PDA

View Full Version : Official Blu-Ray discussion Thread

jamie
25-02-2008, 23:50
Anything Blu-Ray related use this thread....

Now with the demise of Toshiba's HD-DVD I have gone the Blu-Ray route.

I purchased a Playstation 3 and primarily use it as a Blu-Ray player first and games console second...(untill we get some good games that is!!)

As a player it's perfect. The machine complements my home cinema perfectly. Im very impressed with the quality of BD even if I do only own a few titles, the price of the PS3 at the moment primarily just to watch BD was well worth it.

So come on guys.....anything Blu-Ray related discuss here.....

Ill start by throwing around a few questions....

- Do you own a BD player?

- What do you think of the format?

- What films do you own on BD/opinions?

rob-legend
26-02-2008, 12:05
vhs all the way 8)

fasterthanjesus
26-02-2008, 12:38
sonys ps3 player is still pound for pound better than any player on the market.

you will have to spend over 1k to get something better.

im still using standard dvd's as i project onto a 2.5 metre screen. the quality is more adequate.

will eventually go blueray, but waiting to see what happens with the new plasma/lcd replacement.

lewis_willy2
26-02-2008, 14:07
im am also very impressed with my ps3 and use the blue ray format aswell.

currently have 8 games and 4 blue ray discs. got over 300 dvds, so now making my BD collection grow aswell!!

Clio-Girl
26-02-2008, 14:56
my partner has a PS3 and now out of choice i will only buy blue-ray DVDS as the pic quality is so much better, when we watched harry potter it felt like you were actually there!!

FATBOY
26-02-2008, 18:54
whats BD stand for???? so are HD ready tv's compatible with blue-ray then??? obviously you need a blue-ray player and a blue-ray format dvd film.

Daz.
26-02-2008, 19:33
vhs all the way 8)

:lol:

Andyvalver
26-02-2008, 23:31
Im probably gonna buy a ps3 some time purley for blue ray. I buy all the games i want for my 360 8)

jamie
27-02-2008, 01:11
whats BD stand for???? so are HD ready tv's compatible with blue-ray then??? obviously you need a blue-ray player and a blue-ray format dvd film.

Blu-Ray Disc mate. Think of it as a successor to the DVD. Differences being the much larger storage space on a BD which means the disc is able to store and output in High def. DVD's dont have the space or abilities to output high def video.

Yeah to play a BD you need a Blu-Ray player/PS3 and a HD tv to output the higher res picture.

jamie
27-02-2008, 01:12
Im probably gonna buy a ps3 some time purley for blue ray. I buy all the games i want for my 360 8)

Same as bro!

btw...think your on my friend list??Will have to get a game going sometime.

Purple
27-02-2008, 05:18
Friend of mine just bought a PS3 to watch blu-ray movie. Upgraded the hard drive to 160GB on the same day. Easy 1 minute job, by himself. I think, with HDDVD gone, most blu-ray devices should half in price within the year.

Purple
27-02-2008, 05:19
Friend of mine just bought a PS3 to watch blu-ray movie. Upgraded the hard drive to 160GB on the same day. Easy 1 minute job, by himself. I think, with HDDVD gone, most blu-ray devices should half in price within the year.

jamie
27-02-2008, 11:28

Did he have to transpher date from one drive to the next etc?

I want to upgrade mine.

Purple
27-02-2008, 16:22
Did he have to transpher date from one drive to the next etc? I want to upgrade mine.
It was a brand new 40GB PS3, so there was no data to transfer. A 3 min job. Once the 160GB was installed, we just followed the on-screen steps to format the new drive and that's it. It's so easy to self-install, Sony should sell PS3s without hard drives.

evouk
27-02-2008, 16:27
i am using blue ray via my ps3, i have no idea how to conenct the ps3 up to my sony surround sound system though!!!

jamie
27-02-2008, 17:22
i am using blue ray via my ps3, i have no idea how to conenct the ps3 up to my sony surround sound system though!!!

Does your receiver have a optical output? If so connect it that way mate.

evouk
27-02-2008, 20:22
the playstation does but will have to check the back of the surround sound...dont think it does

lewis_willy2
27-02-2008, 23:57
need for speed on ps3 surround sound hooked up on a 50inch samsung FTW!!

blue rays are sick on a big tv

jamie
28-02-2008, 20:59
So what movies does everyone own on Blu-Ray and what do you think?

jamie
04-03-2008, 13:38
I just got ratatouille and resident evil in the post ratatouille looks amazing on Blu-Ray!

seanofnp
04-03-2008, 16:48
Seriously, wtf is the difference between HD, BD etc etc etc and normal DVD or HD vs normal TV? I cant see any difference!

rob-legend
04-03-2008, 19:20
Seriously, wtf is the difference between HD, BD etc etc etc and normal DVD or HD vs normal TV? I cant see any difference!

snap! i can't either its just too expensive to justify. i'm happy with my 360 on a normal tv.

jamie
06-03-2008, 13:58
I know what you guys are saying but if your willing to spend the money and are into your movies there is a big difference.

Now a regular DVD can hold approx 5 gig of information and as a result can only output in standard definition. A Blu-Ray disk can hold approx 25 gig of information. Now both formats have dual layers to write onto so double that and your looking at 10 gig on a DVD and 50 on a Blu-Ray disk.

Now with the larger capacity on a BD this means movies are able to be stored and outputted in much higher resolutions than that of DVD, up to 5x the resolution in fact if encoded well enough.

Audio can also be written in 'True HD Dolby Digital meaning upto 7.1 channels of sound, you only need 5.1 through, it all depends on the space of your room.

To really see the difference try playing something like a pixar film side by side in regular and then high definition

jamie
13-03-2008, 17:53
Anyone pick up the 360 HD DVD drive now its so cheap, im thinking about it.

Now that the format is being discontinued its the time to get one.