PDA

View Full Version : carbon fibre parts

geesus
17-03-2008, 12:38
right i've been having a chat with bic at streamline carbon about some cf products for the mk1 clio

things i have asked about are:

boot spoiler (mould of a standard spoiler, not a huge aftermarket thing)
inner boot trim (bit that covers the lock mechanism etc)
scuttle panel

now is there any other parts you would like to see produced, and more importantly is there GENUINE interest in the above products. because if there isnt im not wasting my time and streamilne carbons time by sending them oe parts to make moulds out of and get ideas of prices.

any comments welcome

and is anyone aware of any other cf products on the market for the mk1 clio?

cheers

simonr85
17-03-2008, 14:13
i can get CF door cards :lol:

white16valver
17-03-2008, 14:31
There was a post on here a little while ago getting interest, but I think getting the moulds done was going to be ££££ so not worth it.

There's also a post on CS about CF parts that look pretty good. I've posted in it but can't remember which section it's in lol

I'd love some CF stuff but can't afford it :(

geesus
17-03-2008, 14:48
yeh the post on CS is about streamline products as they are producing various mk2 parts, and bic does ask about parts for the mk1, but because there doesnt seem to be many mk1 owners on there he didnt get much of a reply

so i contacted him myself to see what they could do

1995clio16v
17-03-2008, 19:17
There was a post on here a little while ago getting interest, but I think getting the moulds done was going to be ££££ so not worth it.

Yes, as white16v says. It was my goodself about the carbon parts. The moulds are telephone numbers, price wise.

I deal with these ppl in china a lot and im still working on trying to get the price of the mould reduced.

Im not familiar with the complexity of putting a mould together or the materials the mould is made from so im trying to get them to reduce the price using different materials....?????

:D

geesus
18-03-2008, 10:31
hmm, is the cost so high because you want to purchase the mould and therefore you could make any number of that product and rake in the profits? that makes sense to me if they are going through all the trouble of making a mould that you want to buy?

difference here is that streamline carbon would just be selling us the ready made carbon parts, they retain the moulds for any future purchases.

i think basically what they need to do is get a minimum of 5 orders per part to justify the cost of the mould, otherwise its just not cost effective

this is a great opportunity to have cf parts made for the clio, and once the moulds are done they can be used for people in the future who also want the parts

if no-one is interested then fair enough, but i can gaurantee that if i post pics of mine with some parts on it people are going to want them, so why not get in on the act?

simonr85
18-03-2008, 10:59
would anybody be interested in a set of the following door cards as a group buy?

http://www.performance-trim.com/old/products/doorcards/carboncard.jpg

They weigh about 1.5kg the pair and can have optional cut outs for winder, latch, grab handle etc. Tell them what you need when you order!

Can also be cut and trimmed at home for speakers, switches and other customisation, would need at least 5 people for group buy and a guess at rough price will be about £100 for the front pair inc dvry

simonr85
18-03-2008, 11:00
hmm, is the cost so high because you want to purchase the mould and therefore you could make any number of that product and rake in the profits? that makes sense to me if they are going through all the trouble of making a mould that you want to buy?

difference here is that streamline carbon would just be selling us the ready made carbon parts, they retain the moulds for any future purchases.

i think basically what they need to do is get a minimum of 5 orders per part to justify the cost of the mould, otherwise its just not cost effective

this is a great opportunity to have cf parts made for the clio, and once the moulds are done they can be used for people in the future who also want the parts

if no-one is interested then fair enough, but i can gaurantee that if i post pics of mine with some parts on it people are going to want them, so why not get in on the act?

get some pics posted then of parts mate!

geesus
18-03-2008, 11:16
trying to sort out a group buy with performance-trim? ;) thats where my door cards are from, and by the way they dont look like that pic when you get them

and as for getting pics of the parts, im not sure you understand, there are NO carbon fibre parts produced that i have listed, this is to develop them from scratch

the scuttle i was thinking of basing on this which as far as i know is a one off someone had made

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/moo0484/02032008547.jpg

the boot trim will be as an addition to the door cards myself and other people already have, i'm going to try and get away with a flat panel rather than a moulded piece as this will dramatically cut down cost, but i need to do some more thinking first

the spoiler will be moulded to the same shape as the original boot spoiler for an oe look

simonr85
18-03-2008, 11:21
trying to sort out a group buy with performance-trim? ;) thats where my door cards are from, and by the way they dont look like that pic when you get them

Yes performance trim, they look like they have some quite good products, so what do the doorcards look like then? Did you get just the fronts or the rears too?

geesus
18-03-2008, 11:27
i got the fronts and the rears

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/geesus69/clio/DSC00394.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/geesus69/clio/DSC00395.jpg

and although for the price i am happy with the quality, it is worth bearing in mind that these are fibre glass backed (understandable for the price of them) which adds to their weight. im pretty sure performance-trim can do lighter panels but the cost increases dramatically.

