PDA

View Full Version : Snapped wheel bolts?

eggsbenedict
08-04-2008, 14:26
Anyone else had this happen? I had one snap when undoing a wheel on Saturday. Also 2 snap on the o/s/f today when doing my brakes at lunch. This isnt really a problem as there is enough stud sticking out to unwind. The bolts are the same as new Micra bolts, so i ordered 12 new ones and a set of Mcgard lock nuts for less than the price of 16 genuine Renault bolts. Just wondered if anyone else has had this?

Purple
08-04-2008, 14:33
Yes, especially with the bolts that used the sleeved collars. Always hand tighten or use torque wrench on them.

white16valver
08-04-2008, 14:40
One of mine went when Fred was fitting my new wheels - had to get a hammer and a pointy thing and tap it round till the thread came out lol

Fortunately they'd been loosened sufficiently to not be a problem!!

eggsbenedict
08-04-2008, 15:51
Yeah, all mine are still the originals with the loose collar. I compared the one i snapped on Saturday to a Micra one, and it looked a bit short. Rang Renault who said they had one. Drove 20 mins only for him to tell me they've modified them, and they are the same as the Micra one i had! Despite the fact i said i had a Micra one to hand. Obviously doesnt realise Nissan are 60% owned by Renault now!

cliopete
09-04-2008, 16:25
One of mine with rotating collar snapped recently and I always use an impact wrench. Renault now only supply solid bolts at about £3 each.

BRUN
09-04-2008, 18:08
they are very old, what do you expect !

out of interest how much have you paid, as McGard locking wheel nuts usually retail for £33, we have full sets of wheel bolts & lockers at work for not much more IIRC