PDA

View Full Version : FAO PC/Wireless Network Gurus

u33db
02-03-2008, 20:45
I'm wanting to build a HTPC for under the telly so i can play films accross my network from a server in the loft...thats no problem but i have a question about the wireless bandwidth i'll need;

Given that the HTPC will effectively be opening a DVD ISO accross the network would 108MBPS (i.e super G) be enough to cope with this?

It almost works on my current 54MBPS setup but is still 'jerky' and what with wireless N still not finialised i don't want to shell out on the pre-N stuff if i can help it as that may not be future proof...

Opinions?

BTW i'm currently ISO'ing my DVDs...got 320 left to do so am gonna be here a while :(

1fast6
04-03-2008, 11:16
The pre ratification N standard equipment is no worse than the 'super g' anyway as they both use MIMO to achieve a higher potential bandwidth. The G stuff is actually worse because 802.11g never mentions MIMO. The draft-n stuff is a far better choice.

Also don't rely on the quoted figures as you will most likely never get that. Knock off at least 15% for overhead.

If you are just using SOHO consumer equipment, you're best bet would be to invest in a draft-n access point from linksys or netgear and then a usb draft-n adapter from again the same companies. Buy in pairs though. If you go Linksys, buy both products from them.

Then knock 15% off your 300Mbps potential and arrive at 255Mbps or ~127 Mbps half-duplex which is more than enough to stream dvd ISO's.

cliokiz
05-03-2008, 07:59
Have you thought about running the network through your power sockets? Might save you a lot of hassle if you don't have the option to run a network cable.

http://www.more-solutions.co.uk/shop/homeplug.html

Just an idea :wink: