PDA

View Full Version : Crank end cap seal/rear main area

Brealbags
06-03-2008, 21:20
I should have taken a picture really but i havnt so im gonna have to spell it out.
Tha nos the crankshaft end cap (flywheel side) which houses the rear main seal? mine is leaking ive not put the engine back in the car yet after the rebuild and noticed it is not a very good seal. does any1 know a good way of doing this. I had used a silicone sealer mixed with hardener i got from renault.
It says in the haynes to inject it in through the grooves but this doesnt work so i just spread it on as normal and hoped for the best.
Im used to working on Porsches ive neva had to bother with this kinda shit.
if any1 nos wot im on about let us no
ta

MAXIBOY
06-03-2008, 22:45
hi mate i always get after market seals and fit these with a good dose of rtv
sealant. never had a problem...

Brealbags
06-03-2008, 22:55
sounds good tell me more about these seals. wot do they look like/how do they fit/where from?
thanks

MAXIBOY
06-03-2008, 22:57
there little rubber or felt type strips about 5/6mm square and come in most after market gasket sets. payne for sure as i have just used them. they slide in down the main cap and you then trim them flush...easy as...

Lunner
08-03-2008, 13:36
I used RTV gasket, just squeezed it down the groves as stated, no probs, done it a few times now lol

Brealbags
10-03-2008, 18:49
ok cheers ive dun it now with the silicone and hardener. i coated the surfaces with the silicone stuff first then injected it with the hardener. looks ok and tested it with the airline down through the oil breathers doesnt seem to be leaking. :D