PDA

View Full Version : Gunner chip - worth it?

alex_e3
08-03-2008, 13:50
Considering getting in touch with gunner to get one of these.

Questions:-

1) What is the fuel consumption like on 97 ron when it's settled down?

2) What realistic difference to performance does it make?

3) Is there anyone on here local to Wrexham that could solder the carrier in for me? Don't fancy doing it myself! Or would a local autoelecy be good enough - they should be i suppose!

Cheers,

Al

Daz.
08-03-2008, 15:41
1, Drive sensibly and there should be no noticable difference, the only reason I notice is because V-power (execelium) is £1.13 here at the moment :roll:

2, On a standard car I can't tell you by feel that its any different, stop watch may tell a different story but day to day its the same - the godsend! is the 7100 limiter, its so much easier to drive, your not watching the for the limiter constantly and for some of the roads I drive it keeps the car on the boil a lot better and with less gear changes - big thumbs up from me on that one - the main reason I got one

3, yes ask for Bill in the...... Wait no I'm lying now :lol:

number1
08-03-2008, 17:10
A great mod, as daz states, fuel consumtion is ok if you drive like your following a funeral procession, give it death and well the fuel gauge will drop quite quickly, i did a run to bristol a few months back, did 350 miles on a tank of vpower and usually get 260 a tank when driving.. "Properly" ;) around locally

I cant say i noticed a power increase, a few extra mph on my bridge test maybe, but the raised limiter makes it so worthwhile

Dave

titcharoony
08-03-2008, 18:25
I found my car pulled SLIGHTLY better through out, and the raised rev limiter was defo worth it. if u get a chip carrier soldered in, u can swop it back for the original if ur not happy with it.

as for fuel consumption - i noticed a MASSIVE drop in fuel consumption initially - BUT that was with running it on standard unleaded. I swopped for super and its almost back to where it was before. On the topic of fuel consumption I would say this - with a gunner chip - drive sensibly and you'll get good mileage. But when you boot it expect your fuel to drop suddenly. With my gunner chip so far its tended to be great or poor - very much depending on how you drive it.

My std chip tended to drive with relatively similar mileage, regardless seemingly of whether I was really booting it or not. Just my opinion on the matter, from experience with my own car.

Id say try the gunner chip with a chip carrier - if ur not happy, just swop back to std - gunner makes those too.

AndyFielder
10-03-2008, 11:00
I can solder the carrier in for you mate... if its a phase 1 ECU and i also have a gunner chip i want rid of too!

alex_e3
10-03-2008, 18:43
Cheers for the replies guys.

Still not sure on whether to do it or not, as the price of super is quite a bit more - so it will cost me more to run it.

Andy mate - it's a willy ecu, & need to get it done straight away if i decide to do it, hence need somewhere round here really. Ta for the offer though! Might have that chip off you though if it's for a willy?

Cheers,

Al

AndyFielder
10-03-2008, 19:40
yeah it is mate.

i can prolly turn it around in a week... up to you tho!

drsmith1979
10-03-2008, 19:44
consistently running it on super will get you better mileage than you currently are running.... obviously this is subject to variables such as temperature, how you drive, quality of fuel etc...

I ran mine on V-power every other tank, the fill ups inbetween were with Tesco 100 ron, so the price is slightly lowered without any detrimental affects of so called 'supermarket' fuel etc....

its a performance car, it needs performance fuel, you wouldn't feed Carl Lewis burgers and lard butties.... :lol: