PDA

View Full Version : willy gearbox

spikey-ben
24-04-2008, 07:31
Just baught myself a willy 1 and i absolutly love it but itr seems when im driving now and then i struggle to engage 2nd and 3rd gear. it dosent do it very often so i dont think its the gearbox knacked but if it is wot should i expect to pay to get it recon also is it posible to adjust the linkage.
Cheers Ben

MAXIBOY
24-04-2008, 07:48
does the lever move loads on gearchange and under acceleration

spikey-ben
24-04-2008, 17:28
yeah it moves quite a bit when you go on/off the throtle when driving

talkingfish
24-04-2008, 19:37
look for about £300 for a decent re-furb - try Competition Transmission Services - they know how to get rid of the weak points of a Williams box... bank on another £300 to get the engine out to change it unless you are friends with a good mechanic!!!

A replacement box from Renault is about £650 and that is still only refurbished!!!

katbloke
24-04-2008, 20:08

Try a new dog bone mount first, i think thats what maxiboy may have been hinting at

Tommo
24-04-2008, 20:23
lol @ talkingfish, the poor lad is probably crapping himself now :lol: .....if the box isn't making any nasty whining noises or crunching into gears then the chances are it will be the dogbone mount or gear linkage, also try a fresh gear oil change.......if you decide on refurb then KN Transmissions in Preston come highly recommended....

BristolSam16v
24-04-2008, 20:45
When u say its moving, hw much is the gearstick moving, a couple of cm is normal tbh.

Sounds silly but are you sure you're pushing the clutch all the way down? Few times I've had trouble getting into gear and it was just because I didn't push the clutch down quite far enough...

MAXIBOY
24-04-2008, 20:54

Try a new dog bone mount first, i think thats what maxiboy may have been hinting at

:D yeah sure was better 15/20 quid than a rebuild

talkingfish
24-04-2008, 22:09
lol @ talkingfish, the poor lad is probably crapping himself now :lol: .....if the box isn't making any nasty whining noises or crunching into gears then the chances are it will be the dogbone mount or gear linkage, also try a fresh gear oil change.......if you decide on refurb then KN Transmissions in Preston come highly recommended....

twas not my intention to alarm.... lol!! :lol:

spikey-ben
24-04-2008, 22:50

twas not my intention to alarm.... lol!! :lol:

lol think i will replace dogbone mount first and change oil in box.
£300 pounds for a referb isnt the end of the world really but its money i could be using on nthe rest of the car. Just been to body shop to av some rear arches and sills priced up and the painters tol me he wants to put a full rear quarter panel in if he can find one.
Cheers for the good advice tho i just want to get my car back to nice a standard :)

MAXIBOY
24-04-2008, 23:27
full rear quarters are available from renault still at 375 quid i think...

Tommo
24-04-2008, 23:34
Really? Thought they were double that from reno... :shock:

Another (cheaper) option would be to cut the rust out and weld a new piece in, depends on the extent of the rust really...

MAXIBOY
24-04-2008, 23:53
yeah was quoted that last time i asked.. :)

or get fibreglass replacements and be done with it all...

cliorod
25-04-2008, 00:24
As recommended KN Transmissions @ Preston, Usually have a set fee of £150 plus parts to strip/rebuild ANY gearbox.
They are currently building a DRENTH straight cut cluster,with a plated diff LSD.for my mates Rally Ford Puma :twisted: :twisted: ,and also a BE3 Peugeot 205 Challenge spec rally gearbox,this entails fitting a new CWP to the QUAIFE ATB. :lol:
I took both boxes over on Monday and I due to pick them up ~~ BOTH ,Saturday morning :wink: :wink:

Tommo
25-04-2008, 07:55
yeah was quoted that last time i asked.. :)

or get fibreglass replacements and be done with it all...

You got any more info on these mate, I wasn't aware fibreglass ones were available for the willy, wouldn't have to worry about the dreaded rust anymore!

MAXIBOY
25-04-2008, 08:26
http://www.fastcarspares.com/home.php?cat=305

there you go mate...bonnets doors boot front and rear wings

spikey-ben
25-04-2008, 17:54
Cheers for the info on grp panels. how good do you think they are compared to steel ones?

MAXIBOY
25-04-2008, 18:30
great for track use only on a road car with a full cage i think...

spikey-ben
25-04-2008, 19:17
Yeah thought so. i think i'll av to bite the bullet and buy new rear quarter off renno. Got a price of crystal renno in boston today for £292+vat
I forgot to find out how much full sills are because there different to a normal clio as well i think.

MAXIBOY
25-04-2008, 19:37
hi mate think the quarters come with most if not all the sill too..not 100% sure but think so. p.s thats a good price. :)

spikey-ben
25-04-2008, 20:30
Yeah i think i'll av to order myself one in the next few weeks good job im getting plenty of overtime at the moment. Its worst than a drug habit this williams addiction but worth it in the end.