PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs - Iridium/Platinum ???

BRUN
16-06-2005, 00:47
anyone ever tried any iridium/platinum plugs in their williams/valver ?

the standard NGK plug is BKR6EK but i was thinkin of trying the Iridium version

Mark_Ritchspeed
16-06-2005, 09:10
Stick to whats recommended. You get no performance advantage from plugs, unless your existing plugs are the wrong temperature for your engine. If your current plugs are not being burnt out, there is no need for a hotter temp (i.e harder) spark plug.

I only use Bosch Super 4's in the Clio because they tend to last longer due to the 4 electrodes. They dont give any performance advantage.

If your engine is heavily tuned and the cylinder temperatures are much hotter than normal, you may need to go to a higher grade plug then.

Of course if they are the same price and designed for the same cylinder temps then theres no harm in trying them.

The amount of boy-racers we get in saying they are running this and that type plug and its much better always makes me giggle. The only reason the engine is more responsive is because they are comparing old knackered plugs with brand new ones.

BenR
16-06-2005, 09:47
Dont bother, a well modified NGK BKR is the best you can get.

BRUN
16-06-2005, 18:32
K-Tec 'uprated' plugs are a 7 heat range instead of 6

although i dont thrash my car about all the time, it is chipped with cams

Mark_Ritchspeed
16-06-2005, 18:50
Whats the point in having a higher heat range plug than standard though. Plugs are designed for specific applications and unless your running heavily advanced ignition and/or high compression the higher grade plugs will be operating outside of their required range nearly all the time.

Having a plug that requires too much heat is as bad as having a crap plug in your engine.

Mine runs perfectly on standard NGK plugs with cams, chip, decat, zorst and filter . Ok, curently its running on the Bosch Super 4's but they are quite old now and will be replaced with the NGK's again at replacement time.

Uprated plugs are useless in 90% of road going motors. They would run better with the correct grade in there to start with.

BRUN
16-06-2005, 23:54
yea, the temp wasnt something i was thinking of changing, just asking your opinion on it

i think when i next change the plugs ill try some Iridiums see if they make any difference

BenR
17-06-2005, 01:35
NGK's are the best, they have a brilliantly wide heat range for any grade of plug i've used.

I didnt even have to swap them when running nitro!