PDA

View Full Version : Accelerator pedal stuck down

Scougar
14-04-2008, 15:56
Hi guys,

This is to do with my wifes clio mk1 automatic (as I sold my solid blue valver for a rusted jap car lol.. kinda miss it now!). The pedal is just "clicking" and then hitting the floor and stays down. I can replicate the problem in the engine bay by just pulling on the cable (when the engine is off).

There appears to be some sort of damper unit on the throttle cable with some form of vacuum/pressure tube(?) coming off it. Just wondering if anyone else has had these problems and knows if a new throttle cable will sort it out, as it is getting dangerous to drive like this for her. (She needs the car as she is a mobile care worker 7 days a week).

Thanks guys,
Matthew

BRUN
15-04-2008, 13:04
is it like a small tailgate damper ?.......if so, you might be able to run without it, they get stuck and cause problems

my mums 206 diesel had one on, we took it off

Scougar
16-04-2008, 09:20
To be honest, I haven't had a chance to look at it, as wife is working all the hours at the moment. I've ordered a new one (£23) and hope it is that, but wondered if it is a common fault.

What precisely do you mean by 'tail-gate' damper? (looking it up now).

Matthew

Scougar
16-04-2008, 09:22
Being thick, realised you mean like a gas strut (d'oh!)

It is covered by a rubber boot so I don't know.. will have a look tonight if possible (she doesn't finish till 9pm though and will prob order me not to look at the car as it is too late lol).

Matthew

Scougar
17-04-2008, 20:59
Looked tonight and had a fiddle. Turned out that it wasn't the cable as such but the clip that holds the cable onto the pedal had gone missing. Used cables ties to hold it back on. Should be secure.

Reason it was a wierd on is that the connector is L-shaped so it keep hooking around the pedal everytime the pedal was pulled up and making it work until it slipped off again.

Saved me buying a new cable :D (£23)

Matthew