PDA

View Full Version : slagging my car off

robbooton
16-06-2005, 21:38
hello every one im rob booton a new member on here.

im a bit worried already about the very vibe and things posted on here about my car and some making me out to be a liar.

certain members and one in particular just slagging off my car when they have never been in it or spoke to me.
i joined because i love these cars and am interested in sharing ideas and discussing the cars we love .

saying that i did get a lovely welcome from dan
stevie p king stromba northy and others thank you :wink:

Lunner
16-06-2005, 21:40
Who's been doing the slagging?

Welcome btw

Irish Nut
16-06-2005, 21:42
Welcome dude.

Seen your car at FCS mate, looked awesome. :D

northy
16-06-2005, 21:43
dont worry about people posting on here mate...(plus we dont know much about forged pistons and how they work) so people are just questioning it.

Hope you enjoy the site mate...and im well pleased with your car - its a minter.

:D

Lunner
16-06-2005, 21:51
dont worry about people posting on here mate...(plus we dont know much about forged pistons and how they work) so people are just questioning it.

Hope you enjoy the site mate...and im well pleased with your car - its a minter.

:D

How do forged pistons work?

FATBOY
16-06-2005, 21:52
well spill the beans mate! what was wrong with it for people to slag it off? what car is it??? is it a williams??? lets have some info! oh and welcome by the way mate! :D

Martin
16-06-2005, 21:53
Welcome pal! Your car is mint as...saw it at hillpower a while back, as well as fcs..

Dancliovalver
16-06-2005, 21:57
ayup mate, c'mon tell em bout your car lol, i can only explain so much stuff but you know alot more bout your own car than what i do!!!!!

btw how much was your induction kit and has nick made anymore, I WANT 1 its damn load!!!
welcome mate

big hp
16-06-2005, 22:22
Hello mate.

Car looks very nice and certainly attracted a crowd when the engine was running. :D I parked next to you at FCS, LH side.

robbooton
16-06-2005, 22:26
hello every body very nice to hear from u all shall i put the full spec on ok i will here we go
by the way im not saying it is the fastest williams on earth its just fast for standard injection

piper cams
piper vernier pullies
gas flowed head
modified valve angles
uprated head gasket
top end blue printed

ballanced and lightened fordged pistons
ballanced and lightened piston rods
ballanced and laghtened crank
A.R.P head bolts
modified oil path
blue printed bottom end

air filter relocated in water bottle area
silicone hoses full set

remapable chip

de cat pipe
custom back box
magnex centre(crap)
custom rocker cover
modified engine mounts

six pot calipers are being fitted some time in the next month

many other parts as well but cant remember it all

next to come different manifold and some hill power trickery on the in let cam il keep u posted

when last run on the rollers half run in not mapped proppely and exhaust blowing it managed just under 170 bhp at the wheels at 22degrees celcius
which is i believe some where around 190 to 200 bhp

Thats if any is interested

northy
16-06-2005, 22:28
thats very good mate...i made 177 at the fly with a exhaust decat and manifold.

Mark_Ritchspeed
16-06-2005, 22:30
What sort of rev limit is on the motor?

robbooton
16-06-2005, 22:34
nick set it to rev to just under 7 grand

Martin
16-06-2005, 22:45
hello every body very nice to hear from u all shall i put the full spec on ok i will here we go
by the way im not saying it is the fastest williams on earth its just fast for standard injection

piper cams
piper vernier pullies
gas flowed head
modified valve angles
uprated head gasket
top end blue printed

ballanced and lightened fordged pistons
ballanced and lightened piston rods
ballanced and laghtened crank
A.R.P head bolts
modified oil path
blue printed bottom end

air filter relocated in water bottle area
silicone hoses full set

remapable chip

de cat pipe
custom back box
magnex centre(crap)
custom rocker cover
modified engine mounts

six pot calipers are being fitted some time in the next month

many other parts as well but cant remember it all

next to come different manifold and some hill power trickery on the in let cam il keep u posted

when last run on the rollers half run in not mapped proppely and exhaust blowing it managed just under 170 bhp at the wheels at 22degrees celcius
which is i believe some where around 190 to 200 bhp

Thats if any is interested :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :twisted:

Mark_Ritchspeed
16-06-2005, 22:49
I'm not being funny, just curious with the next questions.

