PDA

View Full Version : very high oil pressure 6bar!!!!

valver_Karl
27-04-2008, 21:01
was driving down the motoway last night (btw this is prob its 3rd time running in about 2.5 years) i was easeing off from a quick little burst prob 110-120mph and i noticed suddenly a lack of power, then carnt remember wen i realised but for rest of the journy home i was rear enough sitting on about 6 bar of oil pressure doing about 70mph in 5th on roughly 4-5k rpm untill i came off the m25. then at 1 point on a country road i noticed a fair bit of smoke but only wen a car was behind me! that was the only time i can remember seeing smoke, i was in the process of flushing the oil, and still havent flushed it yet, but i havent drove it today, does any1 have any ideas? shall i flush the oil and use engine flush? could the pressure relise valve be stuck on the oil pump? and wot else could this be if its not the oil pump?

now this engine is very well specked got all paper work for 7.5 grand, and am well chuffed with it, is was running fine all night not a problem, although since i fitted the engine i have noticed it has a higher oil pressure than my old standard engine and didnt think anythink off it so drove it normally appart from the first 70-80 miles untill i gave in to temptation

Rich
27-04-2008, 21:07
nothin wrong with good oil pressure mate. might be a dodgy sender if it sits at 6 bar all the time though. try that first

MAXIBOY
27-04-2008, 21:07
good engines will run 6 bar cool

valver_Karl
27-04-2008, 21:11
nothin wrong with good oil pressure mate. might be a dodgy sender if it sits at 6 bar all the time though. try that first

wot do you mean by dodgy sender m8? any idea for the loss of power? i.e say ur doin 70, ur in 5th, and u put ur foot down u know how quickly it should creep up, but mine took extra long and sounds like a lawnmower wen u put foot on accelaration lol

MAXIBOY
27-04-2008, 21:12
sounds like it might be electrical...

valver_Karl
27-04-2008, 21:13
good engines will run 6 bar cool

ye was sitting about 80-100 deg

MAXIBOY
27-04-2008, 21:14
does it sit there all the time might have sorted on the exhaust

valver_Karl
27-04-2008, 21:14
sounds like it might be electrical...

urrm i had no engine managment lights on tho, wot u thinking electrical?

MAXIBOY
27-04-2008, 21:15
as above maybe the lambda wires as well

valver_Karl
27-04-2008, 21:16
does it sit there all the time might have sorted on the exhaust

no wen i ease off, the pressure drops, when i change down through the gears comin up to a junction pressure drops then wen im in netural its sittin on 0 bar

Rich
27-04-2008, 21:18
could be missfiring mate, get some new spark plugs and ignition leads if this turns out to be the problem

valver_Karl
27-04-2008, 21:26
could be missfiring mate, get some new spark plugs and ignition leads if this turns out to be the problem

i was just thinging about that, it did seam so sound like it was miss fireing, would that explane the loss in power an the smoke? my mechanic told me he had to change the plugs (again) the other day, but i told him they had to be same length as the existin plugs cuz my pistons, shall i try different plugs, cuz iv changed the plugs twice in about 2 weeks :s

MAXIBOY
27-04-2008, 21:27
try dizzy cap and rotor arms...

Rich
27-04-2008, 21:29
try the leads too then. have you taken the leads off and looked down the ports? if the rocker gasket is leaking they will be covered in oil so you may need to change that too

valver_Karl
27-04-2008, 21:32
try the leads too then. have you taken the leads off and looked down the ports? if the rocker gasket is leaking they will be covered in oil so you may need to change that too

im usin the leads that came with the engine, but... iv got fairly new leads so ill try them,

and maxiboy, i used the dizzy cap from my old engine, but do u think i should get a new1, i never had any problems with the dizzy cap on old engine btw

Rich
27-04-2008, 21:42
yeah change the dizzy and rotor arm mate as well as the leads. first try the leads as you have them and if that doesnt work try a new dizzy. with regards to the dizzy they wear out mate so it could be shot

valver_Karl
28-04-2008, 19:45
ye il replace everythin, il let you know how i get on, cheers

BRUN
29-04-2008, 06:51
make sure when you put the rotor arm on, the little shaft it sits on is clean with no corrosion

valver_Karl
18-05-2008, 11:14
got a new problem now,

when the oil is all warmed up and im at a traffic lights or somethin in netural my oil pressure is on 0bar :( but wen i give it a few revs the pressure goes up! now i know its bad havin no oil pressure, wot could this be?