at the end of the day i am not after weight saving so much, otherwise i wouldnt have any door cards at all! im just after a good look. if i was to try and save weight on larger panels like bonnet and boot etc i would go for fibreglass.

simonr85
18-03-2008, 11:38
wow they look good, yes i know they were fibreglass backed and yes they can do full super light 1s for more £ but im same as you, just want a tidy look, i bet they still save a fair bit of weight tho.

geesus
18-03-2008, 11:39
oh yeh definately, the door cards that came with the car weighed alot more than these

simonr85
18-03-2008, 11:40
oh yeh definately, the door cards that came with the car weighed alot more than these

how are they attached? riveted on? and have you got any pics of them fitted?

geesus
18-03-2008, 12:00
i have attached them with black self tappers and black cup washers, pics here (scroll down)

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26098&start=80

simonr85
18-03-2008, 12:09
i have attached them with black self tappers and black cup washers, pics here (scroll down)

yeh they look good, did you make the handle yourself? wouldnt mind making a door pocket out of carbon that bolts on them doorcards but once again no mould so would bump prices up stupidly.

simonr85
18-03-2008, 12:11
very off topic mate but on them pics where you have cut out your rear arches you can see the rear caliper and there is 2 holes in the caliper, should bolts go in there to hold the pads in?

1995clio16v
18-03-2008, 12:26

Im not too sure what you mean?

The mould wouldnt belong to me. They dont manufacture carbon motor car parts as standard, only bicycle parts, which is what I buy from them currently.

I presume them paying for the mould would be no use to them whatsoever as they wouldnt be able to sell the carbon clio parts to anyone else but me. Hence the reason why they want me to pay for it.

As I said im unfamiliar with the process of building a mould or what materials are involved in making a mould. It must be pretty complex for the prices they quote.

For example a mould for a spark plug cover was $1400, then theres the price of the spark plug cover its-self.

:shock:

geesus
18-03-2008, 12:38
simonr85 - no i bought the handles from another company, and yes there should be 2 bolts in the holes, but the new pads came without holes for them to screw into so left them out, the L shaped metal plate holds the pads in place just fine

1995clio16v - yeh thats what i mean, they wouldnt be able to sell the carbon parts to anyone else as they are not in the market for it. so they want you to pay for the cost of making the mould as there is no way they can recoup the money.

streamline carbon own the moulds and are in the business of selling car parts, if they can get 5 initial orders of the parts they are making the mould for it covers and justifies the expense of producing the mould, then they have it for any future orders (technically the mould can sit there until someone orders another part)

so for instance, the mould costs £500 to make, they can sell the part for £100 so want 5 orders to justify making the mould and cover expenses. then after they have made the 5 parts the mould can be re-used at any time, so they might not get another order for 6 months, but its no skin of their nose as the mould hasnt cost them anything. as you can imagine if they make a £500 mould and get one order and then no-one else ever buys another one, they have lost £400, not a very good business plan!

this is why carbon fibre companies love making race parts, because the chances of them getting damaged and more orders being placed is very high

simonr85
18-03-2008, 12:57
cheers pal, didnt want to risk driving it and not putting them bolts in and the pads fly out again, as the side that i lost is the side that had no bolts in.

And here is what the company i spoke to about moulds had to say:

thanks for getting in touch. One offs can be pretty expensvive - production moulds cost about £1000 for a typical bonnet, and unit costs for replica bonnets are £395 for a carbon/fibreglass bonnet, or £495 for fully carbon. We also offer race spec bonnets (which are honeycomb reinforced single skins) at £395 for fully carbon or £345 for carbon/fibreglass mix.

Most people will organise group buys in clubs and forums, as we can take on the costs of moulding for 5 or more units. Engine covers can also be done by the same basis, with unit costs of £125 each. (depending on complexity).

Our standard door trims are about 1.5kg per pair, but we can make thinner/lighter parts on request if you have a particular need for weight saving.

Best regards, Mike.

geesus
19-03-2008, 10:46

yeh they look good, did you make the handle yourself? wouldnt mind making a door pocket out of carbon that bolts on them doorcards but once again no mould so would bump prices up stupidly.

i can find you a door pocket ;) but it will cost you £45 delivered :shock:

simonr85
19-03-2008, 11:06

i can find you a door pocket ;) but it will cost you £45 delivered :shock:

each???

geesus
19-03-2008, 11:06
yep :shock:

simonr85
19-03-2008, 11:11
yep :shock:

blimey! lol will have to think about that 1,

geesus
19-03-2008, 11:54
right just to sum up, IF anyone is interested in buying cf parts (again i stress GENUINE interest) then please put your name next to the parts

1. boot spoiler - geesus
2. inner boot trim - geesus
3. scuttle - geesus

any other parts feel free to add and put your name down

rob-legend
09-06-2008, 23:32
we should get some Renault bonnet badges made up! I'm sure a few people would fancy that!

