PDA

View Full Version : Mileage

MaRiO
18-03-2008, 22:36
Hey chaps..

What sort of mileage will the William's engines do? Obviously a well looked after one is a must..

I have seen a few PSA group petrol engines with 200k ish on the clock and still working ok, i would imagine that Renault are a pretty capable company tbh..

Just asking as when i go looking at them to buy, i dont wana buy one with 140k or whatever if they dont last that long due to engine design or whatever..

Cheers guys..:)

bill.
18-03-2008, 23:06
mine had done 102k and was running strong as fook! 8)

Purple
18-03-2008, 23:20
Mine's about 140k miles and still on factory gaskets.

MaRiO
19-03-2008, 00:11
Cheers for reply's fella's..

Sounds ok tbh, my old boss had a laguna with a 2 litre in it and he never serviced it and was on 170k..lol

My Saxo has 126k and still seems to be fine, the reason i ask is that i dont know whether i will be able save enough for a really nice low mileage one..

I want another car pretty sharpish and will have around 3k to spend in a few months, looking in the for sale section it seems i'll get a reasonable one for this price..

Rust is my main concern though, i know the arhes at the back can rust but what other places are prone and is it repairable as in new wings etc..

I know that some car's rust in certain places that cant really be repaired..

My main aim is to get one with no oil leaks and as little amount of rust as possible..lol

Cheers fella's and sorry if these questions have already been answered, i did have a search but couldnt really find much..

:D

bruce_rob
19-03-2008, 00:26
my one has daone 10k and still running strong ha ha :D

1995clio16v
19-03-2008, 00:30
Hi & Welcome

Why dont you get a 16v and see if you like it?

They have 'similar' performance to a willy and performance to price wise they offer better value. You could find a mint 16v for around £1300 and less now.

Dont forget, these are renaults and they WILL have things that will go wrong, so you may end up spending all your cash on a williams and having non left to fix all the problems, as you say budget is tight.

Plus if you arent a dab hand on the old mechanics and you have to get it looked at by a garage they will charge you a fortune, thats providing they will touch it, cause as everyone will testify on here, theyre bitches to work on. Everything has been shoe-horned in! For example a clutch would cost around £500 to be replaced at your average garage.

You will be lucky to find a willy with sub 80k on it now, usually priced around 2.5k+

Dont get me wrong williams are a GREAT car so if you have your sights set on one go for it fella!

Those are my views.

Btw, my 16v F7P has just gone over 100,000 miles today, FSH, running strong as an ox. If you get a well looked after one with FSH it will go strong for a long time. I think theyre underestimated engines!

:o

MaRiO
19-03-2008, 00:35
Hi & Welcome

Why dont you get a 16v and see if you like it?

They have 'similar' performance to a willy and performance to price wise they offer better value. You could find a mint 16v for around £1300 and less now.

Dont forget, these are renaults and they WILL have things that will go wrong, so you may end up spending all your cash on a williams and having non left to fix all the problems, as you say budget is tight.

Plus if you arent a dab hand on the old mechanics and you have to get it looked at by a garage they will charge you a fortune, thats providing they will touch it, cause as everyone will testify on here, theyre bitches to work on. Everything has been shoe-horned in! For example a clutch would cost around £500 to be replaced at your average garage.

You will be lucky to find a willy with sub 80k on it now, usually priced around 2.5k+

Dont get me wrong williams are a GREAT car so if you have your sights set on one go for it fella!

Those are my views.

Btw, my 16v F7P has just gone over 100,000 miles today, FSH, running strong as an ox. If you get a well looked after one with FSH it will go strong for a long time. I think theyre underestimated engines!

:o

I was thinking along the lines of a 1.8 16v tbh..

I have a Citroen, they go wrong aswell..lol

I see what you mean though, the engine bays do look cramped etc..I have quite good mechanical knowledge, fitted a gearbox to my car a few weeks back and have a PSA group TU engine which i bought to take apart and learn more about engines etc..

Thing is i have my heart set on a Williams, but it makes no sense to buy one and then have nothing left over incase things go wrong..

May end up with a 1.8 16v.. :cry: :wink:

Thanks for your reply.. 8)

donsrno1
19-03-2008, 01:04
Thing is i have my heart set on a Williams, but it makes no sense to buy one and then have nothing left over incase things go wrong..