its producing a bit of smoke aswell wen i ease off,

MAXIBOY
18-05-2008, 12:58
a few do this at tickover when warm as long as you get about 2 bar when above 3000rpm will be fine.. 8) at least most are..

number1
18-05-2008, 20:23
its just a dodgy reading gauge, 0bar would be enough for the oil pressure warning light to come on which is 5psi iirc mine does it too, but as soon as i pick the revs up it goes up fine, its more an oil pressure indication than a gauge tbh

Dave

valver_Karl
20-05-2008, 18:05
oh wicked so this isnt really a problem then?
is it worth doing a compression test anyway?

white16valver
20-05-2008, 18:47
It wouldn't hurt, but quite a lot sit very low, just off the zero mark.

Mine does, when it's not stuck at 3, bloody thing... lol

valver_Karl
22-05-2008, 19:14
lol ok wicked, just gotta sort out my buning oil problem now:( its producing a bit of smoke on over run

MAXIBOY
22-05-2008, 19:33
worn guides or worn stem seals

valver_Karl
22-05-2008, 20:52
ye thats wot i thought, any sort of idea on how much it will be to fix?

Lunner
22-05-2008, 20:59
Head off job, which means engine out, prolly talking best part of 2 days work, plus new head gasket, head bolts, seals themselves.

One of those things, may as well get te valve seats re-cut while the head is being skimmed, and get teh valves machined, depending on how old the cambelt is might be worth doing that too

Rich
22-05-2008, 21:02
Head off job, which means engine out, prolly talking best part of 2 days work, plus new head gasket, head bolts, seals themselves.

One of those things, may as well get te valve seats re-cut while the head is being skimmed, and get teh valves machined, depending on how old the cambelt is might be worth doing that too

dont need to scare him by saying engine out!!! dont have to take it out if the head is comin off and personally i'd leave the bottom end in to save pissing around with box fluid ect. although i could probably take the whole engine out quicker than just taking the head off so you do have a point in that respect :lol:

Lunner
22-05-2008, 21:04
After struggling to do my cambelt with the engine in the car, i'm up for engine out now, as you said its alot quicker, and you can get to everything properly, torque it all up properly etc

valver_Karl
23-05-2008, 18:06
lol, oh well,

im not scared about takin engine out, as i took it out the other month and put it back in an everythin was fine, but since im getting gdi to put throttle bodies on it and they want the car on the 31st im handing it over to them to fix, might be a little expensive but im mostly looking forward to the throttle bodies itself,

cliolord
23-05-2008, 18:36
smoke out the back, high oil pressure.....these 2 sound suspect to a sticky oil pressure relief valve! may give exaggerated crank case compression scenarios as the inlet takes onboard some oil from the breather :shock: .... just an idea I would check this out before you blow an oil seal

thanasis16v
23-05-2008, 22:13
i have the opossite problem,when the oil temp is 80+ the oil pressure is going down to the 0 bar position.even i give a few revs still 0 bar.i think is the sensor,oem sensors sucks. also i use groupA oil bump and the pressure goes to 6bar normally.the pump is has only 700km and the engine is after rebuilt.
any suggestions?

valver_Karl
24-05-2008, 10:02
smoke out the back, high oil pressure.....these 2 sound suspect to a sticky oil pressure relief valve! may give exaggerated crank case compression scenarios as the inlet takes onboard some oil from the breather :shock: .... just an idea I would check this out before you blow an oil seal

you know wot? iv had a few of my m8s said the exact same thing, i havent been driving it and im planning on towing it there, will gdi find the problem alright?

Andy P
24-05-2008, 12:56
If you had a sticky oil pressure release valve you would know about it :lol:

Just keep driving it mate. If it still goes welland doesnt cause any problems i wouldnt worry about it. Those guages can trigger major paranoia :lol:

If it does blow up valver engines are peanuts anyway 8)

valver_Karl
26-05-2008, 11:07
lol not this engine buddy. its a prima race engine over 9k worth or paperwork

Davey j
28-05-2008, 01:25
lol not this engine buddy. its a prima race engine over 9k worth or paperwork

Out of interest what did they spec for 9 thousand quid? Is it a 1.8 or a 2.0? Can PM if happier to chat on there. I am just curious is all. Especially given it is not on throttle bodies already at that level of finance.

thanasis16v
28-05-2008, 01:39
both can rev up to 9k!!! with the right pistons-rods-crank-cams etc :D