PDA

View Full Version : Probably quitting

Wobba
24-03-2008, 19:48
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29241

The problem above has foiled me to the point I cant be arsed anymore with the car. Car idles at just over 2k revs and yes I have tried all the other possible problems.

For me, I dont have the luxury of any more time or money to spend, and the car has been sat there for almost 3 months now apart from recently driving it up and down the road to test the air leak I cant fix...

This week will be the decider of whether I scrap it and concentrate on other things or have it repaired. I am tired of having a runny nose and a sore back and being covered in oil and yet having nothing to show for it except evil glares from the anti car lobby that live down the road.

It's a shame a single nut has made a mockery of all the work I put in, but that's life.

Foley
24-03-2008, 20:10
I know this is cheeky but if you decided to scrap/sell the car i would be interested as i need a shell for another project ! I hope you can sort it tho !

Lunner
24-03-2008, 20:15
Get a shitter for a month or so, ignore the clio for that time, enjoy having a working car, as shit as it is, and then when you have more interest have another crack at the clio

BRUN
24-03-2008, 23:03
if you live in Southampton, take it to Rentech mate and get them to sort it for you

donsrno1
24-03-2008, 23:11
if you live in Southampton, take it to Rentech mate and get them to sort it for you

If you are clost to rentech that would definately be a good shout as I've only ever heard good things about them!

MicKPM
25-03-2008, 09:45
FFS pay me my fuel bill from Nottingham and i'll come sort the damn thing for you.

Scougar
25-03-2008, 15:31
Have you tried to see if it is a dodgy temp sensor causing the idle issues?

It is prob something really simple.. and as frustrating as it is.. persevere. Get help from the member that offered to come and look at it!

Matthew

eternalife
25-03-2008, 15:36
FFS pay me my fuel bill from Nottingham and i'll come sort the damn thing for you.

^^^^ Cannot get fairer than that! 8)

Daz.
25-03-2008, 16:46
Hard works been done fella!

Garages love gremlins, they can pull your pants down over them due to 'not knowing whats wrong yet'

Take MicKPM up on his offer but make him use the train for cheapskateness :wink:

MicKPM
25-03-2008, 17:49
LoL - have you seen what Virgin are charging for fares these days? It'll be cheaper in the 2.2 Veccy with tools in the back :wink:

Daz.
25-03-2008, 18:05
Depends when you book - if you book now for 2010 your laughing :wink:

MicKPM
25-03-2008, 20:01
hehehe - But he's got a Renault so in 2010 it will most likly have rusted away :D

Joke Wobba)

The offer's seriously there for him anyway so the ball's in his court. It's 170 miles each way so the Clio (It's only a 1.2 DIET) will do it on 2 tanks which is about £55 or the Vectra will do it on one which is about £65ish.

Mink

white16valver
25-03-2008, 20:06
wtf You must have a lead right foot LOL :lol:

That's only marginally better than mine! :shock:

So much for smaller engine cars being more economical lol :lol:

Don't give up though wobba - the end is in sight! :)

Daz.
25-03-2008, 20:49
I've done a personal best of 328 miles so far in the willy on a full £46 fill up so that 1.2 needs to go on another diet! :wink:

bass_direct
25-03-2008, 20:54

Best option ^^

Mick is an absolute legend!

He's helped me sooooooooooooooooo many times!

PM him! he's Reno man :D

MicKPM
25-03-2008, 21:11
I've done a personal best of 328 miles so far in the willy on a full £46 fill up so that 1.2 needs to go on another diet! :wink:

1.2 8v's don't sit at 80mph too well though ;)

number1
25-03-2008, 23:31
id offer my services too, but im equally miles away! i hate living in cornwall!!

Check the Throttle Cable is allowing enough return for the butterflys to close, IACV pipes can cause a high revving if they have a tiny split in it, Inlet manifold tight? all the pipes back on? map sensor, charcoal canister, brake servo pipe? breather pipes? Fuel pressure regulator? 5th injector nice and tight?
its something simple mate, Dont give up now youve come this far and you'll be so happy with yourself once you sort it

Wobba
26-03-2008, 02:39
Wow, thanks guys. Been pretty ill lately and this sort of stuff makes me tired/mad easily.

I am going to try one more thing. I am fairly sure it's the inlet manifold. I've tightened the other nuts on it and the revs are not as high anymore, but as mentioned one I just cant get too...I am going to jack it up under the sump and take the main mount off (I need to loosen the cambelt anyway as it's too tight) and try getting to it that way.