Personally I wouldn't want to buy a williams with nothing left over as it is quite likely with buying any car that you may find things that need replacing not long after buying, though I have to admit I bought my hybrid with little to spare :lol:.

However, there is a big difference between a williams and valver in terms of power. I have owned a valver and a hybrid (valver with williams engine) and the performance from my hybrid is in another league to the valver (though admitadely mine does run a fair bit above standard power). Also, the handling on the williams is meant to be much better than a valver, though I can't personally comment on that as I've never driven a williams. Basically imo if you can afford it its well worth paying the extra and going for the williams.

MaRiO
19-03-2008, 03:27
Sensible reply there dude.. 8)

Gona have a hunt around, do some research and see whats what when the time comes.. :)

white16valver
19-03-2008, 10:48
If you can get one, I would recommend going straight for the williams. (Or getting a good hybrid!)

My valver is great, and I love it (when it's running right and nothing needs fixing :roll: lol :lol:) but I've spent £££ getting it widetracked (which is MUCH better than standard!) and would need to spend £££ getting a 2.0 in there in the future.

The 1.8 is great, don't get me wrong, as I love the fact it revs for england and loves being thrashed once it's warmed up, but for more power you're realistically going to have to go turbo (££££) or F7R (£££).

And servicing and all that is much the same for both models so you may as well get the quicker one in the first place! :P :D

u33db
19-03-2008, 11:31
Hey chaps..

What sort of mileage will the William's engines do? Obviously a well looked after one is a must..

I have seen a few PSA group petrol engines with 200k ish on the clock and still working ok, i would imagine that Renault are a pretty capable company tbh..

Just asking as when i go looking at them to buy, i dont wana buy one with 140k or whatever if they dont last that long due to engine design or whatever..

Cheers guys..:)

Theres been several williams/16v's that have gone over 200k.

The engine isn't the weak point tho, its the gearboxes.

If the car is approching the 120k mark and gets driven enthusiastically then budget for a new box as, IMO, they nearly all go upwards of this mileage.

Andyvalver
19-03-2008, 11:34
My valver was on 165k when i sold it and i used to kill it on a dially basis lol. I killed 4 gearboxes though but the engines are bullet proof tbh 8)

MaRiO
21-03-2008, 01:12
Thanks for the replies everyone..

They sound like the Saxo's in a way..The gearbox's in Saxo's are shite..lol

:lol:

eternalife
21-03-2008, 03:35
My williams is on a 123k :D

Whatever you buy (be it a 16v or a Williams), the key is its history.
Find on when the following was done -
Cambelt?
Gearbox change/refurbed?
Driveshafts changed?
Suspension refreshed?
Signs of rust / poor paint work?
As well as all the other bits.

A person who maintains his car well - is very likely to always have history (receipts) to back it up.

If anything doesn't look quite right - take off the money from the price of the car.
Most of all, be patient in looking for the car you want and always be prepared to walk away.

talkingfish
21-03-2008, 14:40
as is the general opinion on here - the engine is the strongest bit of a Willy but as with all cars the history and overall "feel" of the car are more impotant.....

there are plenty of other weaker parts that are much more likely to fail than the engine- e.g gearbox and clutch.... so it is more important to check these things have been done on any car you look at...

good luck in your hunt for a car!

holl
21-03-2008, 15:28
Mine had done nearly 180k, was still goin strong but did a full rebuild and turbo conversion!! :D

bill.
22-03-2008, 02:33
Mine had done nearly 180k, was still goin strong but did a full rebuild and turbo conversion!! :D

does your reg end in hol by any chance? if so do you remember a sorrento green 205 mi16 hassling you on the way to fcs last year, there was also a bmw giving it some!

holl
23-03-2008, 11:50
Haha yea i do....was i driving tho??

bill.
23-03-2008, 16:59
not sure mate, i was driving the pug though, i think there was a girl in the passenger seat?

was this pre turbo conversion?

holl
23-03-2008, 19:19
Yea my bf would of been drivin then, yep pre turbo....he was slow then lol!!! :D

wavy
23-03-2008, 23:29
mines just passed 119,000 seems sorted to me :)