PDA

View Full Version : Inlet manifold, refitting lower nuts

Wobba
12-03-2008, 14:53
I took my cylinder head off with the inlet attached, but this time I have put the inlet on after it's all been put back.

The problem is that I am having a very hard time reaching the stud bolts to put the nuts back on on the underside of the manifold.

Any worthwhile tricks? Not keen on removing alternator and all that gubbins to get to just a bolt or two...

thelynx
12-03-2008, 15:47
Use a rachet spanner, will def be easier to get in the fiddly bits

Robb
12-03-2008, 16:47
Unfortunatly you will more than likely have to remove the far bottom left one. I couldnt get this nut on no matter what even with a bendy extension. Had to take the alternator and power steering pump off to do it

Wobba
12-03-2008, 17:20
Unfortunatly you will more than likely have to remove the far bottom left one. I couldnt get this nut on no matter what even with a bendy extension. Had to take the alternator and power steering pump off to do it

Christ, that's the one that looks the hardest to get on for sure! Oh well, I think more work is in order then...

summeh
12-03-2008, 17:27
always easier to put the head back on with inlet mani attached :wink: doh...

I have managed it before without taking the alt off etc... using a 1/4" ratchet/screwdriver, long extension, and possibly with a bendy bit. It's v tight but I'm sure it can be done.

stan
12-03-2008, 17:36
remove the aux bracketry, that will be the easiest way.

Wobba
12-03-2008, 17:39
I guess. I think it is possible without removin stuff but it's bloody tight.

I'll look at taking the big bracket off this weekend.

It's always one more thing with these cars!

richy
12-03-2008, 19:25
all i had to do was remove the bolt at the back of the pas pump, that allowed me to fit a 1/4 inch drive 10mm socket/extensions and undo/fit them without problem!

number1
12-03-2008, 19:59
Ive got a snap on 1/4 drive kit, just for inlet manifold occasions, lol

Best advice i can give you, copper grease the threads, makes the nuts go on easier, may be able to get them to finger tight that way

MicKPM
13-03-2008, 09:33
^^ As above... a nice small set will get in there (just on the bottom left) but it saves having to remove the aux brac and alt!

Go to Halfords and spend another £12 ;)

Wobba
14-03-2008, 00:25
I'll let you know how it goes. Think it will be heavy rain this weekend though so dunno if I will try yet.

Wobba
17-03-2008, 14:26
Ok. This I believe is now the problem which has caused my idle speed to be at 2k rpm getting higher as I leave it idling.

The lower nut on the inlet manifold must have either fallen off or isnt tight enough as I had a hell of a time reaching it. Couldnt get to it by hand at all.

I now have the car completely put back together.

I am thinking a flexihead ratchet spanner may help, but I REALLY dont want to take the bonnet off, or slam panel and certainly not the radiator.

Is there enough of a gap over the PS pump next to the alternator to do it up from that side?

MicKPM
17-03-2008, 14:31
Drivers headlamp out... you can get a 3/8 10mm socket with a long extention bar to clear both the alt/PS bracketry and inlet.

Damn Clio inlets are a rate pain in the arse but it can be done... i've done it myself a few times now.

Wobba
17-03-2008, 14:38
Drivers headlamp out... you can get a 3/8 10mm socket with a long extention bar to clear both the alt/PS bracketry and inlet.

Damn Clio inlets are a rate pain in the arse but it can be done... i've done it myself a few times now.

Thanks Mick, that is what I needed to hear :D

They are a pain in the arse, aye!

I'll give it a go tonight or tomorrow!

Wobba
17-03-2008, 15:06

Is that with a ratchet spanner or...

MicKPM
17-03-2008, 15:52
I've tried getting my 10mm rachet spanner in there and they fit but there's no room to get any turn on the lower nuts let alone apply any pressure to tighten the buggers.

I've always used mr 10mm rachet spanner on the top row and Mr 3/8th socket set on the lowers and all has been bon!

