PDA

View Full Version : What can be done to an 1800???

dannyt
15-06-2005, 13:00
Im just weighing up some options really and wanted to know what has been done and what can be done to the 1800, everything except throttle bodies or a turbo, so basically restricting it to cams, or re-grinding my cams, bigger valves, headwork, a full rebuild and maybe some bottom end work?

What will it cost?

Also what sort of power would I be looking to get?

Or would it be best to do some work to the valver head and use the megane bottom end?

Or a full williams engine?

Cheers

Danny

2 live
15-06-2005, 13:09
its as cheap to go 2.0 power than it is to tune the 1800 tbh mate.

get a 1/2 decent 2.0 block, use ur head n get it tweeked, stick with std 2.0 cams for now if u cant afford to get them as well as 2.0.....and a trip to strombas fave mapping guru to sort the ecu out.....thatl be chip wizards then :wink:

u33db
15-06-2005, 13:48
Im just weighing up some options really and wanted to know what has been done and what can be done to the 1800, everything except throttle bodies or a turbo, so basically restricting it to cams, or re-grinding my cams, bigger valves, headwork, a full rebuild and maybe some bottom end work?

What will it cost?

Also what sort of power would I be looking to get?

Or would it be best to do some work to the valver head and use the megane bottom end?

Or a full williams engine?

Cheers

Danny

I looked at this before i sold my 1.8 (and when i still had money!)...realistically i think the most you could hope for would be 165/175bhp'ish on the 1.8. That still be retaining some low-end drivability. I remember hearing of a 1.8 kicking out over 200 but that was with TB's/steel BE which you said you don't want to do. Price wise, i'd reckon the first option could be done for 1/1.5k all in...that wouldn't include a rebuild but from what i've heard your 1.8 is pretty rapid anyway so must be in good condition.

Full williams engine, or better still, a megane BE and 1.8 head with bigger valves is the best IMO...no question...

Martin
15-06-2005, 15:39
DO IT, DO IT, DO IT...(Meg btm end that is)

GazTwo
15-06-2005, 18:31
Williams engine mate.....no matter how much u spend if u'd spent it on a Williams lump u'd always be at least 13 horses in front and a whole load of torque.

KingStromba
15-06-2005, 18:56
If its a choice between a 2litre engine and tuning the 1.8 id deffo say go 2 litre.

But TBH if my car was as mint as yours i would consider keeping it as it is and maybe just spending the money on something else. Perhaps on the suspension and brakes.

Crowds
15-06-2005, 22:52
Wayne at chip wizards did my old 106 gti. superb job 132bhp at the wheels froma 1.6 single tb :D

BenR
15-06-2005, 23:30
Without totally altering the internal geometry of the bottom end (cause of the poor output IMO), altering inlet port voluve and valve sizes then i would just go for the 2ltr. Its cheaper and easier to get power out of, and more than sufficient for the level that most people stick to.

Unless you really want to run the 1.8, then 2ltr is the best option.