Unfortunately, one other thing I noticed when doing up a nut was that the stud in the cylinder block is spinning freely. Not sure if it/s threaded the alloy or what....

Mick, cheers mate, I will let you know, and same for you Adam! It's payday soon so options open up to me :)

drsmith1979
26-03-2008, 04:15
ahh Wobba, dont give up at the final hurdle you have been doing so well!

as suggested, get a fresh look on things by having someone come down and give you a hand, things are so much better when you have ideas and things to bounce off someone... so dont give up... you are a shining example to us all and i know you have given some 'lesser' mechanically minded people the belief that anyone can do it, so dont let them down by quitting now!?!

live the dream

Wobba
26-03-2008, 16:02
Well, been quite ill recently due to medical issue, but feeling shitloads better today.

Popped out and removed the cambelt cover, engine mount: Slackened the too tight cambelt. It was (I think) too tight. Hopefully that will sort the whirring noise!

Jacked the engine up ofc to do the above, but the heavens have opened as usual and to stop myself getting miserable, have come indoors.

Still not been able to refit the missing bolt to inlet manifold or even have a go as it's raining, but I reckon I will struggle to do it. Will update later...

Thanks for the kind words and offers, will let you know asap!

Wobba
26-03-2008, 17:29
Ok, game over. The nut fell off for the billionth time and its started raining for the third time. Spent an hour looking for the nut in the stupidly cramped shit design engine bay and cant find it. Cant get it on anyway. Putting it back together and its gonna rust outside my door till I cant be bothered to move it one day.

Justin..
26-03-2008, 17:58
:( gutted to hear it mate!

seanofnp
26-03-2008, 18:15
Don't let it beat you Dan, let Mick come down and help you!

Wobba
26-03-2008, 18:24
Thanks guys but right now I'm thinking of scraping the whole thing. I can guarantee it's just gonna rain rain rain rain rain rain all the time and I'll never get it done. I dont have enough time money or energy to do it anymore.

Knowing my luck even if I got the inlet tightened up I'd find it was something else wsa causing it and spend anotehr few weeks tracing the problem...

Justin..
26-03-2008, 18:51
dont scrap it mate sell it. you'll get more money for it if you definatly decide to rid of it. someone will buy it

pm me if you do

drsmith1979
26-03-2008, 19:22
just remember, if things like this were easy, then everyone would do it and the rewards would be minimal......

A true test of character is not when things are going well, its when the shit hits the fan and all around you is crumbling.... step up to the plate, we believe in you my son!

eternalife
26-03-2008, 22:55
Someone needs to organise a 'Meet' at Wobba's place - overalls essential :wink:

seanofnp
26-03-2008, 23:30
**** it, lets all go round this weekend, get the kettle on wobba lol!

MicKPM
27-03-2008, 09:11
Not a chance of this weekend - have you seen what the weather's supposed to be doing? I know, I should cowboy the fook up and get wet :lol:

Wobba
27-03-2008, 20:21
lol guys. I would love to entertain you here with my whining about goddam nuts to the early hours, but the Polish have landed in numbers at my house and theres barely any room to breathe!

Had another go at the nut today, but the new rotating knuckle thing i got to get in there, along with the nut I took off another part of the manifold, fell down the same place a the previous nut. Couldnt retrieve them with the magnetic flexible thing I have, so again I am ****ed!

At this rate I'll have to dismantle the engine to get all the lost tools out.

white16valver
27-03-2008, 22:11
lol

Can't you train your missus to get in there with her smaller hands? ;)

I know how annoying it is though - I never did find the bit I dropped from the inlet manifold triangular bracket thing! :?

BRUN
27-03-2008, 23:42
can you not get to it with the bonnet/bumper off ?

Wobba
28-03-2008, 11:17
can you not get to it with the bonnet/bumper off ?

Bonnet is already off, I have searched all over for hours (I am not joking) and still cant see the nuts I've dropped.

I can 'feel' the knuckle joint, and I reckon it still has the 10mm socket with the nut attached to it with blue-tak (its the only way I could get it near the bolt without falling off). the knuckle joint is down between the bracket/mount things and the front of the block, but you cant see it. Tried to get it with my magnetic tool but it gets knocked off as I try and bring it up.

I was SOOOOO close yesterday, but it just would not go on.

I think I will have to dismantle it all and take the inlet off again to get to them...that means draining the new coolant again, removing radiator and fan etc etc etc...grrreeeeeat. Lovely weather for it.

kj16v
28-03-2008, 11:44
Those tools and stuff will be on the subframe. Everything that falls in that goddamn bay lands on the Bermuda Subframe; tools, fastenings, ships, animals...

