PDA

View Full Version : Coolant

Wobba
27-02-2008, 13:04
I will be putting my engione back together soon, and intend on making sure the coolant system gets a major couple of flushes, as it was badly gunked up. At first I will just use cheap stuff for initial week or so, then go for the good stuff.

I may have ordered the wrong stuff from GSF, as it is blue and I thought it should be green. Dont have the details at hand but isn't the blue stuff inferior? It says it is for mixed metal engines eg aluminium, but I am not sure...

Where can I get the green stuff from cheaply? Anyone got the GSF code?

white16valver
27-02-2008, 13:11
I think it's Type D you want.

Have a search on coolant, there's been a long post about it that I found the other day! :)

eternalife
27-02-2008, 13:54
Circa £20 from GSF for two bottles of Renault Boutique Type D (Black Bottle).
I got some last weekend - will post up the GSF code when I am home from work later.

Wobba
27-02-2008, 13:59
Circa £20 from GSF for two bottles of Renault Boutique Type D (Black Bottle).
I got some last weekend - will post up the GSF code when I am home from work later.
yay thanks!

BRUN
27-02-2008, 15:08
the blue will be fine mate until you put the type d in

Wobba
27-02-2008, 15:17
the blue will be fine mate until you put the type d in

Great! At least it's not wasted. I might put a cleaning additive in it at first as there is a lot of crap in the block itself still that I cant get too, chunks of the stuff :(

AndyFielder
27-02-2008, 16:00
i use halfrauds blue all the time on my car
whats the issue?

arj256
27-02-2008, 17:58
Have you got the white bottle which you mix yourself?
I have that stuff in the 19 and its fine.

Dont waste your money putting in decent coolant till you know its going to stay clear for a good time.

When i had my 16v, Renault said that the mix yourself coolant which they called type c was blue.
This was for the older Renaults and the type d for the newer.
So the blue will be fine.

Wobba
27-02-2008, 18:03
Have you got the white bottle which you mix yourself?
I have that stuff in the 19 and its fine.

Dont waste your money putting in decent coolant till you know its going to stay clear for a good time.

When i had my 16v, Renault said that the mix yourself coolant which they called type c was blue.
This was for the older Renaults and the type d for the newer.
So the blue will be fine.

Cheers Adam. I will try not to waste money with more expensive coolant until I am SURE everything is fine., and yes, it is the GSF stuff in the white plastic container.

It was a combination of a badly maintained cooling system and an old gasket/crap in the headbolts which caused the problem with the car in the first place so I will be keeping a close eye on the coolant until I am satisfied :)

I've cleaned out the headbolt sockets in the block now...by christ, there was a LOT of gunk in there which couldn't have been healthy!

Can't wait to get back on the road!

drsmith1979
27-02-2008, 21:33
well nice to see you being positive and upbeat Wobba....

in the words of a famous comedian:

...'Back of the Net'...

8)

Daz.
28-02-2008, 08:28
Coolants coolants coolant :D

I use the pink halfords stuff because I'm a big tart :wink:

titcharoony
28-02-2008, 11:23
i agree, coolant IS coolant. Being a purist though, which colour coolant was in the williams in the beginning tho...blue?

Laine_16v
28-02-2008, 17:01
Green Type D!

titcharoony
28-02-2008, 18:58
now boys and boys....are u sure...