one of my favourites)Prob the best in the country now.

Right with the car all sorted it was time to get some food and a beer. Well we ended up with local fish and chip and then had to get back in time as the gates to the venue closed at 7pm and we were sleeping in the car (5 star Audi luxury). One thing to note if you do any events at the new Angelsey it has an on site bar and when we asked what time do your closed we got greeted with whenever everyone leaves.!!! Well 6 Magners later we decided to call it a day and get some sleep. Weather, well what can I say it absolutely pissed it down for at least a couple of hours but we eventually got to sleep.

6am Sunday was woken up to the sound of pitter patter of rain on the windscreen, great.!!!! First event never drove the car before, loads of friends coming to watch and lots of rain, mmmmm feeling a bit nervous. Anyways just after 6am my co-driver arrived as he couldn’t come down the night before and went through the stage maps with him, better get this right as there lot of opportunity to cock it right up!!..

Right intermediates on and everything checked and ready to go.!!

Stage 1 & 2 – very tricky and wet, 2nd chicane brake brake lock up, shit tyres or grass tyres or grass. Grass it is.! After the first stage which was a bit fraught, after that it was all neat and tidy.

Stage 3 & 4 – dry in places still on inters (worked very very well) neat and tidy but had a slight miss fire on some of the later corners of the stages, mmmmm

Stages 5 & 6 – getting dry now but the tyres were not overheating so stayed on the inters. Really starting to put in some good times and really enjoying it but the misfire was back.!!!!

Stages 7 & 8 – really flying now but the misfire was there still and seemed to be on left tight hand corners. We really wanted to finish, that was my aim not stage times but before the stage start of the last stage (8) the car would not start.!!! Shit, turned it over 3/4 times but would not kick in.!! On the 5th time just before the battery gave up it kicked into life.!!! Get to the start and after a bit of pushing in we started the stage.!! Last stage was wicked really good stage but the misfire was back in force again left hand corners.!!!!

We finished the final stage and what a relief, it was always the real objective of the weekend as well as get a feel for the car. I have to say I have driven a lot of cars and the cup racers are really good, the std brakes lasted all day after some serious abuse (although im sure they will need bleeding, the engine pulls well, in the dry it got lots of grip considering it hasn’t got an LSD (will do soon thought!) but the best bit was the handling. Everyone says they are really twitchy but with the spare wheel fitted and ½ tank of fuel it was really well balanced, very impressed.

Need to investigate the misfire but seems to be fuel surge and the other cup owner seem to have the same issue. No really identified cure apart from running the tank full for the next event. Why wouldn’t the car start before the last stage who knows – fuel evaporation as the car was very hot ? Things to work on.

Next event is this weekend at 3 sisters Sunday 4th May, may see some of you there.

Big thanks to Yozza @ Yozzasport for the help getting the car all sorted before the event.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm290/Evogone/_MG_6544.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm290/Evogone/_MG_6245.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm290/Evogone/P1010048.jpg

Evogone
28-04-2008, 22:02
Bit of footage from the girlies, excuse the comentry.!!

http://yozzasport.co.uk/upload/evogone/anglesey_13th_april/

northy
29-04-2008, 08:21
will let u know how my new fule pump goes in a weeks time mate...glad u enjoyed the car!

Evogone
29-04-2008, 08:36
will let u know how my new fule pump goes in a weeks time mate...glad u enjoyed the car!

Even better, when you are doing it let me know i would be happy to help/hinder plus i know what to do with mine if it works.!! Im not far from you.

What pump have you got, i thought you sold it.

Finally did you eliminate the misfire when above 1/2 full ? did you run it brimmed to the top ?

northy
29-04-2008, 09:41

Even better, when you are doing it let me know i would be happy to help/hinder plus i know what to do with mine if it works.!! Im not far from you.

Finally did you eliminate the misfire when above 1/2 full ? did you run it brimmed to the top ?

fitted the pump already and it works on the flat, got a motorsport upgrade rated to 500bhp. Im hoping that along with cleaning the tank will stop the serge...if not swirl pot time.

Evogone
29-04-2008, 09:57

fitted the pump already and it works on the flat, got a motorsport upgrade rated to 500bhp. Im hoping that along with cleaning the tank will stop the serge...if not swirl pot time.

Where did you get the pump from ? any code numbers etc. Was it easy ? did you have to take the tank off ?

cliokongen
29-04-2008, 10:13
Part numbers (suppliers) and a guide for dummies would be great northy :-)

Michael

northy
29-04-2008, 10:25
well it a bit of a ball ache and i didnt take any snaps....tank off, soldering and drilling is required.

seanofnp
29-04-2008, 10:36
looks awesome mate, bet it was well fun! car looks top.

Found out why it wouldnt start?

Evogone
29-04-2008, 10:56
well it a bit of a ball ache and i didnt take any snaps....tank off, soldering and drilling is required.

Sounds a nightmare was it the pump you got from Tweeks you fitted as i thought you sold it ?

Also did you just fill it full or just over 1/2 tank to cure it as an interim ?

northy
29-04-2008, 11:04
Sold the original one, then bought another from tweeks and found it was just a direct replacement - then swapped that with Sytec for a 500bhp one.

In the short term dont let it drop any below 1/4 and u should be fine.

Evogone
29-04-2008, 11:35
You taking the car out on Monday ? will be interesting to see the results.!!