Wobba
28-03-2008, 11:59
Those tools and stuff will be on the subframe. Everything that falls in that goddamn bay lands on the Bermuda Subframe; tools, fastenings, ships, animals...

Lol!

I have looked and looked but nothing yet and the weather is incredibly bad so I decided to go to work instead today :D

Wobba
18-04-2008, 20:06
*UPDATE*

I decided to leave the car a little, but did fix my tight cambelt, it now sounds fine except for idling at 2.4k revs.

While doing that I did my back in reaaaallly bad, and had another illness and had to go to hospital.

Feeling a lot better now, been doing lots of special exercises, so had a pop before the usual rain rain rain rain etc forecast for the weekend.

I had a OE renault TB gasket and fitted that, but it's made no difference. The old one was fubared anyway so it's a good job anyway. I blocked the ISCV pipe completely and it instantly stalled. I tried taking the power cable off the ISCV, it runs at the same revs, 2.4k (a tiny bit lower). Took ISCV off and seriously cleaned it out for the third time and refitted it, ran car: 2.4k revs, stalling if you block the pipe.

Throttle body butterflies are not stuck open, throttle cable correct.
Refitted a nut I had taken off the inlet manifold (which Mat Brown sent me two of for nothing to help me out, thanks a lot Mat), but it was same result. Still one nut missing off the inlet which I cant get too though.

I really need the car sorted out now, and Summeh has offered to pop over and even take my car to his a few miles away to work on, out of the usual weekend 'lets stop Wobba fixing his car' shitty weather. Thanks Matt.

I've checked all the pipes, car running and turned off, no difference. Thinking it must be a sensor now...

eternalife
18-04-2008, 20:55
I did wonder where you got to mate!
Need to look after yourself mate - No car is worth that much (bruised and cut knuckles are ok though :lol: )

Summeh's cars are quick if he touches yours it will instantly gain power :D :wink:
I think people should start putting on bets as to what the problem is :twisted:

Be well mate.

Wobba
18-04-2008, 22:00
I did wonder where you got to mate!
Need to look after yourself mate - No car is worth that much (bruised and cut knuckles are ok though :lol: )

Summeh's cars are quick if he touches yours it will instantly gain power :D :wink:
I think people should start putting on bets as to what the problem is :twisted:

Be well mate.
:D

Thanks, I do feel a lot better now but cant go mental like I did changing the headgasket and cambelt etc. I need my car sorted to help my granny out now and also for FCS which isnt far away!

donsrno1
18-04-2008, 22:33
Good to see your feeling a bit better about the whole thing now. You know its just going to turn out to be something really annoying and nothing to do with that inlet manifold though just to piss you off even more :lol: .

Good luck in getting it sorted though.

dimma16v
19-04-2008, 01:51
you can try and get hold of another ECU or borrow someones ECU to see if that solves you problem as the what i did when it happened to me i changed every sensor on the car and it never worked and the only thing left the i new that controls the idle thats not been changed was the ECU so i got hold of another ECU fitted it and the car now idles perfectly.

summeh
19-04-2008, 02:15
aye i cant see how it can be the missing manifold nuts tbh, its not like the inlet manifold is bendy... it'd probably be ok with 4 nuts.

My money is on the ISCV, sounds duff to me. Will pop over with my multimeter and we can pillage bits off my car to see whats what.

You got all the tools you need havn't you?

Wobba
19-04-2008, 10:00
aye i cant see how it can be the missing manifold nuts tbh, its not like the inlet manifold is bendy... it'd probably be ok with 4 nuts.

My money is on the ISCV, sounds duff to me. Will pop over with my multimeter and we can pillage bits off my car to see whats what.

You got all the tools you need havn't you?

I think so! I dont have a way of testing the ISCV, it could be duff aye. I cant hear any whistling noises, thr car sounds fine cept for idle...

Wobba
19-04-2008, 15:29
Ok, back in from the rain. Tested the sensors:

CTS off, no change.

Inlet manifold sensor (driver side thing) off: no change, cept lumpy and lot of smoke.

Two other Theromostat housing sensors off: no change.

MAP sensor unplugged from ECU: wont start.

MAP sensor mainfold pipe unplugged to atmosphere: 1600/1900 revs, lumpy idle, lots of smoke from exhaust (overfuelling?)

Only way it idles correctly, without vast amounts of smoke or lumpy idle is if ISCV pipe is partially blocked. Otherwise it still revs at exactly 2.4k revs.