Wobba
17-03-2008, 17:38
I'll give it a go, but the bonnet, rad and rad ducting/slam panel are in place now so it will be v. tight!

Wobba
17-03-2008, 20:23
Well, home now. It's bloody freezing outside but I gave the driver side lower stud a go with the bolt that has clearly come a bit loose. The Power steering pump pipe is in the way and wont budge, so I cant reach it. The bonnet on and other shiz in the way makes it very hard.

I think it would be a lot easier in the light, when its warmer, and with a flexijoint extension thing.

I tried pressing the ISCV short pipe down and the revs dropped to about 900 rpmmaybe lower. I've taken the ISCV off again and will clean it again for good measure. I also remember I took off a jubilee clip from it and the pipes so I will fit new ones and try refitting tomorrow, though I am sure its the bloody inlet manifold.

alex_e3
17-03-2008, 20:28
Just checking mate - but you haven't fiddled wth the TPS at all have you? I swapped mine once and didn't line it up correct - the car idled at about 2k revs and it wouldn't drop.

Was ok once i had a fiddle again.

Wobba
18-03-2008, 09:32
Just checking mate - but you haven't fiddled wth the TPS at all have you? I swapped mine once and didn't line it up correct - the car idled at about 2k revs and it wouldn't drop.

Was ok once i had a fiddle again.

I tried to make sure I left it well alone, but the wiring is looking old.

Wobba
18-03-2008, 14:31
May try one of these flexible extension bars to do it...what u reckon?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/images/library/product/large/04/040215136.jpg

MicKPM
18-03-2008, 17:53
Don't take this the wrong way like but....

Stop being a girl :D

The PS "resevoir to pump" hose will bend out the way so you don't have to remove it. Just get your small 10mm socket on to a long-ish extension and poke it in via the drivers side headlamp hole and you'll get on without the need for and flexible units.

If you weren't in Southampton i'd come do it for you cos i'm getting frustraited with it now :lol:

Paul Marshall is brining his valver to me on Friday for a PS Pump switch so i'll keep the camera on hand and photograph me doing it just to upset you :wink:

Mick

richy
18-03-2008, 19:31
i agree stop being a girl :P lol

i used a 1/4 drive set from halfords(halfords pro set) 2 extensions a short 10mm socket and ratchet and it fitted fine, as said i swapped manifolds with the engine in car!

Wobba
19-03-2008, 01:49
Reason I can be a whiney girl is, I am tired of working on it in the dark, in the street, in the freezing cold and rain when I am tired after work. I am just frustrated theres always one more thing to do after weeks of working on it.

It's my birthday today, so you have to be nice to me :tongue:

MicKPM
19-03-2008, 09:31
Happy Birthday... now go man the fook up and get out there and finish the job. I've done the working outside thing and agree, it's hard. I stupidly did an engine change in -2 last year so I know what it's like when you can't grip your tools ;)

Wobba
19-03-2008, 10:20
Happy Birthday... now go man the fook up and get out there and finish the job. I've done the working outside thing and agree, it's hard. I stupidly did an engine change in -2 last year so I know what it's like when you can't grip your tools ;)

Lol!!!

That musta hurt. The cold seems to make everything a lot tougher to weork on...and when you bash your already numb hand on something it kills!

I should have some time to give the damn inlet nut a go today, half day at work for meeee! :D

Wobba
19-03-2008, 16:49
Ok, well given it another two hours of my time. I give up.

It's simply not possible to get the nut, socket and extension to the bolt. It wont go in at the right angle. I'd have to dismantle the bonnet, radiator, grill, slam panel, manifold mounts, and that very annoying PS pump pipe out of the way which on mine is wedged in very tight. Probably the alternator bracket too, which has a sheared bolt on it which I cant get off.

I am rather more inclined to scrap the whole ****ing thing right now. I just dont have the time or patience to spend anymore.

Wobba
24-03-2008, 19:35
I've had a break and decided to come back to the problem on the inlet nuts today, with new extension bar and universal 3/8" knuckle joint.