Daz.
10-06-2008, 06:42
Heat shield!

geesus
10-06-2008, 10:07
as it stands i will not be suggesting any more parts to stramline carbon

basically we are still 1 deposit short for the spoilers, in an attempt to sort this i have told streamline i will pay for the fifth spoiler (aswell as my own) out of my own pocket. now this isnt ideal for me as i have got money i need to spend on other things, but its the only way i can see to resolve it.

what has really got me annoyed is that we had 7 people genuinely interested (i did stress not to put names down unless they were 100% sure) and yet we are now scrabbling around for 5 deposits! :?

Daz.
10-06-2008, 15:00
You won't get much interest in spolilers on here though - especially if they're 16v shaped - mose on here want full size willy efforts and painted 449... so totally useless really getting a carbon one.

The reason I suggested a heatsheild is because it works on all cars, is functional, replaces a part which reguarly gets damaged and a bonus is it would look cool.

rickyquicky
10-06-2008, 15:43
id be interested in heat shield as well in carbon

how well does carbon fibre stand up to heat?

white16valver
10-06-2008, 16:52
If it worked out cheaper than the standard effort (and if the pay fairies are being generous), I'd be interested in a CF one too :)

geesus
10-06-2008, 17:26
how much is the standard one?

Daz.
10-06-2008, 19:28
£50 odd

Lunner
10-06-2008, 19:37
I'd defo be interested in a CF one, could use an old one easily enough for the mould, strengthen it with a bit of fibreglass and you're away

I was gonna make myself a fibreglass ne, but CF would be much better

Daz.
10-06-2008, 19:43
Thats 4 people already!

I'd rather fork out once for a decent heatshield that won't break up (as this newish one is already) rather than keep buying replacements that will ultimately dry up.

Martin
10-06-2008, 23:18
i'd be interested in a heat shield

geesus
11-06-2008, 13:34
i seriously doubt a carbon fibre heat shield is going to be less than £50

but someone get me detailed pics of the heat shield and i can ask for a rough price, i reckon you are looking at least £100

geesus
11-06-2008, 13:39
on another note, is the vakver phase 1 spoiler not the same shape and design as the williams spoiler?

they look very similar from pics!

teabag
11-06-2008, 13:40
i seriously doubt a carbon fibre heat shield is going to be less than £50

but someone get me detailed pics of the heat shield and i can ask for a rough price, i reckon you are looking at least £100

£100 is value for money tbh with the rate the renault ones break up at

Wobba
11-06-2008, 14:45
on another note, is the vakver phase 1 spoiler not the same shape and design as the williams spoiler?

Williams one is bigger.

Daz.
11-06-2008, 16:09

Willy ones are bigger - also fitted to late RSI's - they look bigger the instant you swap them over.

It would be a hard task getting them for £50 aye! but I think people would pay more to guarantee that was the only one they'd ever have to buy.

white16valver
11-06-2008, 16:12
As long as they did what they were supposed to do, of course lol

rob-legend
11-06-2008, 17:59
yeah dependent upon price and it's heat resistance, i'd be up for a CF one like 8)

speed
11-06-2008, 19:38
id be in for a heat shield

geesus
12-06-2008, 08:59
right who can get me some pics and some measurements then? will also talk to bic about the heat resistance properties of carbon fibre

Daz.
12-06-2008, 17:52
Sure someone could post you a shitty one to replicate - I'd like a spot on replica rather than something that looks home made.

eBay would drum up a lot of business for these too I'd say.

teabag
12-06-2008, 17:56
Sure someone could post you a shitty one to replicate - I'd like a spot on replica rather than something that looks home made.

untill everyone has one....then they'll never be needed again

itll be like the steel industry all over again lol

renault will go out of business if they dont need to make mani heatsheilds any more lol :lol:

geesus
13-06-2008, 14:10

well a mould would need to be taken so if it goes ahead i will ned one posting anyway, the reason i want measurements is to work out the overall size for costing

i dont see it being a problem to make, the design of them looks pretty straight forward, i think we are looking at over £100 though

white16valver
13-06-2008, 15:54
At that price I would hesitate, I have to be honest... lol

rob-legend
13-06-2008, 18:11
snap, although depends at how much money i have that month :lol:

summeh
28-06-2008, 03:06
you mentioned fibreglass panels for bonnet etc earlier on in this thread, any ball park figure on what your guy can produce fibreglass bonnet, doors and bootlid? Can you ask and get a rough idea?

spikey-ben
28-06-2008, 17:47
Need cf heat shield badly, renno ones are pointless because they fall apart so quick. Please make them :)

Wobba
11-02-2009, 01:14
What happened to carbon parts then?