PDA

View Full Version : just bought a willy 190-200hp

midge
11-04-2008, 21:08
Right, just bought a williams, usaul rusty arch few scrapes e.t.c.. but the important bit is the engine, the guy i was buying it off had a 'rally' engine installed by a person who built the engine and had it in his clio, he told me it was well built e.t.c but i asked him for the guys details so i could ring him, which i did, he told me the spec which i wrote down -

piper 270 cams
vernier pulleys
106 degree timing
ported/polished head
3 angle seats
tb has butterfly bell mouth on it
skimmed head
je pistons forged
corello(probably spelt wrong) rods forged
cosworth con rod bolts
crank lightened balanced polished
flywheel lightened
sump baffled
198bhp @fly - when he finished it and had it on engine dyno, i have a printout from the current owner showing 162hp ATW

so what do i do -

-brake the williams and put the engine in my car with my cat cams
-fix the arch's e.t.c and sell the williams
-just sell the williams
-do some sort of combination where by i get the good bits and the williams leaves me standard

This car is FAST i would say its as quick/maybe a bit quicker than my hybrid, and this is a fully loaded williams.

16v_paddy
11-04-2008, 21:21
I'd fix the rot an keep it but thats just me

But puttin the willy back to std sellin it and keepin the good bits for your hybrid seems to be the best plan imo

midge
11-04-2008, 21:27
also what do you guys think its worth ?

wavy
11-04-2008, 21:34
from what iv picked up a hybrid is cheaper and easer all round than owning a williams like insurance and mot
the engine mods sound sweet and worth keeping :)

samboRT
12-04-2008, 01:14
sell the engine to me for 500 quid

AndyFielder
12-04-2008, 04:35
when you sell of an engine.. fit a valver sump and sell me the williams item!

donsrno1
12-04-2008, 10:05
Personally I would probably pop the engine from the williams in the hyrbid, and then put the hybrid one in the williams then sell the williams car on as a whole. Alternatively sell me the engine depending on price to save me turboing mine :lol: .

Andy P
12-04-2008, 10:24
Swap the lumps and get it gone. Leave the cat cams in there. Whats the point in changing them if its running that power?

AndyFielder
12-04-2008, 12:20
midge i would keep the cat cams.. we all know they are better + you have more history on them... i wouldnt be quick to stick in a second hand engine... unless you have all the receipts of the rebuild that was done.

Andy

jay s
12-04-2008, 18:53
midge i would keep the cat cams.. we all know they are better + you have more history on them... i wouldnt be quick to stick in a second hand engine... unless you have all the receipts of the rebuild that was done.

Andy

why exactly are they better?, ive had mine do over 30k now and have'nt had a problem and they make good power ( 14.104 @ 100.49mph running lean :wink: )

J o n
14-04-2008, 13:54
Cat's have more valve lift at TDC that Piper cams and general consensus is that Cat are among the top camshaft manufacturer... Piper aren't.

1/4 mile times are irrelevant too, how many people on here can say their car had a full interior or JUST the back seats and spare removed? It loses meaning for comparative purposes when the cars about 150kg's below it's stock weight.

DaveH
14-04-2008, 19:21
The cat cam 225's have a valve lift of 1.55/1.30 at tdc, piper 270's have valve lift of 1.93/1.47. Even the 208's have less valve lift but tbf it does say (with clearance) on the piper catalogue. I only say because im debating which cams to go for and there doesnt seem to be any cams that are direct comparisons spec wise anyway they all seem to be in between each other! Ive heard very good things about both piper and cat cams- seems to depend on which tuning expert you speak to!

Anyway swap the engines and do a bit of tidying of the williams and sell it standard in my opinion.

stan
14-04-2008, 19:37
you cant really compare directly, EVEN if lift at tdc figures duration or full lift are the same, the actual profile can be and is different.

Manufacturing process wise, Catcams are better. profile range wise Catcams are better. From MY experiences, Catcams yield better performance. You have to remember, theres little consideration to peak figures in my book. as always, the are great for forums, but when it comes to building a quick car they mean jack shit.....net torque figures make a quick car...a nice fat, flat torque curve.

midge
14-04-2008, 21:16
ive had both, catcams ftw.