PDA

View Full Version : Brakes - Help Needed

TwisT
16-06-2005, 20:31
Today the car developed a fault where it judders while braking, i can feel the steering wheel shaking as i stop, how can i best find out whats causing it to happen, is it warped rear discs? The day before it was fine, no problems......

richy
16-06-2005, 20:32
firstly do u have ABS?

KingStromba
16-06-2005, 20:32
Best bet take the wheel of and have a look

Lunner
16-06-2005, 20:33
If its the stearing wheel thats wobbling, will be the front wheels rather then the rears, if its not abs related (which i know feck all about) then i would put my money on warped discs, have you been sat with your foot on the brakes for a long time when they have been really hot? Say in a traffic jam after hard braking?

TwisT
16-06-2005, 20:36
i dont think its abs as its a williams one, i dont usually brake hard i use the gears to slow down with light braking (fogot to add there is a slight grinding sound)

Lunner
16-06-2005, 20:37
Take the wheel off and spin the disc and see if tis warped, if not take the pads off and refit them, and see what hapens

Mark_Ritchspeed
16-06-2005, 20:41
If you can hear grinding, its most likely that the pads are down to the metal and need changing asap.

richy
16-06-2005, 20:41
no ABS so more then likely your front discs are warped as lunner says, whip wheel off and check the condition of them and the pads , better safe then sorry

TwisT
16-06-2005, 21:27
cheers for the help all, will take a look in the morning :)

robbooton
16-06-2005, 22:39
its warped discs just new discs neededdude every clio and 5 turbo ive had does it its no prblem

Mark_Ritchspeed
16-06-2005, 22:42
Yes, but warped discs will not normally cause a grinding sound. When pads wear down to the metal they will also cause juddering when braking and will definitely grind.

Either that, or the disks ARE warped and the grinding sound is just a coincidence. i.e a stone stuck in the pad .

mon
11-09-2005, 19:30
I GET A JUDDER THROUGH THE PEDDLE .. BUT NOT THROUGH THE STERRING WHEEL

THIS ONLY HAPPENS IF I AM COMING OFF THE SLIP RD ON MOTORWAY OR BRAKEING HARD

IS THIS WARPED DISCS?

:?:

P.S I DO NOT HAVE ABS

Jamie.
11-09-2005, 19:36
I GET A JUDDER THROUGH THE PEDDLE .. BUT NOT THROUGH THE STERRING WHEEL

THIS ONLY HAPPENS IF I AM COMING OFF THE SLIP RD ON MOTORWAY OR BRAKEING HARD

IS THIS WARPED DISCS?

:?:

P.S I DO NOT HAVE ABS

haha, i have the exact same thing, i posted up a while ago abt this, alot of ppl said they have the same thing too..... its just common that from what i can gather, and apparently changing ur discs can help. ps, sorry to hijack

Gav
11-09-2005, 19:54
al depending on how long your discs have been on the hub for but sometimes they kinda corrode themselves onto the hub which causes wobbling. Take the wheel off, get a rubber mallet and smack the disc off the hub then put copper grease on the hub where the disc sits.

Thats just 1 of the causes it could be dude. It could be that and the grinding could be wheel bearings? But the grinding sounds like what lunner says you need to change your pads. But if ur pads are screwed then you would see and feel a different in brake performance.

Good luck with it tho fella

mon
11-09-2005, 21:18
the discs are 3 yr old but i think they are after market cheapos from genral traffic .. i asked if they were good told me they were.. before this i use to use mintex discs had no trobble.. did not had this troble before the discs and pads were changed.. your poss thinking why take so long to sort it out .. it is because i do not use motor way mutch just street/rd driving never notice it then

also they are greenstuff pads

it fells like abs kicking in but mine has no abs (thank the gods) my old 16v had abs and it kicked in all the time

i was guessing it was front discs my self... or will it be rears? :?:

so is it better to change discs

the brake fuild was changed 2yr ago because i thought it was that it is castrol responce dot4