PDA

View Full Version : cutting out

Ollyb16v
18-03-2008, 22:34
My valver has suddenly developed a problem, i go to start the car, the ignition lights are on turn the key and all the power goes. tap the positive battery terminal and all is well again, until when i go to start my car again it might be ok but then other times not.

1995clio16v
18-03-2008, 23:38
My valver has suddenly developed a problem, i go to start the car, the ignition lights are on turn the key and all the power goes. tap the positive battery terminal and all is well again, until when i go to start my car again it might be ok but then other times not.

Maybe your alternator?

The tapping your terminals would prob be a coincidence?

Ollyb16v
19-03-2008, 18:44

Maybe your alternator?

The tapping your terminals would prob be a coincidence?

Its a fairly new alternator.

white16valver
19-03-2008, 18:57
Sounds like you need to go through and make sure the connections are all tight!

The positive terminal thing is definitely screwed on tightly?

Ollyb16v
21-03-2008, 19:23
Sounds like you need to go through and make sure the connections are all tight!

The positive terminal thing is definitely screwed on tightly?

Yep all tight, weird. could it be the part that goes round the terminals of the battery? or the red insulation?

alex_e3
21-03-2008, 21:48
Had a similar problem ages ago when i was fitting a load of stereo equipment.

I removed the positive whilst i was doing it - went to start it after re-connecting it, and the ignition came on but didn't turn over. Shit myself 'coz i removed the old immobiliser as well, and thought i'd screwed something up!!!

Went to the engine bay and had to fiddle with the terminal a bit, then it was fine.

If i were you i'd leave the ignition on, then pop to the bay and wriggle it about. You should be able to hear the fuel pump priming on and off, and maybe a relay clicking when you get the good connection.

Seems to big a coincidence to not check it out really!

Lunner
22-03-2008, 14:30
It will be either the terminal to connector connection, or the wire connection to the connector, make sure the terminals are nice and clean etc

Justin..
23-03-2008, 15:14
i had this problem. the oe terminals are shite. get them changed

i put a jubilee clip around my +ve terminal and it cured it :wink:

Ollyb16v
24-03-2008, 23:42
i had this problem. the oe terminals are shite. get them changed

i put a jubilee clip around my +ve terminal and it cured it :wink:
what about the red insulation??

Would tape surfice?

Justin..
25-03-2008, 17:33
i dont get what you mean :?

Ollyb16v
25-03-2008, 18:18
i dont get what you mean :?

Well on the positive therer is red insulation over it i suppose to insulate it from shorting????

Justin..
25-03-2008, 18:23
oh mine doesnt have that