PDA

View Full Version : Steering vibration wobble at speed

Evogone
08-03-2008, 01:21
Its a cup car with manual rack.

When going over 40 mph and i let go of the wheel it wobbles about. When i grip the wheel its fine and can not really feel a vibration through the wheel its self. Feel as if the steering column is not fixed properly. Should the colume be really rigid wheel you grip the wheel and i can move it a bit.

Steering feel OK but not great.

Any ideas

eternalife
08-03-2008, 01:25
Does the steering have play in it?

Joint on the steering column has a rubber bush which are renowned for wearing - most get this welded up.

There are a number of things it can be - but the one above is probably the most common.

Evogone
08-03-2008, 01:39
Not noticable play although the steering is not as sharp as i though it would be. Feels like the colume isnt very rigid.

eternalife
08-03-2008, 01:44
Check to see if the bolts holding the top of column are tight - need to take of the underside plastics of the steering wheel.
Pull rubber boot at bast of column look at the joint with rubber bush and inspect for play. Also check pinch bolt connecting the column to the rac if this is done tight.

I would check all the above first and post to rule them out.

Evogone
08-03-2008, 01:48
Will do after when i get some time with the car next week.

Thanks

BristolSam16v
08-03-2008, 03:13
Confirm the 4 bolts holding the upper steering colum are tight.

More than likely you are developing slight play in the universal joint where the column meets the rack, as mentioned above this is a very common problem, best solution is taking the column out (30 minutes if you know that you're doing) and getting the joint welded up, will definately give the best response on track.

MatBrown
08-03-2008, 09:51
I doubt very much the cup racer column has the UJ bush that usually wears, check the bolts are tight and have you had the geometry checked? wheels balanced?

Mat.

Lunner
08-03-2008, 13:35

Joint on the steering column has a rubber bush which are renowned for wearing - most get this welded up.

There are a number of things it can be - but the one above is probably the most common.

There is no rubber movement joint on the manual column

richy
08-03-2008, 13:51
first thing id check is if the wheels are balanced or if the tyres are mishaped, worked on many cars which have had a vibration/steering wobble down to poor balancing or mishaped tyres.

BristolSam16v
08-03-2008, 14:39
Oops didn't realise it was a manual rack.

eternalife
08-03-2008, 15:18

There is no rubber movement joint on the manual column

Duly noted.

Evogone
17-03-2008, 13:27
Just got back from skiing and had a look over the weekend.

The issue is the chassis box section that the column bracket attaches too. This has cracked and snapped on one side so hences the ability to move the column and the wobble on the move.

Dont know if it will need welding or a strenthening bracket made up. Dont know if anyone has seen this before ?