PDA

View Full Version : high engine idle speed-1500 rpm

cliowilly2
06-04-2008, 20:55
hello all!

just wondering if anyone has had this problem before? bought this clio williams 2 about a month or so ago,it had been bumped into on the passenger side and then stood for approx 2yrs. anyways,i got it up and running and whilst saving up to have the bodywork done ive been cleaning/tinkering about with it and noticed its idling approx 1500rpm. this is all the time,from cold up to being warm but without being driven anywhere. ive removed the throttle body and idle speed control valve and cleaned both parts after reading a few posts on here but still no joy! any ideas guys??

any help much appreciated or if you want to know any more info just ask! the car is currently in the bodyshop havin new rear quarter and passenger door so wanted to get some info together to have a play when i get it back because im gona need to get it tested!

cheers anyway. stu

eggsbenedict
07-04-2008, 10:22
Tried adjusting the throttle position sensor? sits on the side of the throttle body, its red iirc. You should hear it 'click' as the throttle moves on and off the stop.

northy
07-04-2008, 10:34
There are loads of posts on this subject - if its not the idle control valve it may be a damaged speedo cable.

eggsbenedict
07-04-2008, 11:50
How does the speedo cable affect it Northy? Dont mean that to sound sarcastic! Just curious, as mine cuts out occasionally.

MAXIBOY
07-04-2008, 20:32
sounds like the idle control valve as the speedo normally only affects it after driving it above 2000rpm.

it affects it because the speedo cable has a road speed sensor attached that read to the ecu.

cliowilly2
07-04-2008, 21:58
i havent tried adjusting the TP sensor (which yes it is red) because i thought if it hadnt moved would it need adjusting?? do they need a tweak from time to time?? click as it moves on and off the stop??? as in the opening and closing of the butterfly??? and i have searched/read a load of posts on this problem and read about the speedo cable but didnt think that was the problem because the car hadnt been driven to cause the problem although the engine was probably revved above 2000rpm if that can still cause the fault???? if thats the case then il look into it. is there any tests i can do to check the idle air control valve?? as mentioned i have cleaned it and it felt like it was moving when i held it whilst having the engine started, obviously could still be fubar!! thanks for the replies

BRUN
08-04-2008, 17:51
my guess is speedo cable, add an extra earth wire to it behind the dash

cliolord
09-04-2008, 17:50
oh man :roll: shouldn't have touched that TPS mate worst thing you could have done imo

cliolord
09-04-2008, 17:53
Grab a can of Brake/Carb cleaner and spray it around the inlet where it meets the head. If the idle speed changes or tries to cut out sounds like the inlet manifold gasket. if it hasnt been driven then it wont be the speedo cable.

IF nothing happens when you spray the brake cleaner, check all the breathers are in place as one of these off and your looking at a 1300/1400rpm idle really. You can normally hear a sucking type noise in this case.

Does it idle higher from cold start? And idle doesnt change when its hot?

cliowilly2
12-04-2008, 11:01
i havent touched the tps sensor! il try the brake cleaner around the inlet when i get it back next week. if i remember right the idle speed stays approx the same from start up right through to normal temp, possibly a bit higher at start up. gave it a couple of revs just to see if it would settle but nothing. should have it back by next weekend so il see what its like. and i have checked all breathers i could see for leaks etc but couldnt find anything and cant realy hear any sucking tbh but i havent realy heard one of these running fine to compare if that makes sense?! cheers cliolord

cliowilly2
27-04-2008, 00:08
got the clio back a couple o days ago and tried the suggested 'diagnostics'! couldnt find a problem so it went for m.o.t this morning,took it to a garage a used to work for so they let me have a play with the diagnostic machine. had a code stored in the ecu as- throttle valve resistor (error intermittent), or something like that. looking at the readings from the TPS it was at a constant 51% unless you 'blip' the throttle. tickle the revs up gently and hold it anywhere and the reading stayed the same. so im going for TPS faulty! seems to make sense to me and so il report back once ive located and replaced with a new 1!! oh and it passed the m.o.t with just an advisory of slight play in the steering rack.