PDA

View Full Version : First start issues

Wobba
16-03-2008, 20:37
Finished fixing car. Switched it on and the revs went to 2000 straight away. After that they proceeded to get higher and higher till I switched it off.

To those of you that done know, I just changed the headgasket and cambelt. There was some smoke coming from engine bay as well, but I think this may just be shite fluids thats built up on the exhaust manifold.

What would cause this? Slipping belt? Something too tight?

Wobba
16-03-2008, 20:38
Could the ISCV be on the wrong way round?

MAXIBOY
16-03-2008, 20:38
sounds like an air leak maybe. are all the hoses on.

Wobba
16-03-2008, 20:57
Must be an air leak somewhere aye. Could it also be inlet manifold not on tight enough?

MAXIBOY
16-03-2008, 21:14
yeah could be mate

richy
16-03-2008, 22:18
when i put my williams back together it did the same thing sat at 2k and got higher, all it was on mine was the ISCV sticking, took it off and cleaned it out with carb cleaner and it idled perfect then,

but normally a air leak would cause it to rev on its own, either you have missed something like a pipe on the inlet manifold or a gasket isnt right and leaking, or pos as said the ISCV needs a clean!

as for the smoke on exhaust i wouldnt worry to much about that if you have been handling it with dirty hands, just been the oil/muck burning off

Wobba
16-03-2008, 22:25
Ok, I cleaned the ISCV a while ago with carb cleaner before refitting it, so I doubt it is that unless I have put it on the wrong way round.

I have a terrible feeling I know what it is: I foolishly put the cylinder head back on before fitting the inlet manifold and so doing the nuts up underneath the Inlet was VERY hard. I may not have been able to do them up tight enough.

I will check otehr pipes first before taking it all apart again.

richy
16-03-2008, 22:38
Ok, I cleaned the ISCV a while ago with carb cleaner before refitting it, so I doubt it is that unless I have put it on the wrong way round.

I have a terrible feeling I know what it is: I foolishly put the cylinder head back on before fitting the inlet manifold and so doing the nuts up underneath the Inlet was VERY hard. I may not have been able to do them up tight enough.

I will check otehr pipes first before taking it all apart again.

theres a arrow on the ISCV which points at the manifold so easy to check

the inlet manifold i fitted the same way as you, and with used a 1/4drive socket set with extensions i did mine up fine! its not as hard as everyone makes out, well imo it isnt!

Wobba
16-03-2008, 22:40
The shitter is, I have put the bonnet on and slam panel etc and it's gonna mean I have to take it all apart again :(

richy
16-03-2008, 22:43
doh!

Matty86
16-03-2008, 22:52
so close mate :(

I feel your pain in this endeavor :(

MicKPM
17-03-2008, 09:27
I would say it'll be 100% a leak on the inlet.

Have you been and purchased the small socket set from Halfords?

Wobba
17-03-2008, 10:08

I have a small socket set, but I think the nuts for the inlet are 10mm. I have a 10mm socket, but the problem is, as I mentioned in a previous post, some of the nuts on the underside are a serious pain to get to.

To make things worse, one of the bolts holding the alternator has sheared off, and so taking that and the power steering pump off to get to the problem bolts on the lower corner bolt is going to be hard.

I put the bonnet and radiator on, and slam panel/grill etc so reaching it from the front is only going to be possible if I take the whole lot apart again, and due to time I cant do this till the weekend.

Really need the car now, this week.

Wobba
17-03-2008, 10:10

I am 99% sure thats what it is too.