PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox and Clutch info needed....

_PAUL_
06-03-2008, 03:44
Right lads im lookin at buying a 1.8 16v clio that ive found.

The engine has done 100,000 miles and i assume it will need a new gearbox soon:
How many miles do the gearbox's last for ?
How much is a new gearbox(New and 2nd Hand) ?

They clutch will also need doing in the next six months:
How much is a new clutch ?
Should i go for a standard clutch or an aftermarket one ?
Can anyone give me some links to some ?

Thanks lads :)

PS.If the owner is one here dont worry i just wanted to find out some info :wink:

Daz.
06-03-2008, 07:41
Why do you think it needs a new box and clutch in 6 months?

If theres nothing wrong with them now then just be glad :D

BRUN
06-03-2008, 07:49
book time to replace a box is 9.8 hours

cost of a refurb renault box is about £600/£650

cost of a renault clutch kit is about £90/£100

white16valver
06-03-2008, 09:38
My box is still going strong on almost 140k :)

*touches wood* lol

Chris H
06-03-2008, 10:16
I have seen several go well over 200k and I have even run a valver box on asda engine oil for 20k before the change went funny and finally chucked in box oil and it was fine again. :lol:

_PAUL_
06-03-2008, 11:49
Well the person im buying it off said "its done 100,000 miles so you never know when the box could go" so i just wanted a rough idea of a price for when it does go.
Do you think the will box will last a few more miles then ?

He also said "clutch will need doing in the next 6 months but depending how you drive it may last a year" so just wanted a rough idea of how much a clutch would cost.

Cheers for the replies lads :)

Chris H
06-03-2008, 11:59
is the clutch slipping or just heavy?

The box should last just change the oil in it as its probably still on its original oil

Smudger
06-03-2008, 14:06
well from what i know from mine the clutches and gearboxes last for ages

i have lots of reciepts and service history with my car but no where is there a reciept for a clutch :? and apart from the release bearing getting noisy it doesnt slip one bit

oh and the box is spot on and tight if a lil too tight first thing but thats prob because it could do with some new fluid

btw my car has done 108,000 miles

_PAUL_
06-03-2008, 16:49
Cheers for the replies lads seems like i will have a few more thousand miles out if it before anything needs changing then :)
Smudger just noticed you live in Southend....i live in Rayleigh

Daz.
06-03-2008, 19:35
Well the person im buying it off said "its done 100,000 miles so you never know when the box could go" so i just wanted a rough idea of a price for when it does go.

He also said "clutch will need doing in the next 6 months but depending how you drive it may last a year" so just wanted a rough idea of how much a clutch would cost.

That sounds like the typical remarks of a seller who knows nothing about his car.

MatBrown
06-03-2008, 19:41

That sounds like the typical remarks of a seller who knows nothing about his car.

Or someone who knows his box is knackered but will last long enough to get you off his drive!

Mat.

_PAUL_
06-03-2008, 19:55
Well he already has a valver which he was doing some engine work on so bought this as a run about while his other car was off the road.
He has now finished his other car so this is up for sale.
He has been using this car daily and still is at the moment(lives local to me and ive seen it out)

Smudger
06-03-2008, 23:34
Cheers for the replies lads seems like i will have a few more thousand miles out if it before anything needs changing then :)
Smudger just noticed you live in Southend....i live in Rayleigh

yes mate i live in wakering so not far at all from yourself

what colour valver you got

eternalife
07-03-2008, 00:53

Or someone who knows his box is knackered but will last long enough to get you off his drive!

Mat.

LMAO :lol: