PDA

View Full Version : My new wheels

Swervin_Mervin
25-03-2008, 22:25
I've had the car a week now and somehow managed to cover 200 miles even though I don't appear to have done much.

First impressions were good. Having seen another Ultra Red 197 on the road a few days before, as well as 2 R27s in Albi Blue (which was my other choice of colour) I was really worried s to whether I'd made the right choice. Got round the corner to the dealership though and knew on first sight I'd got it right. For me the key thing with this colour is to have the darker wheels. Just tones it down a little a bit and makes a marked difference to the overall look.

So that aside I spent 10 minutes looking for defects and spotted a small chip in the paint on the rubbing strip. Nothing too bad tbh and they're going to sort it. The rest of the handover went smoothly thankfully and I was soon on my way.

It's taken me a while to get the seating position right and I eventually twigged that the Recaros needed a much more upright back position to get the best out of them. They don't quite go low enough for my liking but that'll have to do. Might have to investigate whether they've got spacers underneath like Ben found on the 172 Cup.

Ride is firm. However, unlike the majority of people I don't find it that bad at all. Maybe it's having moved from an older car with shocks that are perhaps past their best, but to me it still soaks up the bumps without jarring through the cabin, even accounting for the fact that the Recaros really are also quite firm. I haven't really given it much stick through the corners so far as I'm keen to let things just settle in a bit, including me, before I push it. I reckon I'm going to have to significantly re-adjust though as even at a moderately brisk pace it just corners flat and completely undramatically.

With regard to the much maligned engine, again I can;t see the issue. Coming from a car that bogs down at anything less than 3500rpm, I've found that even with just 200 miles on the clock the 197 will pull keenly in 5th at 30mph where revs are about 2k. Sure it steps up noticably from about 2500-3000rpm but IMO it's a long way from being the complete pain in the arse that evo seem to think it is. I can't wait 'til it's loosened up as overall pace even at the mo is definitely a full step up from the valver. I was a little worried that a car with just 6.9s to 60 might not seem that much quicker than one that will do it only half a second slower.

So, all that remains is some piccies, opportunities for which have been somewhat limited. These were grabbed whilst out on a site visit this arvo, but I'm keen to get some good ones in the not too distant future, hopefully with a 400D. 8)

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i5/Swervin_Mervin/Bits/1010236_1.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i5/Swervin_Mervin/Bits/P1010204_1.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i5/Swervin_Mervin/Bits/P1010188_1.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i5/Swervin_Mervin/Bits/P1010227_1.jpg

jay s
25-03-2008, 23:21
very nice mate, they have grown on me loads. not fancy a cup ??

richy
25-03-2008, 23:41
ive driven loads at work, non seem to have the same fizz as my 182 does engine wise but the highest milage one ive driven is 10k ish(std 197 not r27)

love the brakes and they handle well imo, def worth having recaros over std seats and i like the colour, same as what my mate resprayed his meggy coupe

btw they do quite a nice spoiler for them, not the r3 thing, just a smalish one which was on a red one like urs too

Coops
26-03-2008, 00:35
bit new aint it :wink:

nah looks nice mate, enjoy 8)

Zollo
26-03-2008, 00:40
Nice one mate. I really love the look of them, and I enjoyed the drive I had in one at Brands. It gets slated for motorway refinement because of it, but one of my favourite parts about it is the short gearing - perfect for the track and I loved the fact that the revs barely dropped between changes. :D

And they may be a bit heavier, but new cars are totally the way forward! :wink:

Daz.
26-03-2008, 08:07
Is that rust coming through on the passenger rear? :D

I'm still not in love with them but they have grown on me a lot since I first saw them. Have to be white for me though :twisted:

Thank god you didn't get they great big ghey spoiler - saw a blue one the other day with it on and it looks tres airfix! :lol:

seanofnp
26-03-2008, 11:28
Grown on me also. Nice colour

as said, didnt fancy a cup?

northy
26-03-2008, 11:49
look after it mate - i dont want to see u posting that its been bumped

Swervin_Mervin
26-03-2008, 20:28
Northy - bastard. :lol:

I was looking at a Cup but tbh the white paint is pretty poor quality up close imo. Plastics looked magnolia rather than white.

Not only that but the interior trim isn't as nice. That wasn't the clincher, but the nasty cheap wheel, poor colour choices and the fact this was only £1k more including cornering lights (with black surrounds - essential for the right look imo) just made it make sense. I'm not one for toys but common sense just dictated it was the best approach.

Zollo - I'm loving the short stacked 'box at the mo. It's incredible how little the revs drop between changes and it's such a short throw as well. Ride really doesn't bother me, and even cruising at 3750rpm at 80 doesn't seem harsh for me. Probably 'cos both the Xsara and valvers sit at 4k at 80.

Once it's run in I imagine me and the Kirmanator will be getting some propoer tuition from the HPC guys and I'm hoping that I can get it on track once the tyres start to wear a touch. I want to replicate mr Plato's antics at Cadwell. :twisted:

Zollo
27-03-2008, 11:15
Zollo - I'm loving the short stacked 'box at the mo. It's incredible how little the revs drop between changes and it's such a short throw as well. Ride really doesn't bother me, and even cruising at 3750rpm at 80 doesn't seem harsh for me. Probably 'cos both the Xsara and valvers sit at 4k at 80.

3750 at 80? That's lower than any hot hatch I've driven, including others with six gears! Journos always have to find something to moan about I guess...

white16valver
27-03-2008, 14:26
Once it's run in I imagine me and the Kirmanator will be getting some propoer tuition from the HPC guys and I'm hoping that I can get it on track once the tyres start to wear a touch. I want to replicate mr Plato's antics at Cadwell. :twisted:
Ooh ooh :o

Howwww?

I did a day's on-road and classroom thing last year and it was excellent :D

Swervin_Mervin
27-03-2008, 15:01
They advertise in the back of evo matey. There's a few they run. Not the HPC themselves but the guys' own things.

Andy P
27-03-2008, 22:15
Nice one mate, been thinking about one of these for a while now too.

But spending 16k on a car to do 20miles a week is a bit mad :lol:

Swervin_Mervin
27-03-2008, 22:36
Cost me £14.6k. :wink:

Danno
12-04-2008, 19:47
its real nice that, havnt seen many that colour either. . . . . .i keep asking myself tho - "is it the new williams". . . .imo it isnt. . . . . . . .

Swervin_Mervin
15-04-2008, 13:39
its real nice that, havnt seen many that colour either. . . . . .i keep asking myself tho - "is it the new williams". . . .imo it isnt. . . . . . . .

That's good, because I always preferred the valver myself. And this is more akin to a new world valver. :wink:

Joel
15-04-2008, 20:08
Lovely, i dont like the rear diffuser. But never the less great Motor!