PDA

View Full Version : Putting head back on.

Wobba
29-02-2008, 15:23
Ok, tomorrow I will be at a stage where I need to put the head back on. The cams and pulleys will be out of synch with the crank/pistons etc at first.

Things I need to know are:

Can you move each cam pulley seperately? Mine seem reluctant to move anyway I try to turn em. Also, can the cams be put on out of synch with the pulleys or is that not possible?

The basic idea is you match the crank pulley bolt marking with the one on the housing, and same again for the cam pulleys and fit the cambelt right? Then obviously tighten up the cambelt tensioner pulley...

With the crank pulley at its set mark, I have the 1 and 4 pistons at the top of their cycle, and it looks like 2 &3 are way down in their bores. Is that right prior to refitting the head ye?

Cheers!

MicKPM
29-02-2008, 16:40
STOP!!

Hammer Time! :D

Don't panick as timing the engine comes after the cams are fitted and it's childs play to do. The only thing you NEED to remember is which cam is the exhaust and which is the inlet. But how do you tell you might ask? Well, the exhaust has a notch in it to drive the distributor, the inlet does not ;) Just fit the cams anyhow (However if you can try to get the keymarks to point towards 12 O'Clock) and partially tighten down the carriers.

I personally Tighten the 10mm central bolts up first a few threads at a time working from the central one out and don't go OTT with the first one as you can strip the threads in the head! Get them all to bite a few extra threads first before going fully home then work around the rest of the TX bolts in a circular motion.

Next, if you're fitting them install the new cam seals before fully torqing up the carriers. Now fit the cam pulleys to the cams... they'll only go on one way and both pulleys are the same so don't worry about mixing them up. Insert a cam locking tool then apply a little locking compund to the bolts then tighten these to the specified torque reading.

Then its time to fit the timing belt!

Wobba
29-02-2008, 18:08
STOP!!

Hammer Time! :D

lol :D

Okay, the pulleys are on and the cams in, with the dizzy bit on the right end/side :D

I've got the cam seals etc fitted and put the valve carriers on, with some nice special sealant greasy stuff between em. All looks good!

I've managed to get the timing belt marks on the pulleys aiming at 12 o'clock too!

I've got the crank at 6 o'clock with the marks on that too. Not put the head and block together yet though, will do it all tomorrow as long as I dont get too drunk this evening!