Will fill mine to half full for Sundays event and try it from there.

northy
29-04-2008, 11:57
eye got a full trackday to do....

FlamingMonkey
29-04-2008, 12:30
Gotta agree Angleseys new track is my favourite track now

Looking good

cliokongen
29-04-2008, 13:53
Sold the original one, then bought another from tweeks and found it was just a direct replacement - then swapped that with Sytec for a 500bhp one.

In the short term dont let it drop any below 1/4 and u should be fine.

Sorry for the OT... :-)

Was the Sytec easy to fit?
Part no.?

Michael

FlamingMonkey
29-04-2008, 21:27
Just read your doing 3 sisters on Sunday, is it an event or just a sprint day.

May just bob along to have a nosey!

Evogone
29-04-2008, 21:53

Tarmac Rally part of the ANWCC championship, 65 cars entered lots of 30 grand Mk II's and the usual Scoob / EVO and the likes.

Say hello if you come along.

FlamingMonkey
29-04-2008, 22:19

Tarmac Rally part of the ANWCC championship, 65 cars entered lots of 30 grand Mk II's and the usual Scoob / EVO and the likes.

Cool I may just do that, might be a little hung over though it's my bday on Sat :P

You not fancy it Northrop, it's only round the corner from you!

Evogone
30-04-2008, 07:42

Cool I may just do that, might be a little hung over though it's my bday on Sat :P

You not fancy it Northrop, it's only round the corner from you!

Think Northy a bit shy....

Im on a stag do this weekend too but in my mature nature im only doing the Friday night session and paintballing Sat afternoon.!! May just have sobered up by then.

FlamingMonkey
30-04-2008, 08:13
haha know what you mean I'm 30 this time :shock:

I might come in my slippers

northy
30-04-2008, 08:19
northy isnt here guys.....im off to croft for my own trackday around a real mans track not a gokart special :wink:

Evogone
30-04-2008, 10:17
northy isnt here guys.....im off to croft for my own trackday around a real mans track not a gokart special :wink:

Real men use their cars in competition... :wink:

Get to Angelsey thats now the best curcuit in the country by miles.!!!!

Fingers crossed the new pump solves the surge issues....

Evogone
30-04-2008, 10:17
haha know what you mean I'm 30 this time :shock:

I might come in my slippers

I look out for the slippers.!!

northy
30-04-2008, 11:38

Been there done that lol....

Click here to watch Northy-Anglesey-highlights (http://media.putfile.com/Northy-Anglesey-highlights)

Click here to watch wwwwilliamscliocouk-Zollo--Anglesey-070707 (http://media.putfile.com/wwwwilliamscliocouk-Zollo--Anglesey-070707)

Doubt the pump was the problem mate if im honest....Im going down a swirl pot if its not sorted now....

Evogone
30-04-2008, 13:40

Been there done that lol....

Click here to watch Northy-Anglesey-highlights (http://media.putfile.com/Northy-Anglesey-highlights)

Click here to watch wwwwilliamscliocouk-Zollo--Anglesey-070707 (http://media.putfile.com/wwwwilliamscliocouk-Zollo--Anglesey-070707)

Doubt the pump was the problem mate if im honest....Im going down a swirl pot if its not sorted now....

Good stuff, you just need to get in competition mode now, just isnt the same. Its as big as step from road to trackday going from trackday to competition.

Once your car is upto spec then its the same price as trackdays but sooooo uch more fun.!!

northy
30-04-2008, 14:16
whos says were not competing on trackdays :wink:

http://media.putfile.com/Brands-Clio-172-Cup-chasing-MK1s

Evogone
30-04-2008, 22:52

http://media.putfile.com/Brands-Clio-17poo-Cup-chasing-MK1s

From some one who has done both over the past 10 year its just not the same..you dont even have one lap that fully clear and backing off etc.

Have to say im suprised that Mark Cup's 172 eats you all on the straights (i used to have one for trackdays and the pink cup racer so much quicker) ...... :wink:

Reserve judegment until you have experienced it yourself, it s a great feeling i can recomend it. :D

cliorod
03-05-2008, 19:32
Evogone :wink: :wink:

WHAT no mention of the friendly secretary of the meeting :( :cry: :( :cry: :( .
Glad you enjoyed your day,I hope we will see you next year :wink:

Evogone
05-05-2008, 21:32
Evogone :wink: :wink:

WHAT no mention of the friendly secretary of the meeting :( :cry: :( :cry: :( .
Glad you enjoyed your day,I hope we will see you next year :wink:

Sorry Cliorod. :oops:

Was a great day i jut hope that Angelsey owners doesnt just chase the money as if they do then rallying there could be a thing of the past.!!

Was a great event (excellent stages) and will be there next year.

northy
06-05-2008, 12:55

http://media.putfile.com/Brands-Clio-17poo-Cup-chasing-MK1s

From some one who has done both over the past 10 year its just not the same..you dont even have one lap that fully clear and backing off etc.

Have to say im suprised that Mark Cup's 17poo eats you all on the straights (i used to have one for trackdays and the pink cup racer so much quicker) ...... :wink:

Reserve judegment until you have experienced it yourself, it s a great feeling i can recomend it. :D

mine is 1.8 mate. But all the mk1's were on the first run there just before lunch so were still getting to grips with the track. Marks cup had semi slicks on too :wink: