PDA

View Full Version : tyre size

rickyquicky
24-04-2008, 13:35
hi all,

my willy 2 has 185/55/15 tyres on, so i presume this is factory standard?

has anyone tried a different tyre size such as a 185/50/15 or similar?

i think lower-profile might look a little better as i want to keep the car as standard as poss, but will it have a beneficial/detrimental effect on handling?

any recommendations?

Wobba
24-04-2008, 13:38
A lot of people rate 195/50/15 with Willy wheels mate, some go for lower profile but it's all down to personal taste I reckon.

Coops
24-04-2008, 13:39
i run 195/50 r15 mate, bit more grip from extra width and bit better round corners with shorted walls

but as said its personal taste and viewpoints

rickyquicky
24-04-2008, 13:42
i never knew a 195 tyre could fir on a rim designed for 185!

so does the tyre fit well or can you tell it wasnt really designed for it?

talkingfish
24-04-2008, 14:32
tyres have been discussed on here at length many times before.... I did have 195/50's on my Williams but whilst the grip was good I found the ride too harsh.... I have recently changed to 185/55's and am much happier with the results.... as already has been said, all down to personal taste really... but if Renault had wanted to car to be on 195's, it would have fitted them as standard eh????

Coops
24-04-2008, 14:36
no mate, if renault wanted a compromise between comfort and handling they would fit a 185/55 :wink:

i find the 195/50 better for fast road/track use

i have seen 205/45 fitted aswell on 7J wheels aswell, too harsh for me tho 45 profile

and yes 195 fit fine, its only a matter of 1cm. tbh if you go on width, 185 is too big aswell as a 7j (7 inch wheel) is only 178mm :P

rickyquicky
24-04-2008, 14:54
sweet, thanks for the info

when these need relacing im gonna try 195/50's all round

only drive the car rarely, so i can put up with a harsh ride!

eternalife
24-04-2008, 15:32
A lot of people go for the 195 50 15 tyres due to them being some £25 cheaper a corner (compared for Mich PE2's which imo are an AWESOME road tyre).

The 'handling' of a car can never be ideal for every situation a long sweeping corner favours one set up, and a couple of chicanes will favour another. Similarly, this can be said about the surfaces you drive on - road with pot holes and bumps, compared to a smooth track - hence making the intention for what you are intending to use the car an important factor in your decision.

Fact - Renault fitted 185 55 15 tyres to the Clio Williams.
Fact - Renault fitted 195 50 15 tyres to the 172 Mk1.

Although, what Coops said about renault compromising may be feasible I have seen no evidence of this. Also, as the Williams was a performance car (and originally only to have a very few number made) Renault may not have thought compromising on the handling for comfort to be a good idea, again I have seen no proof for-or-against this argument.

I personally do not believe that Renault were willing to compromise handling for comfort on the Williams yet chose not to do this on the 172, the Williams being a far more exclusive, orientated and (originally anticipated) limited run car, they would more likely not compromise on its handling for comfort. And as always there is more to the argument than just the tyre size difference.

Next, when porsche were employed by Audi for design input of the Audi RS2 (an estate car which did 0-30 faster than a McLaren F1!) they used narrower tyres in their set up which improved the handling. Although, bearing in mind many other changes occured, the car came with narrower tyres specifically for the fact it improved the handling.

The extra width/road contact argument also has many levels of discussion. Pressure needs to be considered accordingly for one. Also, the dynamics of having a wider contact region as opposed to a longer contact region also has huge implications and again is open to debate.

Finally, IMO the best thing to do is maybe get a passenger ride or (if somene is willing) drive a car on the 195 50 15 tyres and see what works for you. At the end of the day, 'each to their own' its your car and no one will know how you want your car to 'feel' more so than yourself.

Hope this helps.

Coops
24-04-2008, 17:00
okay i admit some applications may have different results, but for me the extra contact patch and runnin slightly lower pressures is a necessity of running lots of power and 15" wheels

eternalife
24-04-2008, 17:04
okay i admit some applications may have different results, but for me the extra contact patch and runnin slightly lower pressures is a necessity of running lots of power and 15" wheels

:) - my post wasnt to contradict you fella, just to make sure the questions surrounding the whole debarcle are noted.

PS: your car is bird poo metallic :lol:

Coops
24-04-2008, 19:46
oi, cheeky arse :wink:

MAXIBOY
24-04-2008, 21:05
i read the above with interest but also must state that tyre technology and sizes moved on loads between the williams and the 1 7 2 and that and cost etc also platys a major part in car manufacturers decision not just performance.

things moved on. when the williams was first released 185/55 15 were a high performance tyre.

but when the went all out for performance they ran 17/18 inch rims on there clios...

