PDA

View Full Version : I really need a new job

Daz.
24-04-2008, 09:00
Nights is killing me and I have no money to play with my willy :shock:

I'm quite prepared to jack it all and start again in a new direction.

Wheres all the decent wages these days? and what kind of skills are popular at the moment?

eternalife
24-04-2008, 09:26
What qual's / experience do you have?

1fast6
24-04-2008, 13:47
If someone suggests IT I'm going to eat my hat.

teabag
24-04-2008, 15:32
sports n leisure will be a cracker in the next few years, time to get the quals if u havent already.

titcharoony
24-04-2008, 17:36
lol y not IT?

Daz.
24-04-2008, 18:59
because I've been ****ed ovet twice now by companies I'm classed as semi skilled in being an auto electrcian, injection moulding support setter, and qualified as a data network engineer.

I don't really like doing any of those jobs though - the data engineer was by far the worst because it seems that job is mainly running up and down the country which is something I'm not able to do. so I'm more than happy to start again in a job where they were possibly train from scracth or begin you on a shit wage to progress - thing is it has to be now as when we buy our house i'll be stuck where I am and it will be much harder to break out into something new

big hp
24-04-2008, 19:12
Bricklaying.

I got made redundant from a high paying engineering job 3yrs ago after being there 9.5yrs. I went to college and enrolled on a 2yr bricklaying course. The first yr of my college i worked as a hod carrier started on £80 a day and ended up on £110 a day. In 2nd yr my boss put me on trowel as a improver bricklayer on £100 a day, now 2yrs on i'm earning £140 a day. Not a secret or bragging because any good bricklayer can get between £130 and £150 round my way at minute.

You'll always be in demand, new houses will aways need to be build, and the scope for private work in endless.

paudi294
24-04-2008, 19:25
scrap m8 get in to dat ull b minted

Daz.
24-04-2008, 19:40
Bricklaying.

I got made redundant from a high paying engineering job 3yrs ago after being there 9.5yrs. I went to college and enrolled on a 2yr bricklaying course. The first yr of my college i worked as a hod carrier started on £80 a day and ended up on £110 a day. In 2nd yr my boss put me on trowel as a improver bricklayer on £100 a day, now 2yrs on i'm earning £140 a day. Not a secret or bragging because any good bricklayer can get between £130 and £150 round my way at minute.

You'll always be in demand, new houses will aways need to be build, and the scope for private work in endless.

I've always worried that there will be times when you simply aren't working is that ever the case though?

Also I don't do heights all that well - when I say that I mean I can be high but only if I feel safe - being up a scaffold is a no no!

big hp
24-04-2008, 19:57
You get cold days and wet days but generally your ok.

For every day i work i save £20 to cover me for any rain or cold days.

Cant work on scaffolding kills it stone dead mate. TBH you get used to it

Daz.
24-04-2008, 20:03
doubt it work paid for me to go on a cherry picker course, I walked out after 2 hours I simply couldn't get past a certain height.

Andy P
24-04-2008, 20:46
Any building trade is the way to go mate. Thats where the money is as Scott says.

Im a sparky and doing quite well now. Only been qualified since xmas and now im the foreman. Things have happened quite quickly :lol:

Lunner
24-04-2008, 21:14
ATM anything construction or building, i'm a site engineer on a construction site and going wage is £20-£25 an hour freelance, but you need to be half decent and put up with the rain.

Only shitter will be if/when a recession hits, hopefully this gov can keep us outa a recession

Tommo
25-04-2008, 10:45
I'm a CAD draughtsman and I love it, it's a good career and very much in demand at the moment, and the money is v good too if u go freelance. Only downside is u need to go to uni for 2 years to do the Civil Eng HNC to earn the big money

J o n
25-04-2008, 11:32
Daz, if your background is IT then I'd stick to it. I'm doing the IP and digital telephony at the moment and set up call center call flows, scripts, voice recording, the menu options etc etc etc where I work... it's pretty fun and you'll start on around £25+, do the admin course like I have (it only costs £1.5k) and you'll easily earn over £30k and not have to do a great deal (you wont, as you'll only be expected to make what are fairly basic and non time consuming changes).

