PDA

View Full Version : Broken suspension ring...

titcharoony
25-04-2008, 15:18
Been hearing a weird mettalic clunk from drivers side corner when going over bumps, was starting to annoy me so I took off wheel and had a look - it seems that the bottom coil on the spring has rusted and broken in two. and is the bit thats broken off thats making the noise.
Assuming ive only been into working on cars for a couple of years so still very much in the basic stage (but learning quick :) ) what exactly would be neccessary to replace? Just the spring itself Im assuming? And how easy is this to do? Can I drive the car ok whilst this is broken? Thanks for any advice/guidance on this.

titcharoony
25-04-2008, 16:04
just had a quick word with my bro - says he wouldnt drive the car as the sprin could potentially slip out - and it'll constantly been knackering the shock absorber as it is. Suggests a whole new strut. Also much easier to fit - just a bolt top and bottom? Mentioned that to replace the spring u need a spring compressor and its a right pain in the arse for sumthing seemingly simple. He just suggested to replace the whole strut as its much easier. Any thoughts? Im based in Epsom, surrey if anyone wants to earn themselves some quick cash as Im snowed under with coursework....

Coops
25-04-2008, 16:16
will need spring compressors to do it, easy job tho as hardest bit is gettin top nut to let go and thats gotta come off no matter what to get the strut out

can keep running on it provided that remove broken bit and the spring thats left isnt loose with car jacked up otherwise its unsafe, but either way it needs attention sooner rather than later and shorter spring will wear shocker quicker aswell as said

if i was replacing entire strut i'd do it in a pair, same with springs tbh but thats just matter of opinion.

titcharoony
25-04-2008, 16:24
ahh ok. would probably prefer to go down the road of a whole new strut to be honest - don't mind attemtping it myself - but if anyones in surrey and could do it id appreciate it, im doing 16 hour days on coursework here...really struggling and want it doing asap..

titcharoony
25-04-2008, 16:28
cash plus all the cups of tea you could want. ;) oh and a free RAC Renault tax disc holder

titcharoony
25-04-2008, 16:49
sorry, i ment a cup of tea and all the cash you could want :p

Coops
25-04-2008, 18:00
:lol: temptin mate but bit of a trek!i'll have to pass am afraid, sure someone will lend a hand tho

titcharoony
25-04-2008, 18:19
where wud u post for assistance? If all fails Ill just get a 2nd hand strut n do it myself. only 3 spanners on haynes?

Coops
25-04-2008, 19:10
general chat maybe?

teabag
26-04-2008, 14:45
where wud u post for assistance? If all fails Ill just get a 2nd hand strut n do it myself. only 3 spanners on haynes?

impact wrench or cracker bar will probs be needed for the strut top bolt

titcharoony
26-04-2008, 15:13
is it hard as to get off then - Ill have a word with mat brown, he might b able to send one out to me

BristolSam16v
27-04-2008, 17:40
Its recommended you replace struts in pairs. If you got an impact wrench top mount comes off pretty easy, otherwise you'd probably need a swan neck 19mm (iirc) spanner and an alan key. Would give you a hand as got a few free days but bristol to surrey is a bit of a trek!

If you're looking for new struts eurocarparts.com is a gd place, might as well buy new top bearings as well as they're fairly cheap.