With forged pistons and lightened and balanced, bottom end why is the rev limit so low?

Are you running a fairly mild cam set-up for mid-range power and thus there is no point in revving higher?

big hp
16-06-2005, 22:50
Thats what I call a spec sheet. :shock:

robbooton
16-06-2005, 22:52
i do believe there are many quicker cars than mine
and i did it not just for speed but because i wanted it to last my car is not that quick. every has hyped it up and im a bit affraid il be made to look silly at a track day or rolling road session

Mark_Ritchspeed
16-06-2005, 22:56
My old Willy 3 lasted 3 years in my hands and had nearly 90k miles on the clock when I sold it and revved to 7500 all the time on standard bottom end. Engine never missed a beat.

That was with Hillpower chip.

robbooton
16-06-2005, 22:56
the cams arent the looney ones but a little bit looney the looney ones are very difficult live with.
its a remapable chip so if i want nick could set it to rev 8 or 8.5 as it is it has emence mid range for easy motorway over taking lmao :lol:

Martin
16-06-2005, 22:57
I would'nt worry about it fella....I did a 14.9 qtr mile then added cams, chip, headwork, manifold and quickshift...got a 14.7! lol Well gutted... :oops:

Martin
16-06-2005, 22:58
Mark did your car actually go faster revving to 7.5 or was it purely for more flexability in track? My car is just as fast revving to 6.5k as it is taking it to the 7k limiter.... :?

robbooton
16-06-2005, 23:00
i have never gone up the strip my self but been to pod millions of times
i would be well pleased with 14.7 thats very fast ny friends big boosting 5 turbo managed 15.2 so u would wup that

Mark_Ritchspeed
16-06-2005, 23:04
No, to be fair, most of the power had gone by about 7k, but if you've got the revs there its rude not to use the rest of them.

Having said that, when I'm rallying and actually trying to set fast times, I rarely rev past 7k with this one.

Mark_Ritchspeed
16-06-2005, 23:05
I'll be aiming for very low 14's first time out. :twisted:

robbooton
16-06-2005, 23:08
northy 177 is loads thats what my mates williams is and its so rapid u get so much initial low down with that set up thats where i loose out really round a tight track urs would eat mine for dinner

Martin
16-06-2005, 23:09
well if it's a lot faster than edde's 14.7 williams....I don't doubt it! Think you are carrying a fair bit of extra weight though :wink: That cage must weigh 50kgs?

Martin
16-06-2005, 23:10
northy 177 is loads thats what my mates williams is and its so rapid u get so much initial low down with that set up thats where i loose out really round a tight track urs would eat mine for dinner

Northy drives like my gran ..I think a stnd 16v handed his ass at Oulton park! :wink: :lol:

Mark_Ritchspeed
16-06-2005, 23:12
Yep quite a bit quicker than Eddes up to the ton. Cage is just about the heaviest one available for the Clio and weighs in at around 45kgs IIRC.

Add that onto the sumpgaurd, tankgaurd, extinguishers etc and the car will be lucky if its as light as a standard Willy.

Mark_Ritchspeed
16-06-2005, 23:13

Northy drives like my gran ..I think a stnd 16v handed his ass at Oulton park! :wink: :lol:

Lol, :lol: :lol: :lol:

edde
16-06-2005, 23:19
Marks cars definatly going to be quicker than mine it give it power much better than mine it seems to have a greater spead of power.
Plus that gearbox is going to help keep the revs up on the 1//4 miles.

