PDA

View Full Version : cleaning arches

scotte666
16-06-2005, 19:50
is it worth cleanign out all the mud/crap that has got in the rear arches?thought maybe of clearing them out and rust proofing before any rust appears. or is this likely to make this worse as i thought it might protect the arches a bit.

KingStromba
16-06-2005, 19:51
The cleaner and more loved your car, the less rust it will have. :D

scotte666
16-06-2005, 20:06
rust........dont have any of that lol. i had a look but as is all hard caked on whats the best way to remove it??

KingStromba
16-06-2005, 20:07
Hot water? :roll:

Lunner
16-06-2005, 20:08
When ever i wash my car i stick teh hsoe pipe in teh arch and get my fingers in there and scrape all teh mud off the arch lip, as its my reasoning that the mud that sits tehre causes the rust

KingStromba
16-06-2005, 20:10
When ever i wash my cock i stick teh hsoe pipe in my ass and get my fingers in there and scrape all teh mud off the ring lip, as its my reasoning that the mud that sits tehre causes AIDS

:shock:

scotte666
16-06-2005, 20:11
il give it a Go at the weekend.is there anything i should put inside to protect them from rust or is waxoyl the best?

scotte666
16-06-2005, 20:12
il give it a Go at the weekend.is there anything i should put inside to protect them from rust or is waxoyl the best?

northy
16-06-2005, 20:14
i use oil white spirits to wet the mud and clean it off...works great.

As for rust prevention. go to halfords and buy a spray can of dinitrol....wheel arch wax...its great and stays on even when pounded from road water.

Lunner
16-06-2005, 20:19
i use oil white spirits to wet the mud and clean it off...works great.

As for rust prevention. go to halfords and buy a spray can of dinitrol....wheel arch wax...its great and stays on even when pounded from road water.

Waxol is the orignal and the best, know loads of older blokes that ahve worked on farms around machinary for most of their lives that swear by the stuff

northy
16-06-2005, 20:22
ive used waxoil mate - and ive never been happy with the results.

Im now semi professional with the dinotrol stuff....

ive cut a rusted still out of the skoda last year which was supposing protected with waxoil...but over the hot year it had all gloooped together and fallen away from the metal...

DINITROL now mate.

KingStromba
16-06-2005, 20:23
Ive never seen rust spread under waxoyl. And ive had some rusty sheds.

Personally i think waxoyl and the like are for rust areas you are too lazy to treat or for cars you dont care about, or as a temp fix until you have time to treat properly.

Rust should be cut / sanded / filed away and then treated and painted. IMO

northy
16-06-2005, 20:26
well like everything in this world...use the products and see the results for yourself...but the wax has to stick to the metal to protect it.

There are loads of wax prevention fluid out there lads....dinitrol is my choice.

Its a messy job as well.

scotte666
16-06-2005, 20:58
is it bad if i get it on the paintwork or does it wipe off ok

northy
16-06-2005, 21:08
no just use white sprits to clean it off.

I if was doing mine again...you want to get into all teh cavites (subframe, doors, bonnet, tailgate, sills) in fact anywhere you can get the probe into...give a really good spray and dont worry if it runs out in places.

there are alot of acsess holes on the clios to allow for rust prevention wax.

mon
04-09-2005, 21:56
used wax oil on my 5 turbo years ago on the tail gate ( it just started rusting) and it never went any futher also i used it on the front wings when i first got it and they never rusted

when i got my secound clio i did the tail gate ( it was rust free ) only the drain holes have a bit of just thats it also inside the wiper arm hole no rust there also and when i first did the tail gate if i did not use wax oil it WOULD of rusted due to the is bog all paint on inside..

but i do want to do the arches...