PDA

View Full Version : F*****G Widetrack!!

number1
01-03-2008, 22:45
yes it may handle great, but i have lost count how many times ive had it apart, could of widetracked it ten times over tbh i had a knocking so have been trying to remedy it, first of all i managed to stop the anti roll bar fouling the subframe bolt, by fitting a smaller bolt and making the arb slightly shorter on one side on which it appeared to long anyway, this did get rid of a slight knock but still had the knocking from the 19 16v drivers shaft, i moved the engine over as far as possible but still no joy still knocked, raised the car up to standard ride height and it was much better, but still had a knock there going around left hand bends, Sourced a drivers side driveshaft from laine and got it rebuilt using good valver joints, i put this on and it was perfect around left hand bends, no knocks at all, however going around right hand bends hard, and i mean hard more often with a passenger in the car it knocks from the passenger shaft, (Brand new) i moved the engine back over to as central as it would go and its still there, it only does it when you really load up that sides suspension, and more when a passenger is sat in the seat, feels like the shaft is going tight up to the diff.... but i could be wrong, has anyone else had this problem?? Can a worn mount possibly cause it? Dont think i'll make the airfield day at this rate :(

Dave

Justin..
01-03-2008, 23:30
blimey i've not had a single fault with my widetrack at all.

Danny-ACE!
01-03-2008, 23:33
blimey i've not had a single fault with my widetrack at all.

Do you run a renault 19 mount?

Justin..
01-03-2008, 23:34
front gearbox to subframe mount yes

number1
01-03-2008, 23:52
ive got a 19 front mount too, im wondering if the wishbone is flexing in on the bushes just enough for it to knock,

So far ive used..

19 16v wishbones
19 16v arb with powerflex bushes
19 16 Passenger driveshaft
williams drivers shaft,
williams shocks and springs....

Justin..
01-03-2008, 23:56
ive got a 19 front mount too, im wondering if the wishbone is flexing in on the bushes just enough for it to knock,

So far ive used..

19 16v wishbones
19 16v arb with powerflex bushes
19 16 Passenger driveshaft
williams drivers shaft,
williams shocks and springs....

same as me but i used standard arb rubbers & Gaz coilovers

number1
02-03-2008, 00:01
Maybe i just push too hard into bends or i need to make the car lighter to reduce the effect on the suspension lol

Argh! im stressed! feeling like breaking the sodding car at the moment!

Wobba
02-03-2008, 10:41
Put the radio on really loud, it seems to be a cureall for noises!

number1
02-03-2008, 13:14
Well ive been out this morning, given the wishbone to subframe bolts a good hiding with the breaker bar, managed to get over a turn on each one so maybe they have to be uber tight!

Wobba a Funny story for you, one of my uncles friends sells really tidy cars for a living, He Sold a woman a volvo t5 estate and she was driving along the oil light came on after a few more miles it started knocking really loud, so she turned the stereo up!! destroyed the engine, unfortunatley she told the aa patrolman what she had done, Warranty void!!!

Laine_16v
02-03-2008, 15:26
Not that this helps you in the slightest but i regularly exercise the widetracks capabilitys and never get any sort of knock? Its lowered 35mm too.

number1
02-03-2008, 19:36
Mine didnt want to know with the 35mm springs, kept catching the arches on enthusiastic cornering, might try some 20mm springs when i find some, also i took the bump stops off the dampers as there was only one on there, surely this couldnt be the problem??

Dave

Lunner
02-03-2008, 19:37
The bump stops on the dampers, on stock items double as a cover to keep all the shit away from the piston seal

number1
02-03-2008, 19:43
i took the one i had off, will get some more when i can just wondered if it would be possible to bottom out dampers with standard springs, they dont seem to be gone soft, nice and firm ride, its faultless apart from when you load up the nsf wheel really hard

Dave

number1
04-03-2008, 00:27
BUMP anyone?

thelynx
04-03-2008, 01:52
Get rid of it. Go back to normal track.

number1
04-03-2008, 18:15
Bit late for that now mate, ive dumped all the old knackered wishbones arb and sold the dampers, Im going to figure it out one way or the other,
My Guessing is on the passenger side driveshaft being too long theres about 10mm play before it stops up against the diff, and obviously as you go over bumps etc the driveshaft wants to travel upwards but it cant as its not got enough room, its going to hit the diff

Does anyone know if the 19 16v shaft is the exact same as the willy one or is the williams shaft different again?

Dave