PDA

View Full Version : Servicing - What gets done?

Rudders16v
14-06-2005, 09:28
Car will be due its 108k service in the next couple of weeks, but im having trouble finding out EXACTLY what gets done as my local Renault dealer is quite useless!

I know the majority of it will be the normal things, but wondered if anyone has an exact list of everything that gets done for a 36k service?
Then i can start getting uprated bits to use, and all will be well!

Thanks

KingStromba
14-06-2005, 09:55
Ill check what was done tonight on my service history

big hp
14-06-2005, 10:11
I'll look tonight. I've got Renaults servicing schedules etc.

Rudders16v
14-06-2005, 10:18
Cheers guys

I want to get everything done as i'd like to look after the car and keep the history up, just not going to pay the £290 renault want when i can probably spend the same money on uprated/performance parts

scotte666
14-06-2005, 16:37
id also like 2 know whats done on a 66k mile service if any1 knows.just the basic 6k mile one im thinking.and the cam belts been done b4 any1 asks

Mark_Ritchspeed
14-06-2005, 18:38
The 36k service is a big one. 3.3hrs labour to start, plus all the parts, fluid needed.

The things that should be changed automatically as part of a 36k service are:

Oil/filter (obviously)
Brake fluid
Air filter
Fuel filter
Spark plugs

Obviously by this age though some things will have been changed recently like plugs brake fluid etc and may be out of synch with the rest of the service items so wont need changing.

Cam-belt may be due if its not been changed for 5 years or 50k. Although recommended interval is 72k, I dont think anyone leaves them in that long. We certainly never do. This would be on top of the normal service items if needed.

Unless you really want to keep full Renault history go to a good independent who in all likelyhood will probably do a better job anyway and be much cheaper.

Expect to pay something like £150-170 from an independent.

Enid
14-06-2005, 19:05
Do they replace the distrubator cap in a major service too, i'm sure they did on mine.

Mark_Ritchspeed
14-06-2005, 19:17
If its showing signs of wear/deterioration then yes. If it all looks in good condition then it'll be left alone. Has to be removed to be checked though.

Swervin_Mervin
14-06-2005, 19:26
Mine's gradually had what I'd consider to be a major service which is:

Oil/Filter
Air filter
Fuel Filter
Dizzy cap
Rotor arm
New plugs
Coolant renewal
G'box oil
New discs/pads
Tracking

Next up is a brake fluid change.

Also check everything over like rubber gaitors, brake lines, fuel lines, exhaust, coolant system, HT leads and lubricate any bits like hinges.

scotte666
14-06-2005, 20:50
any1 know what should be done in a basic 6k mile service.im gunna be on 66k very soon

Mark_Ritchspeed
14-06-2005, 20:54
Pretty much just oil/filter with a check over for everything else.

Around 1-1.5hrs labour tops.

scotte666
14-06-2005, 20:56
so how much should i be paying paid bout 185 for a 60k mile service they changed plugs. no air filter as induction kit and wahtever else they would usually do.think the place i go is expensive though ....

Allan
15-06-2005, 04:14
do it yourself it doesnt take too long and its pritty easy ;)

basilcy get a haynes manual and read it :)

or find someone who knows what they are doing and watch how they do it, will save you money in the long run

(8mm key iirc) oil change, just undo the sump plug, drain it, get like a sink bowl or somthing and just put it under the sump, you can put the old oil into the containers which has the new oil in when you are done. once its drained take off the cap let it drain some more and then get a filter removed / chain on the oil filter and take it off put sump plug back in,
It can be a little tricky to get the oil filter, but i found it best to go from under the car and use a chain and reatchet to tighten it up, go between the radiator and the front of the enigne. Once its off get the new oil filter and put oil around the seal, else its not comming off next time ;) then hand tighten it back on, fill it back up with about 6L of oil

thats your oil change done

Plugs, you will need to gap the new ones, not hard with a feeler gague basilcy check the air gap on them, get a plug spanner and undo the current plugs, then replace with new ones, if you can unscew a light bulb you can manage a spark plug. it does say use a torque wrench on them but i just tightened them till they were secrue then gave them another 1/2 a turn on the plug spanner, all seems fine

HT leads, just change em one at a time and you will be fine, its no harder then plugging them in as they just pull off, and just start with the longest or shortest one and change em one at a time! dont pull em all off else you wont know which one goes where, and the car will be miss firing all over the place lol
Hd leads done

The Dizzy, iirc, it was 2 scews on the outer cover, and then the cap comes off to expose the rotor arm, then that can just be pulled off and changed and then or maybe it had a scew in the middle, havent done it on my new valver yet, but it was quite easy on my 1.2

air filter like a 5 min job, just the bottom clip which is abastard lol, and i bent mine oopz

undo the clips and the 3 screws on the box, then pull off the front, replace filter and refit
thats your air filter done

Havent done the gear box oil yet, but i have the oil here and plan on doing it at some point so will let u know on that when i get around to it

Fuel filter, i have one in the shed and need to do it, just havent got around to it yet :), looks pritty easy just a case of undoing 2 clips on the fuel line and one which holds the filter on (more info when i get around to doing it)

Brake fluid, not done this either, but i have some new stainless steel hoses to fit when i get around to that aswell :), but from talking to people its not s hard job to do.
Whats the best fluid to use anyone??? Dot4? i.e for normal road use i dont really do too much racing about

but pritty much the service items are piss easy if you just have a weekend of spend learning how to do it ;)

scotte666
15-06-2005, 16:16
i can do it myself mate but i got a full history and wanna keep it that way.

Swervin_Mervin
15-06-2005, 16:23
Not much to be had by having a history on these mate. If you keep the receipts for the gear and note on them the mileage it was done at I'd be more than happy if I was buying off someone.