PDA

View Full Version : seems its not just me with the oil problem, help appreciated

mk1-ryan
17-04-2008, 02:15
Hi all, Bassicly I have a 92 phase 1 valver and Ive been throwing a fair bit of money at it to get it up to scratch as the previous owner was a bit of a numpty,

Anyway I always take it to the same place becuase there is a great french mechanic there who I get on with quite well and he gets alot of good feedback here (Hull). So last time I took it to him for a full service and he noticed there was allot of oil in the spark plug tubes, you couldnt even see the tips of the plugs at first so he has cleaned all the oil out he could and on looking today ive noticed a bit more oil coming through... not to sure if thats just oil left from before or more but either way its annoying becuase he said he cant see where it is coming from.

They also have another valver just come in which has exacly the same oil problem... I took the plastic cover off over the rocker cover and tried to clean the oil out but it was pretty impossible, anyway I was wondering if anyone could help me with it and tell me any possibilitys it could be, I am going to take it back to the garage in a week or so but I cant see them coming up with something...

I also wondered if oil on the spark plugs would affect my performance at all? most people I have asked said no but my mate says it would quite alot in terms of pull.

Thanks all anyway and any advice appreciated

my valver:
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc274/hivez/PIC-0085.jpg

Purple
17-04-2008, 04:54
Have you change the rocker gasket? Or, if the leak is not too bad, just tighten the head bolts a little bit (but not too much), that might tame it. Not hard to change the gasket though.

DaveH
17-04-2008, 07:56
Was it in the spark plug wells before he took the plugs out? If so its unlikely to be anything to do with the head bolts. It'll prob be one of two things. Like purple said it most probably is the cam cover gasket but also if somebody has spilled oil and missed the cap when topping up the oil usually ends up in there. The oil is probably only on the tips of the plug because the well was full and when the plugs were removed theres only one place the oil will go!

white16valver
17-04-2008, 08:03
BenR said I had loads in mine when he did the last service, but tbh I've just ignored it as it uses oil anyway so a bit more lost out that way won't hurt LoL :lol:

MAXIBOY
17-04-2008, 08:56
as above rocker cover gasket needs replacing. 6 quid i think from gsf....

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/

Oszy
17-04-2008, 09:55
two possibilities:
1, when you filled the car with fresh oil, some went beside.
2, rocker cover gasket
if you replace the gasket with the original paper type, than within 2weeks you will face with the same situation.
my oppinion is to use paste, instead of the original paper type of gasket

BRUN
17-04-2008, 12:13
its just the rocker gasket, wont cost much to do

bradus
17-04-2008, 14:46
how easy is the rocker gasket to change as i think i have the same problem

Oszy
17-04-2008, 15:38
about 10-12screw's only 8)

mk1-ryan
17-04-2008, 16:13
cant find the part anywhere even on that site, whats the part number and ill ring renault and ask them, cheers dudes

mk1-ryan
17-04-2008, 16:14
also do you have a pic of the part im confused what it actually is, is it the plastic cover? cheers

mk1-ryan
17-04-2008, 16:19
hi all, i went on that website gsfcarparts.com and found the part with the part number of R11010 cheers, but anyone know what they look like? cheers

Wobba
17-04-2008, 16:38
Rocker cover is simple and cheap.

Are tehre any core plugs in that area which could leak?

What colour was the oil in the spark plug wells? Gold? If so its just spillage I reckon fom oil top-ups.

Often the oil in the plugs area will slowly seep down the thread of the spark and contaminate the contacts of the plug itself. Easy to check by looking at the plugs themselves. Remember to disconnect battery before trying this.

If they get very oily you will get misfires.

If you do the gasket, you may find the old one is stuck to the alloy surfaces. Make sure you clean and remove (carefully!) the old gasket remnants. Replacing the cover is easy, just make sure you apply the correct light amount of torque to the bolts and have gasket the right way round (it's hard to get wrong imo!).

I used lots of absorbant cloth and then tissues to get the oil out of the spark holes before taing the plugs out to check them. Dont worry if a bit of oil escapes into the pistons. It will smoke a bit on first startup, but it's no biggie.