PDA

View Full Version : 16v vs RT Performance - Slap me if you need to...

u33db
26-02-2008, 14:20
As some of you know i'm sorting out a 16v lump to stick in my RT but after consulting performance figures i'm wondering whether its actually going to be worth it.

A 16v will of course have more power but is there really going to be a world of difference between a relatively std 16v engine and a well setup rt lump?

0-60 wise, the 16v comes in at about 7.5/8 and an RT at a shade over 9...doesn't seem a massive amount TBH...

Guess what i'm asking is should i really bother putting the 16v in my RT (see projects)...are my found memories of my 16v just rose tinted?

Discuss!

white16valver
26-02-2008, 14:33
I was looking for the slapping icon but this one will have to do instead

:flag:

lol ;)

Get the bigger engine in, you tart :P

bigger engine = more torque = beefier mid range and faster top end 8)

Plus, having gone to the trouble of putting a new engine in, 3 months in you'll be used to it and wishing you had put the bigger lump in in the first place! :lol:

u33db
26-02-2008, 14:46
lol!

You're probably right.

Just swaying a bit...got lots to pay for over the next month so thinking about maybe flogging the 16v bits to cover costs and just sticking with the 1.4. Plus i'm needing to start modifying my motorbike so interests are conflicting...

Daz.
26-02-2008, 15:07
Are you stripping the RT fella?

Mods for the 1.4?

Performance will have been dented a tad already with the bigger steelies fella so I guess theres a slightly bigger gap in the figures than that..

I know what you mean on paper but if you think of cross country pace I think the valver would pull its pants down - I used to drive the same B road first in my mums RT then in my valver and it was effortlessly easier - it was a decent road to test really because of the fluid corners one minute and the tight left/right handers you have to knock down a gear or two for..

If anything the first time I drove it in the willy I wasn't impressed at all and was wondering if I had bought a dud but then I learnt that you could carry greater speed into the corners and the pull from the slower corners was far superior..

It was a great road for a valver I guess but the willy pulled its pants down in the end - I dread to think of doing it in an RT again!

So Daz's bottom line is if you can still afford to do it then throw the bugger in :D

Wobba
26-02-2008, 15:10
Dude...sounds like you may need a break from oily engines.

Step away from the vehicle and take a deep breath....

The RT, friendly and cheerful as it is, is not a patch on the 16v engine, or handling!

:gears:

Smudger
26-02-2008, 15:19
dont be a wuss and put a F7R in it

i had a mess around with an RT round my way the other week and its no where near in the same league as an F7R engine

u33db
26-02-2008, 15:22
I know what you mean about cross country pace...when my old 16v got wide tracked it was a massive difference.

If i don't put the 16v in the RT it will be stripped, decatted, PAS removed, coilovers likely fitted and that'd be it..easy stuff, no hassle and pure fun. Putting the 16v in is less fun but ultimately a quicker car.

Guess i do need to have a think...my days of needing absolute power are over as i've got the bike for that. Also after 9 renos the prospect of serious work on another one is a bit testing... :?

Daz.
26-02-2008, 15:25
Wide track the RT and strip it :D

And get one of those plug in superchargers that offer lots of bhp for little £££

I want someone to have a go :lol:

u33db
26-02-2008, 15:25
And get one of those plug in superchargers that offer lots of bhp for little £££

I want someone to have a go :lol:

PSML! :)

Wobba
26-02-2008, 17:54
Having read your project thread, it would be a shame to quit now after the trouble you have gone too.

Rich
26-02-2008, 18:33
too true, and you have put a conversion like this on the back burner before iirc! stick with this one pal, you will be glad of it when its done :)

BRUN
27-02-2008, 20:04
the jump is massive mate, from driving an RT before, then a GTT, then a 16v, the valver is the best of the lot, once you hit any kind of speed, like 60+ the valver keeps going whereas the 1.4 drops off rapidly

and your old car is still being cared for mate :) recently had a full service

titcharoony
27-02-2008, 20:09
but the gtt is massive fun to drive... :)

u33db
27-02-2008, 20:13
the jump is massive mate, from driving an RT before, then a GTT, then a 16v, the valver is the best of the lot, once you hit any kind of speed, like 60+ the valver keeps going whereas the 1.4 drops off rapidly

and your old car is still being cared for mate :) recently had a full service

Aye, saw your thread with the willy wheels - looks very nice! 8)

BristolSam16v
28-02-2008, 00:03
Went from an RT to a 16v also, 16v is so so so so so much better.

But tbh you may as well just buy a 16v :P

schakal
28-02-2008, 01:09
rt vs 16v :lol:

Andyvalver
28-02-2008, 13:04
Wtf :lol: