PDA

View Full Version : heat

fasterthanjesus
10-04-2008, 13:13
i am propably going to emigrate to australia next year. with the cost of cars in oz being high, i might consider taking the old girl with me.

with temperatures reaching 37-40 being uncommon, what should i do to make the car cope with the extreme temperatures?

silicon hoses? copper rad? vented bonnet?

titcharoony
10-04-2008, 13:26
doesnt the 'water wetter' stuff keep your coolant even cooler? might an an addition... also a fan switch inside the car to keep ur fan on constantly - or at least whenever you wish.

wavy
10-04-2008, 13:26
i would of thought it would be fine ?
u could add that water wetter stuff (or a drop of washing up liquid) in the rad

titcharoony
10-04-2008, 13:27
or a drop of washing up liquid? care to explain?

white16valver
10-04-2008, 14:08
There was someone running one in Hong Kong, wasn't there?

He said it used to get to 40-odd degrees there so I imagine it will be fine :)

Probably worth fitting a low temperature thermostat and low temperature fan switch though, and you can try the old trick of turning the heater fans on in traffic to take the heat out of the engine a bit (but you do cook yourself lol)

If you did use the heater trick (or even if you didn't) it might be worth changing the heater matrix and rad for new items, and flushing the system fully so it's minty clean inside and has good flow with no blockages :)

titcharoony
10-04-2008, 14:11
i agree. i got a low temp thermo and switch i think for £40 from k-tec iirc. I always have these things on my car.

Purple
10-04-2008, 15:00
Nothing special is needed to acclimatise the Williams to the tropical heat. Just make sure the water cooling system is in tip top condition, that's all. Plus most cities in Australia only get really hot in Jan & Feb. Most other times, it's not that bad. Your major problem will be spares parts, as the mk1 clios were never distributed there. But there's always Matbrown International Rescue!

titcharoony
10-04-2008, 15:04
lol matbrown international rescue. I guess all the things we've suggested are optional. But a good flush/bleed is defo required before going over there. and regularly when ur over there. Also, did anyone decide whether crumbing a washing powder tablet in the day before you flush (driving it before obv) - actaully works? I did it, but insure of benefits

MatrixGuy
10-04-2008, 16:39
Nothing special is needed to acclimatise the Williams to the tropical heat. Just make sure the water cooling system is in tip top condition, that's all. Plus most cities in Australia only get really hot in Jan & Feb. Most other times, it's not that bad. Your major problem will be spares parts, as the mk1 clios were never distributed there. But there's always Matbrown International Rescue!

lol. :lol:

speed
10-04-2008, 17:22
i agree. i got a low temp thermo and switch i think for £40 from k-tec iirc. I always have these things on my car.

mat brown sells these for 6-7 quid

titcharoony
10-04-2008, 19:53
matt brown only writes on normal ones 'low temp' with wax crayon tho.

stan
10-04-2008, 20:00
you can buy them at a motor factors for about £4...

Dave
I would fit a new rad mate, and fully flush the cooling system.
Hoes she running? any power figures yet?

titcharoony
10-04-2008, 20:05
what u can buy a low temp thermostat and themostatic swtich for £4???

number1
10-04-2008, 23:12
Personally i wouldnt bother with a low temp thermostat, i used to have one and the oil would hardly go over 60 degrees until it was thrashed, ive just got a standard Stat now and a low temp fan switch, which i believe are the same as a standard 5gtt one?!?! its much better with just the fan switch, oil sits at 90 degrees and if sat still when warm for more than a minute or two the fan kicks in

Dave

stan
10-04-2008, 23:17

each yes about that

they are just std parts taken from other cars....nowt special about them

Purple
11-04-2008, 01:00
I have a view regarding low temperature switch which runs counter to the popular understanding here (not saying I am right, though).

I tried a low temperature switch once for a few days and did not like it . It ran the fan 100% of the time for the heat that I drive in, as it never cool down enough to cut off. I was concerned that the constant drain on the alternator and fan motor might cause more problems than it solves. And since the standard switch activates the fan just before 10 o'clock mark and cuts out when it reaches the lower mark; I went back to the standard fan switch. Like I said earlier, a tip top water cooling system and the clio takes care of itself.

Daz.
11-04-2008, 06:53

each yes about that

they are just std parts taken from other cars....nowt special about them

Aye I got mine cheap when I had them on the valver.

I think they're useless though, if your standard setup can't cope it needs addressing not just sidestepping with parts off other cars.

I'm talking about standard cars mind I wouldn't know if they were required with forced induction or boddies for example...

My temps have always been really good, even with a brand new cooling system they didn't differ much if at all.

stan
11-04-2008, 08:19
I have a view regarding low temperature switch which runs counter to the popular understanding here (not saying I am right, though).

I tried a low temperature switch once for a few days and did not like it . It ran the fan 100% of the time for the heat that I drive in, as it never cool down enough to cut off. I was concerned that the constant drain on the alternator and fan motor might cause more problems than it solves. And since the standard switch activates the fan just before 10 o'clock mark and cuts out when it reaches the lower mark; I went back to the standard fan switch. Like I said earlier, a tip top water cooling system and the clio takes care of itself.

your quite right mate, theres little point in them really, like you say the fan will be on constantly alot of the time. Better is the low temp thermostat as this is offering proper control of the cooling system.

fasterthanjesus
11-04-2008, 09:44
i already have low temp fan switch and low rad thermo.

stan
not been to leeds yet. the power difference without remapping is still worth the money. will propably do it whilst i am watching the cricket there. england v south africa. august.

im propably looking at getting the hoses done. are silicone worth it? copper radiator? diesel fan is bigger???

the car is off the road (again) another wheel bearing and one of the track rod ends sheared when they had it in pieces. ho hum.

simonr85
11-04-2008, 15:08
i already have low temp fan switch and low rad thermo.

stan
not been to leeds yet. the power difference without remapping is still worth the money. will propably do it whilst i am watching the cricket there. england v south africa. august.

im propably looking at getting the hoses done. are silicone worth it? copper radiator? diesel fan is bigger???

the car is off the road (again) another wheel bearing and one of the track rod ends sheared when they had it in pieces. ho hum.

you have less luck than me :(

When you get yours back mate let me know if you fancy goin for a little burn, wouldnt mind seeing how a cammed up willy goes compared to mine :P