PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the tip on satin black

Scougar
26-02-2008, 10:26
Hi chaps,

Think it may have been Stan a while back, but just to say thanks for the tip of:

1) Cleaning off plastic parts with hot soapy water
2) Drying off throughly (hairdryer helps or airing cupboard overnight)
3) Spray up slowing in Satin black paint in multi-coats
4) Wait to dry, and refit :)

Came out really nice. Thought I would have to sand them back, but no problems what-so-ever. Now have lovely black grill, headlight liners, scuttle panel and bonnet vent. I will probably do the lower boot trim as well as someone has previously done that but it wasn't a very good job by the look of it.

Thanks for the info chaps really smartened the car up :)

Matthew

stan
26-02-2008, 11:24
:D

Wobba
26-02-2008, 12:46
I've done the same mate, really gives the car a new lease of life! I used matt black on mine but same thing :)

Scougar
26-02-2008, 13:44
Was the only visual bad bit about my car really (until I washed it and found a stone chip :( ) so I was happy to do it :)

Have left the grill lugs out in case I change the front lights on thursday. (Meeting a stock car driver who is buying my mk3 golf, and apparently he has two clios, so i may be able to get better lights (bit dubious about the hydraulic adjustment bits though)).

Anyway.. car looks so much better now, will give it a second clean tomorrow and use some paint cleaner on it :) (not the black, the blue!)

Matthew

Daz.
26-02-2008, 14:11
PICS!

white16valver
26-02-2008, 14:17
Is it worth doing this to the bumpstrips? :)

Scougar
26-02-2008, 14:24
You could get away with it on the bumpstrips, but I don't think it would stay on very well due to the nature of matrial used for the bumpstrips (on a ph1). If the plastic ph2 style then more than likely :) Ifyou do it right, it almost looks like plastic anyway :)

I will get pics up tonight Daz.

Matthew

white16valver
26-02-2008, 14:27
Cool :)

Scougar
26-02-2008, 14:31
Make sure you wash the parts throughly though, and use soap to degrease NOT car wash as this often contains wax of some description,and don't touch the parts after you've washed them (handle with gloves/lint free gloves or pick up on section that won't be shown).

Matthew

white16valver
26-02-2008, 14:35
Could you use something like white spirit to strip all the crap off and get back to the plastic?

Scougar
26-02-2008, 15:22
You've lost me a bit? What crap? You could use white sprit, but do you mean on the bump strips? They have a very smooth finish so not sure what your asking to clean off?

Matthew

white16valver
26-02-2008, 15:42
grease, ingrained dirt, back-to-black etc :)

Just thought white spirit would make sure all that kind of stuff was cleaned off so you were definitely spraying straight onto the plastic! :)

Scougar
26-02-2008, 16:02
Just give them a good scrubbing at they should come up good enough to spray. Back to black comes of very quickly anyway, so washing with hot water (make sure it is hot and not warm) and soap will get rid of it. Not sure about ingrained dirt. I would think if it is that ingrained, as long as it is free of grease it will be ok to spray over anyway.

Basically, I am not a spray master with this stuff, as I have only ever worked with 'clean panels' in PPG's paint lab previous to this with proper paints.

This is the first time I've ever sprayed plastic and it actually came up really well after the initial info I gave, thanks to Stan (I think) :

I did note the plastic trims on my wife clio RT would be suitable for spraying easily though, so if that's the type you have then just wash the car (in ordinary car cleaner), than very carefully wash the plastic with soap and hot water, dry out... mask up CAREFULLY, and take your time. Remember preperation is important. Spraying depends more on prep than application a lot of the time.

Maybe one of the other guys can help you more.

Matthew

Scougar
26-02-2008, 16:03
Oh, forgot to say.. I don't know how White Spirit affects plastic so advice there would be appreciated for White16Valver.

Matthew

white16valver
26-02-2008, 17:06
Thank you for the advice! :)

bradus
26-02-2008, 17:18
done the same on my last valver

works a goodun

yet to do it to my new one as havent got the time

stan
26-02-2008, 19:07
dont use white spirit...its oil based.

used brake cleaner/thinners/panel wipe.

Wobba
26-02-2008, 21:20
I sanded the bumpstrips as they had developed a few scuffs from assholes banging their doors into em, just a fine sanding, plus a thorough cleaning under the shower with soap. Amazing how much dirt is on them you cant see.

Scougar
27-02-2008, 01:18
As requested by Daz:
Before:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e155/scougar/front2.jpg
After:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e155/scougar/NewClioFront2.jpg

Matthew

Daz.
27-02-2008, 08:05
Looks pants.. do it again :wink:

Scougar
27-02-2008, 10:44
lol, thanks Daz :p

Wasn't an intentionally dark picture though, just was quickly taking pics as light was fading rapidly after I got home, and was trying to minimise the shine off the car with the angles.

Matthew

white16valver
27-02-2008, 13:02
Good work! :)

dont use white spirit...its oil based.

used brake cleaner/thinners/panel wipe.
Thanks stan :)