Coops
24-04-2008, 22:21
apart from cups which ran 15", but were a more compromised track based performance

in fact what tyres did cups run as standard mr northrop sir?

arj256
25-04-2008, 00:34
i read the above with interest but also must state that tyre technology and sizes moved on loads between the williams and the 1 7 2 and that and cost etc also platys a major part in car manufacturers decision not just performance.

things moved on. when the williams was first released 185/55 15 were a high performance tyre.

but when the went all out for performance they ran 17/18 inch rims on there clios...

When the Williams was released, there must of been a good reason for choosing that size of high performance tyre.
As the Renault 19 16v came out in the 90s. And that had 195/50/15s fitted to its wheels.
We also know that the 19 is the basis of the Williams wide track.
So there must of been some reasoning on the choice of tyre size over budget limitations.

MAXIBOY
25-04-2008, 00:51
i agree there may have been a good reason and it may have benefits in performance terms on a williams. but they could have been chosen to add a level of comfort to the williams too and not for all out performance....

we will never know.

i was just saying that things move on and at todays tyre market it would need to be great to justify paying more for 185/55...in my opinion.

i think there all to small anyway... :lol:

drsmith1979
25-04-2008, 05:51
i went from 195/45/15's to 195/50/15's and the difference was immense, better road comfort, less noise, felt a little more controlable, although i do admit the 45's gave it rock solid handling... but a little too harsh for everyday. The 185/55/15's are good and the purist will want them on their Willy, but for me, the performance doesn't justify the price. 50's perform great and they are cheap too... the best all rounder imo

Daz.
25-04-2008, 06:47
185/55/r15.

standard williams end of subject - no contest.

If the cars been played with in any way then thats thrown out the window and down to personal preference after that.

If you own a standard williams and bought it because of all its good press then your not really driving what you've read about if its not on 185's

I guess its a credit to the chassis setup that its so noticable on different sizes.

Coops
25-04-2008, 08:50
185/55/r15.

standard williams end of subject - no contest.

If the cars been played with in any way then thats thrown out the window and down to personal preference after that.

If you own a standard williams and bought it because of all its good press then your not really driving what you've read about if its not on 185's

I guess its a credit to the chassis setup that its so noticable on different sizes.

ah the so called purist, wanting the phase 1 grill on another thread :wink: :P

rickyquicky
25-04-2008, 10:22
talking of purists, im sure i read somewhere that there is supposed to be a sticker on the windscreen like a warning or something about the high power engine...

could be totally wrong but something like that anyway, anyone know? if so where can i get

Tommo
25-04-2008, 10:39
Yes there is, it reads something like....the high performance engine fitted to this car requires the oil level to be checked regularly, please check on each start....

Regarding tyres....it really is down to personal choice, my car is stiff as hell anyway so ride comfort is not an issue hence why I run 195/50/15, plus I'm yet to find another tyre as good and as cheap as the Eagle F1's

eternalife
25-04-2008, 10:44
Yes there is, it reads something like....the high performance engine fitted to this car requires the oil level to be checked regularly, please check on each start....

Regarding tyres....it really is down to personal choice, my car is stiff as hell anyway so ride comfort is not an issue hence why I run 195/50/15, plus I'm yet to find another tyre as good and as cheap as the Eagle F1's

Mich PE2's - Ordered 4 from blackcircles £160 + £10 delivery.

Coops
25-04-2008, 11:37
talking of purists, im sure i read somewhere that there is supposed to be a sticker on the windscreen like a warning or something about the high power engine...

could be totally wrong but something like that anyway, anyone know? if so where can i get

there was a run of replica stickers done not that long ago, pm northy :wink:

titcharoony
25-04-2008, 12:01
what was the original make of tyre for the williams?

Tommo
25-04-2008, 12:06
Michelin Pilot HX 185/55/15.....I have one on my spare!

Tommo
25-04-2008, 12:08

Is that in 195/50/15 size? That's good to know seen as Goodyear don't do the Eagle F1's anymore, may try these next

eternalife
25-04-2008, 12:36

Is that in 195/50/15 size? That's good to know seen as Goodyear don't do the Eagle F1's anymore, may try these next

Yep, in 195 50 15.
They supposedly last a long time too (a lot longer than F1's) although I haven't had them long enough to comment.
And, also heard they grain a bit on track. Nevertheless, Superb Road tyre IMHO.

Daz.
25-04-2008, 16:44
F1's are shit, hated them, well compared to what I have now - ****ing awesome tyres - in 185 anyway :D

And Mr Ben Cooper - ner ner ner :lol: I say lots of things doesn't mean I ever do them, I was thinking cold air feed but then thats not original either! :D

Coops
25-04-2008, 18:01
:P i love winding you up standard boy, it makes me happy :D

Daz.
25-04-2008, 18:33
:lol: I look forward to your next comment :D