I'm currently learing towards my Nortel NNCSE and NNCDE, after which I'd be doing badly not to earn over £60k... most places on job serve offer WELL over £100k, which sounds insane, but tbh that's the norm, some I have seen are well into the £300k+ band! Guy I work with recently left for £120+ car and benefits

northy
25-04-2008, 13:18
As tommo says CAD is good to get into but getting to a highly paid job initially wont happen.

Daz.
25-04-2008, 16:37
Right now after looking into finances and knowing I have to buy a house at the end of the year with the missus I can go as far down as £13,500 to train for something - -surely someone would give me a chance for that!

J o n
25-04-2008, 16:41
training at what Daz? Is this for CAD?

Whatever the role that seems extremely low. The company I work for pay slightly under average on the most part, but 1st line telephone IT support for someone with NO experience is £17'500 minimum with life cover, private health and non contributory pension.

Daz.
25-04-2008, 16:47
Thats it fella I'd be happy to do ANYTHING right now - I'm very depressed at the moment, hell I'd go clean if it got me off nights and onto normal house out of that place....

Its just looking in the right place at the right time I guess- I look everyday on the job websites and in the local papers and I've not seen anything suitable for weeks, anything that is suitable you must be trained yada yada yada - thats my problem I want out NOW, I can't be training for 2 years to do something while I'm there, thats why right now any job will suffice that I'm happy with and happy with the hours, then I can look at buiding a career - I'm 26 now and I fell like i've wasted the last ten years :roll:

number1
25-04-2008, 17:59
I Was out of work for 5 months mate looking for a job after i walked out of one, whatever you do dont leave your current job until you have another job finalised, its soo hard to get a job if your unemployed, im currently an apprentice hydraulic engineer and i love it, each day i do something new, boss is good as gold and have just recieved a bonus today because we have been busy since i started 2 months ago, its taking me in a career path that will always lead to something, hydraulics are an everyday item and you wouldnt believe how much they are used

Dave

Daz.
25-04-2008, 18:32
well we use them lots in my current job so I know how vital they are for us anyway!

Tommo
25-04-2008, 23:50
As tommo says CAD is good to get into but getting to a highly paid job initially wont happen.

Yeah CAD is notorious for low pay initially, but it does increase quickly once you get experience, and as soon as you get the qualifications then the rates go thru the roof! CAD guys I know are on £32ph, this is the top rate tho...

Joel
26-04-2008, 11:48
Electricain.

I'm a 3rd Year Apprentice and Im Earning £19,500.

rising to £24,500 when i qualify next summer, also if you work for hiltons electrical all our work is in the North West, Burnley, Preston, Liverpool, Manchester, Salford ETC. :wink:

Daz.
26-04-2008, 14:58
^^ to be honest I've always liked doing the electrical work so I may stick with that....

Get me a job young man!! :D Although visitng Burnley doesn't appeal all that much :lol:

FATBOY
26-04-2008, 18:30
plumber????? ive been 12 years qualified in the trade. has its good days and its bad days. dont belive the papers when they say were making millions!!! lol. but it does pay well. and like any trade(as scott(big hp) said) the earning potential for private work is good! im doing my second bathroom in 3 weeks, £350 a bathroom(fit only) and only work one day a week privately(saturdays).

must admit though there are alot of people jumping on the plumbing band wagon!!!

16v_paddy
27-04-2008, 07:39
ATM anything construction or building, i'm a site engineer on a construction site and going wage is £20-£25 an hour freelance, but you need to be half decent and put up with the rain.