I need to have a look into wht the engines not as quick as the times and RR suggest. Maybe the bottom end needs rebuilding (or swopping for a Megan oneif I'm lazy). When I get back from the ring I'm going to have a look into it. I'm sure it should make more than it does at the moment though 129 ATW is quite poor IMO especially for cams, remap, exhaust, decat, ITG filter, manifold, and head work.

I've had another idea though about maybe getting a 172 instead though. Or maybe motorbike power as I'd love a sequenchial box plus lower road fund or maybe shock horror a diesel Williams.

Martin
16-06-2005, 23:23
14.7 is how quick it is at the mo which ain't bad..but as you say for the spec it should be low 14s....I'd say a megane btm end swap would be a good idea...I believe there is a place in warrington that will do it for 700 notes or less!

Martin
16-06-2005, 23:24
oh and edde that 129 bhp atw wheels figures may be slightly under as the operator had to let the tyres down to 18psi to get grip....it made 150 bhp atw at Hillpower...just goes to show rr's are far from accurate as it certainly ain't making that amount of power!!

Mark_Ritchspeed
16-06-2005, 23:26
I reckon bottom end is whats needed. I'm getting the urge to rebuild mine, its just that I feel I should blow it up first. :twisted:

KingStromba
16-06-2005, 23:28
My car is much faster since its bottom end was rebuilt.

edde
17-06-2005, 00:09
oh and edde that 129 bhp atw wheels figures may be slightly under as the operator had to let the tyres down to 18psi to get grip....it made 150 bhp atw at Hillpower...just goes to show rr's are far from accurate as it certainly ain't making that amount of power!!
This car gets better and better (bills excempt).
No 1/4 miling for me though with the new clucth though it will have to be rolling starts for comparing cars.
£700 though thats not bad I'm thinking of trying meself when my paretns bbuild this new garage just hope the bottom end survives till them.
A megan 2.0 bottom end or whole engine is about £300 isn't it then say £150 parts and bits and bobs and learn to do it myself (I'm cheap plus I can always get a friendly local to come and finish it if I get fed up).

I'm just waiting for the power stearing to give up or start annoying me as a good excuse to go to manual the weight saving is another good reason and also its less bits to check and annoy me when working on the car.

StevieP
17-06-2005, 02:54
Ahh hello Mister Rob! Nice to see you on here at last! That is one helluva spec sheet!

But, if anyone can tell me, whats it mean when a bottom or top end of an engine is blue printed? :oops:

J o n
17-06-2005, 08:06
blueprinting is building the bottom or top end up from the exact manufacturer specs iirc

also welcome to Rob, dont think anyone was slagging the car off, just couldn't quite understand why it didn't just disappear into the distance from the 172. Were you booting it?

2 live
17-06-2005, 09:34
welcome to the club mate...and i also dont think anyone was slagging ur car off...just in the vid shown and if both parties were booting, doesnt look as impressive as the spec list would suggest.......from the mods done, if u were both booting it, i would have expected u to leave the 172 tbh. not slagging anything/anyone off.....jus giving opinions

looks a tidy install too

blueprinting can be explained 2 ways..some ppl say its putting evrything back to within manufacturers tolerances

for others its to have evrything matched, manifolds to head, oil ways from head to block etc etc etc

BenR
17-06-2005, 10:41
THe only thing blueprinting means is the use of component sizing and tolerancing as depicted by the original designers original drawings.

Winston
17-06-2005, 11:51
Beast :P

Oh and Welcome :D

snakeylady
17-06-2005, 12:30
welcome - loverly motor - :D

StevieP
17-06-2005, 19:35
Rob's car isn't set up properly yet, and his exhaust is blowing fairly bad, this is why he didn't pull away as some of you may expect. I don't know how many times I said this in the original thread but hey, if people choose not to read something never mind...! :roll:

KingStromba
18-06-2005, 09:31
Well i went in this car when Nick did the fuel mapping for it and it wasnt slow then.