PDA

View Full Version : Head/Oil Question

griffo20022
09-03-2008, 01:14
Hey guys, previously I posted up a thread about a tapping in the head. I assumed it was the tappets needed changing and got some new ones, although upon doing the job of replacing them we found the inlet side of the head had LOADS of oil in which is normal, and the exhaust side of the head hardly had any in? Is this normal?

When we first saw this we decided to take the engine out (we wanted to tidy some stuff up anyway) and while the engine was out the head was sent off to be pressure checked all the channels etc cleared out and skimmed. While the head was off also the oil pump was cleaned out and tested, and all the oil channels in the bottom end were flushed out. So today was the big day and getting it all back together and running! :D Although the engine was tapping on the top end again (although not for half as long) and upon taking the rocker cover back off the situation was the same as previous, inlet side had loads of oil in and exhaust side was minimal amounts?

The engine seems to run very sweet in all fairness! Will record the length of time it takes for tapping to go away tomorrow on first startup. From what we hear the oil travels across from the inlet side of the head into the exhaust side rather than independant feeds from the bottom end, is this true? Any light shed on this just for a bit of peice of mind would be muchly appreciated :) and if anybody has had this experience at all.

The engine is mounted in a Volvo 340 in a FR drivetrain formation. The engine sits level on both sides as oppose to leant back slightly in a clio, so would this cause anything like this?

Lunner
09-03-2008, 12:35
Might have something to do with the type of oil you're using??

Have you had a search for the problem, as it comes up a fair bit

Wobba
09-03-2008, 12:57
So, in the actual inlet manifold itself is a pool of oil you mean? It could well be the way the engine normally leans toward driver, yet in yours, it does not.

Have to consult the experts, I am still a relative newbie hehe

griffo20022
09-03-2008, 21:01
I did have a brief search yer but nothing quite specific to what my question was.

It's done the same with both 10-40 semi synth and 10-30 semi synth

Wobba, thats what i'm beginning to think and maybe need to look into modifying the engine mounts or something to lean the engine replicating the angle of the engine if it were fitted in a clio.

In all fairness the car seems to run sweet as a nut and the tappets have quietened a shit load so it seems all good! Just seems to be weird how one side would have more oil than the other?

Wobba
09-03-2008, 21:30
Check the gasket in the breather hose housing, inside the rocker cover.

Normally it would be at the very top, away from oil, but if the gasket is knackered or it's taking too much oil in due to the engine running totally horizontal (unlike a clio) then that could explain where the oil is coming from.

Dunno how much a new gasket is, but it may well be worth swapping it for a new one anyway and see if it helps.

BRUN
10-03-2008, 12:47
firstly 10W-30 is too thin

what make of oil are you using, dont use Castrol it makes these engines very noisy, no idea why but it does

Lunner
11-03-2008, 14:41
As brun said, a *W30 is too thin, you want a *W40, give 5W40 Shell Helix a go, never had any probs with that

griffo20022
11-03-2008, 21:47
Well I got some 10-40W Semi Synth Halfords own stuff, so will see how that holds out at santa pod tomorrow lol

5_turbo
13-03-2008, 14:46
5-30 semi syth, cold climate
10-30 semi syth, moderate
10-40 semi syth, hot climate
thats the proper grades

bt i use 0-30 mobil in my williams all year round, change every 3 months an every 6 months wiv a forte engine flush. try that

paudi294
13-03-2008, 19:17
did u chance the valve stem oil seals

white16valver
13-03-2008, 21:45
5-30 semi syth, cold climate
10-30 semi syth, moderate
10-40 semi syth, hot climate
thats the proper grades

bt i use 0-30 mobil in my williams all year round, change every 3 months an every 6 months wiv a forte engine flush. try that
:shock: