PDA

View Full Version : re-using old oil

Wobba
07-03-2008, 12:28
Before my HG blew I gave it a service including oil and filter. I have another filter and new oil, and the old HG faliure oil and the old oil before that.

I think there is still mayo in the engine, and the filter thats on now probably has a load in too.

Is it worth me using the old old oil to sort of flush the system a bit before I redo the filter and oil later on after it's all fixed and run in a bit, or could I just use it to flush it through in a day or so without running the car, then do the new stuff and filter?

Would that be safe?

summeh
07-03-2008, 13:00
I would never put old oil back in an enegine. You can get 4litres of really cheap tesco oil 10w40 for 4quid! Put this in to flush it instead.

In any case any mayo left in the engine will soon evaporate when you start her up.

BRUN
07-03-2008, 13:40
me either, could never put old oil back in

do you have a Renault dealers local mate ?.........if so ask them to sell you some 10W-40 Motrio oil they have, its very cheap and up to the latest specs etc

Robb
07-03-2008, 14:37
I'd just get some cheapo oil to be honest and run that for say a week or two just to give it a clean out then change the oil and filter

Wobba
07-03-2008, 14:41
okay :)

number1
08-03-2008, 23:33
on k-series motors i take no chances, i usually leave the gunked oil in there, run it until hot, then drain it out, drop the oil out, do hg and then fresh oil and filter, road test and then another oil change, expensive way of doing it but it makes sure the customers didnt come back with hgf two weeks later

richy
09-03-2008, 00:04
me either, could never put old oil back in

do you have a Renault dealers local mate ?.........if so ask them to sell you some 10W-40 Motrio oil they have, its very cheap and up to the latest specs etc

get in! motrio chip fat lol thats what we call it at work!

BRUN
09-03-2008, 00:12
lol, most people give it stick cos its cheap, but it is decent stuff, its the same spec as most of the normal synthetic oils you buy, like Comma, Carlube, Duckhams etc