PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft - What Part(s) Do I Need From Renault

Robertio
16-03-2008, 21:45
Decided to change the springs to factory ones on my Williams this evening (another thread on that to follow) and when putting the shock back in got a strong smell of transmission fluid :cry:

http://www.learnanddo.com/personal/clio/forum%20attachments/driveshaft.jpg

The red line shows where the gaiter section has come away from the passenger side driveshaft. Do I need to get a whole new driveshaft from Renault? or what parts do I need?

I assume for removal (I've taken out the 3 bolts around the gaiter) I just need to take off the (what looks like) 30mm bolt on the hub and it will slide out? Any other strange bits I should expect to fall out/have to replace during this?

The gearbox is new and was fitted by a garage before I got the car, so it is fresh fluid that has stained my paving :oops:

Thanks

northy
16-03-2008, 22:00
guide here mate

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23816

Robertio
16-03-2008, 22:21
Thanks 8) Don't suppose you can remember if the hub nut is 30mm? I'll need to buy a socket of the appropriate size and a bearing press (suspect the 12 ton press I have might be a little OTT). Why is it no matter how many tools you have they are never the right ones for the job at hand?

Not getting that done by Wednesday evening. Looks like I'm hiring a car for Easter weekend as both of mine will now be off the road :roll: why couldn't I have just left it alone? :oops:

richy
16-03-2008, 22:23
yeah driveshaft hub nut is 30mm mate, can be tight depending how old and who fitted it lol

Robertio
18-03-2008, 22:39
I'm pleased to report it was a relatively painless task 8) My car has long braided lines so I didn't have to unbolt the caliper or trackrod, which simplified things by reducing the number of rust bolts I could break :) Managed to do the pressing on my 12 ton suspension bush press, just had to be very careful. My local Renault garage had a gaiter in stock, hence the quick turnaround time.

Thanks for the how-to.

Costs involved:
Gaiter: £36.36 - Renault
Oil: £10.49 - Euro Car Parts
Socket Set (for 30mm): £23.48 - Machine Mart
Total: £70.33 (the joys of having to buy everything from places within walking distance of home)