PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to help me do my HG?

Swervin_Mervin
01-03-2008, 01:32
Been reading up on Wobba's posts. Done a fair bit on cars before but this seems daunting.

But faced with a £700+ bill or knocking that off the price of the car, the more I think about it the more I'm tempted to have a go.

Coops
01-03-2008, 01:35
easy peasy mate, if you got the patience of a saint and fingers of a schoolgirl :lol:

i would do but am so busy atm i really cant offer a hand

stan
01-03-2008, 08:51
hmmmmmm my two favorite words....finger and schoolgirl :shock:

Have a bash mate, you'll get plenty of advice on here...

Wobba
01-03-2008, 11:08
If you want to have a go you need to make sure you are prepared for the work. Do you have:
a. The time
b. Patience.
c. Perseverence.
d. Tools, or money for...
e Space (though I am doing mine in the street)

If I can do it, anyone can!

I am not out of the woods yet though. The bloke who charged me a small fortune for head refurb has not given me my manifold back and several other pieces which means I am unable to carry out any more work over the weekend I put aside to do it :(

You could just buy an other engine, but if you do that you may as well do the cambelt, gaskets/seals and water pump anyway!

Swervin_Mervin
01-03-2008, 14:22
I think the time issue could be the crux. Got a enough tools to stock machine mart. (i've owned valvers for 4yrs now.) :lol:

Space could be a problem. It's have to be done in the car park and I think having 2 dead clios and 2 road cars might really piss teh neighbours off, especially now they're trying to sell.

Hmm, really don't know what to do. What should I be looking at paying for someone else to do it? Quote so far have been about the £700+ mark. :shock:

MAXIBOY
01-03-2008, 14:39
pm stan mate. would be the best price

Swervin_Mervin
01-03-2008, 14:42
Yeah, was going to actually. But Stan's about 3,000,000 miles away in the depths of Wales. :lol:

Just had teh brainwave of phoning Nick Hill and he's made me a much happier man. 8)

Wobba
01-03-2008, 19:39
Well, the £700 quote was the best I had. Most were from £800 to £1000 and some wouldnt even do it!

Swervin_Mervin
01-03-2008, 19:44
Yeah I had that same response mate. :lol:

Nick Hill's given a far more reasonable price though. 8)

Chris H
03-03-2008, 11:06
its not that hard. If its just a leaky gasket and you think the heads gonna be ok you can do it within a day easy, if its needing skimmed then yeah it'll be a bit more time.

Could do the old bus stop hg change, drain coolant, unbolt head get pal to lift it up, pull old gasket out the gap slip new one in and bolt it back down.

summeh
03-03-2008, 18:42
Could do the old bus stop hg change, drain coolant, unbolt head get pal to lift it up, pull old gasket out the gap slip new one in and bolt it back down.

lol that's a quality "time saving" bodge. :wink:

Laine_16v
03-03-2008, 18:44
How much did nick hill quote out of interest?

matty w
03-03-2008, 19:03
surely its not worth risking doing the headgasket without having head skimmed,everyone i've done the has warped i bit

Coops
04-03-2008, 00:05
not sure on valver as always skimmed it but everything else i've ever done, my runabouts etc never bothered, bus stop challenge as chris says is fine

Chris H
06-03-2008, 10:23
where i work I have even done buses hg's in the bus stop! :lol:

tbh I check the head face after I have cleaned it thoroughly to see if it needs a skim. TBH most of the time they don't unless its had an overheating issue or someone took the bolts out wrong or tightened it wrong