I took the bonnet off, and the slam panel and other bits in the way. The power steering pipe is directly in the way of a straight job, and even with brute force trying to move it out the way it wont budge, theres no where for it to go, so I cant even see the stud bolt I am trying to fit the nut onto.

After a further 3 hours trying, I cant even get the 10mm socket near the bolt, let alone dangling a nut on the end of it, which 99% of the 1000000000000 times I have tried falls off (getting stuck somewhre in the insides of the engine bay) whilst trying to poke it through.

In short: I cannot do it. I cannot fix the air leak without taking off everything and starting more or less all over again after 2 months work.

Sometimes one has to admit defeat, and know when to quit. The expense, time and effort sitting in the muddy gutter of the street in the freezing cold and rain is not much fun, especially when at the end of the day you are wasting your time anyway.

Money is a major issue, and I have been working on the car when I could have been concentrating on finding better work.

I will get a quote from a garage to do it, but to be honest they will likely charge at least £200 and I am tired of living on baked beans just to have the dubious pleasure of a car that does not work sitting outside rusting for 2 or 3 months. If they do, that's game over for me and the car will be sent to the crusher unless I get a reasonable offer before then.

Lunner
24-03-2008, 19:46
Don't get a garage to do it, get someone like Stan to do it, someone who knows what they are doing and will sort it in half the time

Wobba
24-03-2008, 20:06
Problem is I cant drive the car distances like that and I cant think of anyone we know near enough to get too. The car runs but idles high and when you move the car and brake or dip clutch revs go all over the place. I cant move it as it is after all the work I did without a proper shakedown drive and I dont want it revving so high for any length of time on first drives.

Lunner
24-03-2008, 20:09
Isn't rentech near your neck of the woods?

Lunner
24-03-2008, 20:10
The old RAC cover or AA cover comes in handy too, drive it a mile or so from work and then get it recovered to APD

arj256
24-03-2008, 20:20
You want a hand?

donsrno1
24-03-2008, 20:29
Try and stick at it mate, if you can get someone on the forum to pop round and give you a hand then definately give that a go. I know it can feel like your ready to give up after spending so long on a job and getting sick fed up of it but at the end of the day your so close to finishing it that it really would be a shame to stop now.

Foley
24-03-2008, 21:25
If i'm free next weekend i will come and give you a hand if you want ! I mite be at 21 turbo owners met , if not i'm all yours ! :D

northy
24-03-2008, 22:29
sounds like you need a better set of tools pal...i have taken a inlet off before and it is very hard.....one opp is to raise the engine slightly to gain acsess ???

number1
25-03-2008, 23:44
I know how your feeling mate, been close to tears on many occasions, not always Renaults either, I know some mechanics who wont take on headgasket jobs on these cars because they are so fiddly, considering you had little mechanical knowledge i think you are doing very well! Just Persevere, The other day i rounded the thread off on my Passenger side driveshaft inner gaitor locating points, (The Dreaded three bolts) had to take the shaft back out and try to get something to bite in there, no luck, went in sat down had a cup of tea and a think, jb Weld ;) Job done!

Its usually Easier and quicker to undo something thats in the way than try and work around it, Pas bracket is an annoying job, time you undo the tensioner and take off alternator etc, but itll save you struggling and when its all back together you'll kick yourself for not doing it that way the first.... Second time :wink:

Good Luck

Wobba
26-03-2008, 16:05
Ya, thanks. The alternator is stuck as a bolt sheared off :(

I would have moved it but cant get it to budge.

Wobba
26-03-2008, 18:13
Well, i've lost the manifold nut now anyway, spent an hour looking for it in the pissing rain. Ill pay someone to come and shoot me please.

number1
26-03-2008, 19:39
I know what its like to be at the end of your teather mate, if i wasnt so far away id be in the car

Dave

Wobba
28-03-2008, 11:32
lost second inlet manifold nut now...and 10mm socket and the flexible knuckle joint down the front of the engine somewhere, cant get em out.

Still not fixed.