No sound of any other air leak. Blocking ISCV pipe stalls the car dead straight away.

Cleaned ISCV three times: no change.

Diagnosis thus far: Could be duff ISCV, bad earths, ECU, some other sensor as yet unchecked.

C5 SWH
19-04-2008, 15:35
Have you tried earthing the speedo cable?

Also give the earths a clean, Maybe unplug lamda sensor see if that makes any difference :?:

Wobba
20-04-2008, 00:07
Have you tried earthing the speedo cable?

Also give the earths a clean, Maybe unplug lamda sensor see if that makes any difference :?:

How would I earth the speedo cable? If it requires taking the dash out, only to find its not that I dont know if I can sustain the will to live much longer.

dimma16v
20-04-2008, 01:30
Ok, back in from the rain. Tested the sensors:

CTS off, no change.

Inlet manifold sensor (driver side thing) off: no change, cept lumpy and lot of smoke.

Two other Theromostat housing sensors off: no change.

MAP sensor unplugged from ECU: wont start.

MAP sensor mainfold pipe unplugged to atmosphere: 1600/1900 revs, lumpy idle, lots of smoke from exhaust (overfuelling?)

Only way it idles correctly, without vast amounts of smoke or lumpy idle is if ISCV pipe is partially blocked. Otherwise it still revs at exactly 2.4k revs.

No sound of any other air leak. Blocking ISCV pipe stalls the car dead straight away.

Cleaned ISCV three times: no change.

Diagnosis thus far: Could be duff ISCV, bad earths, ECU, some other sensor as yet unchecked.

my guess is the ECU as i did all that a while ago and never worked changed ECU and works now if you no someone with a 16V near by get them to come round so your can try there ECU in the car to see if it solves it.

BRUN
20-04-2008, 01:46
can get the dash off really easy Wobba

16v_paddy
20-04-2008, 02:47
Its only 5 x T25 torx screws, piece of p1ss

C5 SWH
20-04-2008, 08:36
How would I earth the speedo cable? If it requires taking the dash out, only to find its not that I dont know if I can sustain the will to live much longer.

only the top half as to come off which is five torx srews, then undo the dials and tilt forward,

Im sure there is some pictures on here some where have a search

hope you solve the problem 8)

Wobba
20-04-2008, 11:06
Ahh, yea I know the ones, shouldnt be too tricky, and I can do it out of the rain!

I think because the bonnet was off for sometime with bad weather the ECU could have gotten damp and caused a malfunction, so yea it may be that.

BRUN
20-04-2008, 12:24
yup could be, take it out, open it up, and dry it out

Matty86
20-04-2008, 13:25
I've got a ph1 ecu sitting here that you could try if you want?

can't have you giving up :D

Wobba
20-04-2008, 17:19
Right I've had the ECU out and opened the casing.

There is a big black scorch mark on the metal cover over the motherboard, and part of the curcuit board has scorch marks across, from the smell (being an experienced ex-hardware technician!) it's a fairly recent event.

So, I reckon this could be the source of the troubles. Perhaps damp conditions caused it, who knows.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/My%2016V/DSC00400.jpg

Wobba
20-04-2008, 17:32
To cheer myself up a bit, I got round to sticking on my new white F16 sticker, and refitting my refurbished engine cover/mount cover and inlet cover as well. In a few weeks I should have a new heatshield too:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/My%2016V/DSC00402.jpg

BristolSam16v
20-04-2008, 18:23
lol that heatshield has taken some abuse!

Wobba
20-04-2008, 19:01
lol that heatshield has taken some abuse!

At least I have one lol!!!

Wobba
20-04-2008, 19:03
I've got a ph1 ecu sitting here that you could try if you want?

can't have you giving up :D

Thanks for the support mate, I think I will have to buy an ECU box anyway by the looks of it! Stan has two he said, and I mailed Mat Brown earlier for one too.

BRUN
21-04-2008, 13:58
think ive got some spare ECU's in my loft, might be one under my bed aswell lol

Wobba
21-04-2008, 14:37
think ive got some spare ECU's in my loft, might be one under my bed aswell lol

Thank you Brun, I have actually ordered one pretty much straight after I saw the damage on mine from Craig/Stan. he sent it in the post today!

I am praying this is the reason for my woes and there are no other major issues...

If I blow this one up I'll be asking for anotehr from you and matteh though :D

Justin..
21-04-2008, 22:54
have you ordered/paid for a heatsheild? i have one on the naples im selling which is less than a year old.