PDA

View Full Version : High comp rebuild, advice needed

16v_paddy
27-03-2008, 22:18
I'm getting a willy lump and gearbox next week, and I want to copy some people off here and do a high compression rebuild over the summer.
What I want to know is a comprehensive list of parts that I'm going to need to do this. Also some advice as to what pistons and rods would be best, I was thinking about getting the 2.1 pistons from prima racing, are these any good???

The way I want to do this is to start buying the parts until I've got everything, month by month before I strip it and get it sent off to have all the necessary machining/engineering work done then putting it back together.

I've budgeted £300-400 a month to throw at this project, any help and advice will be greatly appreciated :)

MAXIBOY
27-03-2008, 22:39
start by ignoring prima there over priced and the 2.1 is a joke.

the list depends on whats wrong. pistons can be got from stan at apd for a reasonable amount. rods depend on your rev limit and ultimately what cams you might be using.

no point buying rods and reving to 8000/9000 rpm if your cams arn't making power there.
speak to stan at apd for advice. and parts

http://www.ap-developments.com/

number1
27-03-2008, 23:03
Im going to be doing this in the not so close future, going to source a complete engine and start from scratch, 172 pistons are an available option to increase compression straight away, these are probably the pistons ill use, as renault design them to do thousands of miles without trouble, race pistons etc can be a ballache on the road if you fit Certain ones and can cause piston slap etc, i hear the rods aint bad although uprated ones are easy to find and the newer version of kangoo crank is lighter and the k4m's Crank is supposed to be better again ;)

Stan will Clear it all up tho ;)

AndyFielder
27-03-2008, 23:43
£500/month is how i funded my build.. will take you about 4-5months to save for the parts i have, check my garage and project logs.

If you need bolts or oil coolers for the project im ya man ;)