PDA

View Full Version : Difference between valver and williams lump

Matt_williams
28-03-2008, 17:55
hey ive just brought a 1.8RSi with a williams transplant, that needs some work. im plannin to do a hybrid conversion but need to raise some cash first! Anyways the bloke i brought the car off was a bit dippy to say the least lol and i just wanna check it is actually a willy lump, how can i check this for sure? it looks like a willy lump from pics ive looked at but havent seen a valver to compare. (Im new to the clios)

Any help would be great!!!!!!!

cheers
matt

16v_paddy
05-04-2008, 19:24
I'd try finding the engine number then go ask renault

Only other thing I can think of is there's some extra vanes (or something) on the block.

All the other differences are internal with nothing different between the 2 looks wise iirc

Willy lump is F7R and the valver is F7P if this helps

u33db
05-04-2008, 20:25
Aye, take the airbox off and you should see the engine plate below the inlet manifold...if it begins f7r then you've a williams lump.

The colour of the dot on the dipstick can also give it away...what is it?

u33db
05-04-2008, 20:26
and forget about asking renault...may as well ask your sofa for all they theses days!

FATBOY
05-04-2008, 20:30
Aye, take the airbox off and you should see the engine plate below the inlet manifold...if it begins f7r then you've a williams lump.

The colour of the dot on the dipstick can also give it away...what is it?

fingers crossed its white!!!!!! 8)

DaveH
05-04-2008, 23:20
Dipstick could be swapped and engine plate could be swapped. Short of opening it up and measuring valves etc the only way is the extra vanes on the block of the willy lump- im sure there was a pic floating about of these somewhere?

FATBOY
06-04-2008, 00:44
take a pic and post is the best way

u33db
06-04-2008, 11:13
Dipstick could be swapped and engine plate could be swapped. Short of opening it up and measuring valves etc the only way is the extra vanes on the block of the willy lump- im sure there was a pic floating about of these somewhere?

If you've done an engine conversion you're not going to swap plates as a 1.8 is cheaper. Yes if the car was being sold an f7r plate would fetch more but i can't seeing anyone swapping the plate in situ for the sake of a couple hundred notes extra.

MatBrown
06-04-2008, 13:38

If you've done an engine conversion you're not going to swap plates as a 1.8 is cheaper. Yes if the car was being sold an f7r plate would fetch more but i can't seeing anyone swapping the plate in situ for the sake of a couple hundred notes extra.

I think he's more referring to the fact that a 1.8 could be plated to look like a 2.0?

Mat.

titcharoony
06-04-2008, 13:40
take pics dude of all the tuff people have said on here n post - the guys know what theyre talking about!

Andy P
06-04-2008, 14:32
If its driveable you should be able to tell just by driving it. If it pulls from around 2.5k its more than likely a willy lump.

But if its flat as piss until 4k then that would point towards a F7P.

But also use the other methods the make sure it is a F7R too

number1
06-04-2008, 22:30
Dipstick idea is useless tbh, the dot on the dipstick indicates a recall they had on them, i have a 1.8 16v sump (baffled) and dipstick, not sure what colour is the one to have, its hard to tell, have a look to see if the plate looks like its been replaced and if it has a skinny starter motor over the back as the block at the back sticks out more,

Like andy said it should pull hard from 2.5k but if your not used to a valver it can be hard to tell, jumping from a 1.8 to a 2.0 you will notice it, and 2.0 to 1.8 is just plain Gay!!

donsrno1
06-04-2008, 22:46
I would say the best bet is to post some pics up of the engine if you can as it may show the exhaust manifold which is different (but interchangeable between the two, 1.8 is cast 2.0 is tubular) and also let us know the colour of the dipstick. As said though the main problem with these things is that they can all be changed easily so won't tell you 100%. If you don't have a starter motor heatshield then try and take some pics of the back of the block through the gaps in the manifold as from pictures of the block someone on here will be able to tell you what it is as the willy has different strengthening veins on the block.

Dipstick idea is useless tbh, the dot on the dipstick indicates a recall they had on them, i have a 1.8 16v sump (baffled) and dipstick, not sure what colour is the one to have, its hard to tell, have a look to see if the plate looks like its been replaced and if it has a skinny starter motor over the back as the block at the back sticks out more,

Like andy said it should pull hard from 2.5k but if your not used to a valver it can be hard to tell, jumping from a 1.8 to a 2.0 you will notice it, and 2.0 to 1.8 is just plain Gay!!

The difference in colour with regards a recall only applies to the 1.8. With teh 1.8 engines there are two colours that the dipstick can be (can't remember what they are at the moment) and that tells you if it had a recall done for something iirc. The williams however has a dot that is a totally different colour to either of the colours the valver has.

Matt_williams
12-04-2008, 13:33
Hey guys cheers for all the posts

the dipstick is yellow with a black dot.

i cant see the engine number, its about an inch thick in grime down there so gonna get it all cleaned up and see if i can find it, im thinkin he hasn't dont a conversion just fobbed me off. the exhaust manifold is cast i think. i will get some pics of it!!!

cheers lads

Daz.
12-04-2008, 13:43
Take it back!