PDA

View Full Version : Whirring noise & problems

Wobba
19-03-2008, 17:35
Since my HG replacement and cambelt there has been a loud whirring noise when I start the car. It currently has an air leak somewhere, so it idles at about 2k revs, and goes up to about 3k when driving along changing gear.

When I first tried to drive it just now, the car would not go into gear, had to stop car and put it in gear before moving away and it crunched a fair bit then as well.

I put the noise down to very little oil circulating the engine as it had been sat for some time and I had changed the oil, but I think it sounds like a belt. Aux belt is on tight enough, maybe too tight?

Could it be the sound of air being sucked in somewhere? Why would it be so hard to engage gear first of all?

Wobba
19-03-2008, 22:25
Right, well initially I think the flywheel may have stuck itself onto the clutch as I have not used it in so long and its been open to the elements for short periods with the bonnet off...may explain the gear selection problem.

The noise is either:

Alternator
Cambelt touching something
Air being sucked in via inlet
Lack of oil circulated through head/pistons

cliolord
19-03-2008, 22:30
alrite wobba, my guess would be that the timing belt is too tight. It's a guess but this is the case normally. It will give that whiring type of sound, the higher you rev the car the higher pitch the sound will become. As for the idling issue, spray some Brake Cleaner/Carb cleaner where the inlet manifold meets the head as some of the OE head sets use the megane F7R inlet gaskets so it maybe leaking from there

Wobba
20-03-2008, 00:57
alrite wobba, my guess would be that the timing belt is too tight. It's a guess but this is the case normally. It will give that whiring type of sound, the higher you rev the car the higher pitch the sound will become. As for the idling issue, spray some Brake Cleaner/Carb cleaner where the inlet manifold meets the head as some of the OE head sets use the megane F7R inlet gaskets so it maybe leaking from there

I was thinking the cambelt may be a litle too tight as well. Its not too hard to loosen it a bit. I will leave it for a couple of days, as I am tired and getting easily fed up with it!

Thank you.

matty w
21-03-2008, 13:46
the auxilery is probably to tight aswell,and have you set the selector up for the gears?

Wobba
23-03-2008, 12:01
the auxilery is probably to tight aswell,and have you set the selector up for the gears?

Maybe.I didn't touch the gears tbh.

matty w
23-03-2008, 20:41

i was thinking you'd removed the engine

Wobba
24-03-2008, 11:16

i was thinking you'd removed the engine

Nope, not the BE, that stayed put!