Only shitter will be if/when a recession hits, hopefully this gov can keep us outa a recession

This gov would struggle to organise a p1ss up in a fcuking brewery :evil:

good luck with the jobhuntin fella, just keep at it you will get there eventually, just takes time and paitence. I know what its like bein stuck doin a job u hate

katbloke
27-04-2008, 09:58
Get a job on the railways, i jacked in a 15 year sentence in the NHS im now a signalling installer and my starting pay was 20,270 soon to be upped with a 3.95% pay rise, probarbly earnt 26-27k this year, compared to the 14k i was getting in the NHS

16v_paddy
27-04-2008, 10:05
^^^^ Railways is the way to go, my m8 is a signals tester or sumat like that, started on £16k bout 3 years ago now hes on £25k and lookin at another pay rise soon! And the overtime he's doin atm, the b4stard's gettin a grand a week :shock:

Still drives a jap crap ghey coupay, silly car (celica GT4) :lol:

Daz.
27-04-2008, 10:27
like the ideas! some I'd never even heard or though about :D

katbloke
27-04-2008, 11:15
^^^^ Railways is the way to go, my m8 is a signals tester or sumat like that, started on £16k bout 3 years ago now hes on £25k and lookin at another pay rise soon! And the overtime he's doin atm, the b4stard's gettin a grand a week :shock:

Whos he work for mate, some of our testers are on 70k a year

Lunner
27-04-2008, 11:19
TBH anything construction related is the place to be, the construction industry is on a HUGE boom, but depending on what happens to the economy the arse could fall outa it big time

katbloke
27-04-2008, 11:23
TBH anything construction related is the place to be, the construction industry is on a HUGE boom, but depending on what happens to the economy the arse could fall outa it big time
I think thats a good idea. The reason i opted for the railways is because the government are throwing so much money into public transport to get vehicles off the road that rail companies can afford to pay a good wage and also i would never want to be a bus or taxi driver

16v_paddy
27-04-2008, 11:34

Whos he work for mate, some of our testers are on 70k a year

Balfour Beatty or whatever they're callin themselves this week :lol: He aint been doin testing 4 long, only just got 1 of the exam/test/licence or whatever it is u need recently, he hasnt been doin the paperwork as he's bein a money grabbin B4STARD :roll: with all the overtime on offer atm

katbloke
27-04-2008, 11:42
I did 26 1/4 hours overtime last week and am lodging this week and doing 11.5 hour days so happy days when i get paid again, balfour beatty have just taken over dean and diabolcal railways i believe

Lunner
27-04-2008, 12:02
I haven't even finished uni yet, set up as a freelance site engineer, with own ltd company, got the skills there to do railways or construction, doing a clean water plant for Severn Trent in Birmingham at the moment.

On this site std week is 50 hours, but always scope for overtime, site engineer is big bucks if you've got the right way of thinking

ThRaXaIR
27-04-2008, 14:47
houses arent where its at guys! persimmons announced no new building work is to be carried out on their sites for now, and the other builders are set to follow suit. im a sparky and i think im getting made redundant next week so dont go in to house bashing! till things recover

Joel
29-04-2008, 19:21
Tbh mate, enroll on City and Guilds 2230 Level 3 in electrical installation.

and 17th Edition wiring regs pass these 90% of companys will set u on as a "Trainee"

Daz.
29-04-2008, 22:13
^^^ that was the plan to be honest fella - I'm more than happy to be training while working to work to a decent job but I really do have to get off nights to do that - If you knew me you'd know how much of a baby I am when it comes to sleep :lol: I have to have at least 7 hours kip or I'm the worst person in the world :lol:

simonr85
01-05-2008, 10:45
Im the same, stuck in a dead end job, just had a £500 per year pay rise (what am i supposed to do with an extra £6 a week??) and inflation has probably gone up by more this year.

Ive got an A level in ICT and an A level in Computing, an AS in mathematics and an AS in Business studies, and still cant get a job over £15k a year, most places want experience but how can you have experience just leaving college.

Where are you from thejesus?

fasterthanjesus
01-05-2008, 11:32
cisco pays good if your staying in IT.

otherwise get out of IT. Its dead on its arse.

Joel
01-05-2008, 21:34
^^^ that was the plan to be honest fella - I'm more than happy to be training while working to work to a decent job but I really do have to get off nights to do that - If you knew me you'd know how much of a baby I am when it comes to sleep :lol: I have to have at least 7 hours kip or I'm the worst person in the world :lol:

i was the same at the place i hated working nights.

I worked as an apprentice engineer, so had to work 2days 2nights 4 off.

But 12hr nights nackering :(