PDA

View Full Version : oil leak...help?

kundi13
23-03-2008, 22:16
right got an mk1 n reg 1996 clio phase 1. done about 81k miles. its had water pump changed. spark plugs changed, new alternator belt changed, everythings working fine apart from an oil leak.

ive been to 3 garages so far and they all are saying the head gasket is gone but if the head gasket has gone i cant see any creamy white stuff anywhere in the engine cap or in the water coolant and also if it was the head gasket the water wouldve also mixed in the engine oil but the water level has been at its consistance level for months now. ive been driving the clio for almost 5 months now just been topping up the engine with oil every 2weeks it is a very slow leak.

the oil seems to be leaking on the the driver side of the engines front and dripping down to the oil sump and to the floor. But im also seeing a puddle of oil on the intake manifold which is under the carburator.

do you guys think it could be the rocker cover gasket cos im seeing a line of orange mastic peeling off from the rocker cover joint and its facing the intake manifold.

Coops
24-03-2008, 01:22
erm, there is no carburetor on a clio :lol: :?

have you checked the oil filter is tight? mine was loose and leaked down that kind of area for a bit after service a while back, nipped it up, job done.

also just replace the rocker gasket as a matter of cause, easy cheap job and nine times out of ten its the issue

kundi13
24-03-2008, 01:53
the oil filters been changed no leak there aswell. how hard is it to fit the gasket for the rocker cover and do halfords sell them?

kundi13
24-03-2008, 02:02
is it easy to change the rocker cover gasket? do i just undo the bolts or do i have to count the number of turns i do for the right amount of pressure? what kind of sand paper do i need to remove any warts and dust that i might encounter on the block and the rocker cover ? any sealant glue i should also use?

thanks.

Coops
24-03-2008, 02:18
undo the bolts, no order officially, but i do it on rotational pattern from centre out like headbolts, 6nm is official torque, but again, just do them up then nip them a bit with a spanner, not too tight.probs get it from halfrauds but dont know, motorfactors or gsf for the win 8)

use a stanley blade out of the knife to remove any leftover gasket, polish up with 400 odd grit wet n dry but dont get too much shite into the head doing it

so long as the faces are clean n flat no extra sealant is needed, just gasket

whole job shudnt be more than an hour and thats taking your time :P

kundi13
24-03-2008, 02:35
so i should start undoing the bolts from the center going anti clockwise around the engine ?

Coops
24-03-2008, 02:55
can do ai, be reet tho am sure either way 8)

kundi13
24-03-2008, 13:09
kool i will give it a shot. anyway before i do that i thought id clean out the k&n induction kit air filter, when i took it off i saw yellow creamy stuff little bit inside it the air filter and lots in the pipes that connect to the induction kit. how come that yellow creamy stuff is in there? water and oil mixing how?

Lunner
24-03-2008, 13:33
Its the breather pipes its normal to have a bit in there,m esp if at some point the car was used for just short journeys

kundi13
06-04-2008, 18:10
right....ive changed my rocker cover gasket and yet im still seeing oil leaks. gosh what shall i do ? loolz.

MAXIBOY
07-04-2008, 20:29
take a photo to show where its leaking from...

cooper
13-04-2008, 09:58
wat engine is in it mate??

BRUN
13-04-2008, 11:16
this sounds like a 1.2/1.4 to me, because the throttle body on those does sit on top of the inlet manifold

could try STP Stop Leak ?

kundi13
17-04-2008, 00:58
will take a photo soon. its a 8v 1.2 petrol. ive tried STP yet still no luck.

how easy is it to change a headgasket on these small engines? do i have to mark the timings on them? or is it simple just replacing the old gasket with a new gasket and bolt it the block on using a torque wrench?

thanks.