PDA

View Full Version : Head off with inlet+exhaust manifolds attached?

BristolSam16v
19-03-2008, 17:22
Going to be doing the headgasket and cambelt on the clio in the next couple weeks, I know some of the exhaust manifold nuts are shafted so can I remove the head with both manifolds still attached? Obv unbolt the downpipe and inlet bits.

Wobba
19-03-2008, 17:23
Yes.

BristolSam16v
19-03-2008, 17:26
Ok gd stuff, next question, the cheap HG+head bolt kits on ebay, are they ok or will they last 5K miles?

Rich
19-03-2008, 18:22
just go GSF mate

BristolSam16v
19-03-2008, 20:08
I'm on a very very tight budget so cheaper the better. Can I get away with using the ebay stuff or is it actually crap?

cliolord
19-03-2008, 22:39
I'm on a very very tight budget so cheaper the better. Can I get away with using the ebay stuff or is it actually crap?

I have no idea about the ebay stuff but try GSF or Euro car parts for prices to compare. Advised you dont skimp on the essentials. Head skim, head bolts, head set. When doing the cambelt do the tensioner too, the guide is a git to do but worth it if you don't get angry easily :lol:

BristolSam16v
19-03-2008, 22:56
Well I've got a vectra Im driving atm so gnna chuck the clio in the garage and work on it over a few weeks, in no rush.

What kinda price am I looking at to the get the head skimmed? Also does that mean I have to strip it down?

Anyone done a HG+cambelt/kit change and give me a total of how much Id be looking at?

Stupid q but obv have to flush the coolant? don't have to change the oil though?

MAXIBOY
19-03-2008, 23:53
i,d change the oil and filter

Wobba
20-03-2008, 01:20
GSF:

R12932 CAM BELT & TENS SET CLIO 1.8 16V £75.00
R11410 CYLINDER HEAD GASKET SET CLIO 16V (INC HEAD GSKT) 49.50
R01162 CYLINDER HEAD BOLT SET CLIO 1.2/1.4 18.90

You will also need to consider the following if you dont have it already:

Coolant - You HAVE to have this when you fit it back together.
Oil - 10-40 Semi Synth (or whatever yer preference)
Oil filter
Water Pump and Sealent
Torque Wrench
Haynes manual :)
T55 Torx bit for head bolts
Trolley Jack
Axle Stands or some other raising system
Peseverence

A skim will likely cost about £35, though dont be surprised if the valves are full of crud. You can lap them yourself with a cheap lapping kit from Halfords or pay for it to be done.

Has the HG blown? If so the oil will be contaminated.

Make sure you put the inlet manifold back on BEFORE you put the cylinder head back on or its a bitch to get to the bolts. Dont be surprised if the stud bolts are seized on, especially on the exhaust manifold.

The GSF gasket kit comes with loads of stuff including valve guides, cam seals, distributor seal, fuel rail washers, inlet and exhaust gaskets. You need a special tool to get the valve guides on as you have to pop them out.

The GSF cam belt is a genuine renault one, with two pulleys in as well.

You dont have to do the water pump but you may as well while the aux belt is off, which you have to remove to do the cambelt.

Other things you may as well do are clean the ISCV, possibly clean the inside of the inlet manifold, clean bores and pistons and a few otehr things if you have the money.

BristolSam16v
20-03-2008, 02:14
Cool cheers matey.

Got all the tools, after owning a clio for a few years I've pretty much got a workshop in the garage lol.

Not sure if I cba to change the oil, the HG has been going for so long I've had to top up the oil every few weeks so its basically got fresh oil in every few months.

Mainly I'm looking to sell the car as soon as the HG is done, so I want to spend as little as possible, considering just buying a belt and a HG set+bolts and thats it, its all starting to sound very expensive :(

Matty86
20-03-2008, 09:56

the apprentice becomes the master! :D

Wobba
20-03-2008, 12:20

the apprentice becomes the master! :D

Not quite. I am being frustrated by a simple nut on my car right now! I'll get the bastard though :D

Yes, the costs can add up but if you have the tools already thats a very big saving already. You can do it with just gasket set, cambelt and head bolts, but you will need to redo the coolant. Oil from GSF and Filter from Renault will be only about £19.