PDA

View Full Version : Best gold to use for wheel re-furb

eggsbenedict
26-03-2008, 00:24
I'm going to re-furb my wheels soon with rattle cans, ive done a few wheels this way before, and with taking time have achieved really good results. Does anyone know the code/name of the Williams gold? id like as good a match as i can get.

And did the wheels have a polished lip as standard? Mine are all gold, but some ive seen have had polished rims.

cheers, Chris.

Anders
26-03-2008, 07:54
there must be so many topics on this already...as I can remember one that gave the exact paint code...try a search and see what happens

from memory it is the same as the gold used on the scoobies..or at least that is what the post said.

also, the standard wheels did come with the polished lip....a definate must have!

smokey
28-03-2008, 11:48
I'm also after this paint code if you come across it Eggs as my centre caps need doing :D

eggsbenedict
28-03-2008, 14:40
From what ive found its Akzo Nobel R9312 or 7E81208. Im going o do mine with rattle cans, takes a bit of time but with paitience i got a spot on finish. Would any paint supplier recognise this code?

Yanoo_
28-03-2008, 16:13
I've found these codes:
Akzo Nobel R9312
Akzo Nobel 7E81208
The DuPont Stock reference is definately J5505.
Speedline genuine code: SP 3419gd

But... I asked these codes in 4 four paintshops but everywhere was said: these codes are factory codes so they can't mix them. :(
Any advice?

Anders
28-03-2008, 16:24
have you got any decent original paint samples?

could you not take it to a sniffer machine that will be able to mix up an exact match.

Granted this may mean taking a scraping, or at worst taking a wheel off, but may just do it?

on the otherhand...and don't kill me for saying this....is anybody really going to notice even if it is slightly off? and if they do, then they should be on the train platform instead!

Yanoo_
28-03-2008, 16:58
I've got decent original paint samples: 8 wheel centercups + 4 wheels on the car + 4 wheel before sand with the original paint :). So, the man who mixed the paint said: "it'll perfectly match with the genuine colour"... the result: the colour is so far from the genuine as... :(
I preferred to leave the scrapy wheels on the car and the refurbed wheels became as a state on my cupboard:
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/files/speedline_970.jpg

This spring I'd like to repaint them with the proper paint code. The colour match must be perfect!

katbloke
05-04-2008, 09:15
youll be surprised how close ford solar gold is too, but the r9312 ro whatever is available is you can find anyone who has the lesonal paint mixing gear, i got mine from ebay

Adi82
07-04-2008, 21:39
I used to work at halfords and i manged to find renault paint codes for wheels. Took a change and mixed up the gold was pretty much exactly the same as my wheels.

I now have a small bottle touch up kit which i still use today. Might be worth giving them a shot.

eggsbenedict
07-04-2008, 22:27
I ended up using Nissan gold, came out well. Maybe a bit too light, but good enough for me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/japexpert/clio%20pics/IMG_2013.jpg

katbloke
08-04-2008, 06:38
id be happy with that, nice finish, lip looks good too