PDA

View Full Version : Bookshelf speaker recommendation

Purple
19-04-2008, 01:51
What's good value these days for less than 60 GBP? I use to read What hifi mags years ago, but have lost touch. Need some recommendations on new or used bookshelf speakers to look at. Driving them with a 2 x 10 watt class-T amp. Cheers.

Daz.
19-04-2008, 13:40
Your running resitors or a Tri-valve valve amp? if its the latter I'm very impressed but if you only want to spend £60 I'm guessing not (add at least another zero :D )

I preffered Hi-fi World they gave an unbiased opinion rather that what hi-fis pay us lots of money and get a five star review :lol:

Up your budget to a ton, you'll get far more for your money

Purple
19-04-2008, 16:10
No, not valves amps. I have 2 Tripath amps - namely, Sonic Impact 5066 and another ones from a little known HK company - Yulong. They cost peanuts compared to valve amps, but possess pretty amazing sound in their own right. Did a quick A/B test of the Yulong against my faithful old Exposure XX amp the other day and the Yulong did sound a tad better to my ears. It cost me less than 50 GBP, so I figured I should look for speakers around that price range. The S.I. T-amp is even cheaper!

Some net reviews of the S.I. T-amp.
http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/amplifiers/sonic-impact/PRD_337728_1583crx.aspx

Daz.
19-04-2008, 18:44
Your saying it sounds better than the 20??? :shock: LINK PLEASE!!

I had to sell my XXV years ago for funds but I always missed it - I preffered 'just' the sound of the XX but couldn't live without the remote!

I had a then as new Exposure CD player to go with it and some 751 freedoms - I used to get a mega discount in the shop I used to work in part time or I'd have never owned any of it!

Daz.
19-04-2008, 18:45
lol how did i miss those links?? :lol:

Purple
20-04-2008, 00:51
Hey Daz, we must be hifi soulmates! :D My "PC speaker" is a pair of mk1 Mission 780SE driven by the XX. In my living room, I have XIX/XVII pre/power Exposures driving Mission 754 Freedom. TaraLabs cables/interconnects all round. All circa early 90s stuff.

If you like the Exposure/Naim sound, the Yulong is highly recommended. Similar warmth of the XX but with stronger bass, a bit more detail and bigger soundstage. The S.I. 5066 is more clinical, weaker bass but with a ridiculously huge soundstage. For their cheapo prices, the T-amps have no equal by a huge margin. Now, all I need is cheapo, high sensitivity speakers with ass-kicking performance to go with them! :)

Daz.
20-04-2008, 11:06
The yulong looks a bit hard to get hold of!

With shipping it turns into £100, I could do with a new amp as my very old Cyrus 1 decided to start playing silly buggers :cry: