PDA

View Full Version : anyone know the best person to try for this kind of thing?

titcharoony
24-02-2008, 11:43
my sunroof is leaking (i know, join the club) and although i would feel comfortable repairing it myself, id much prefer someone whos done one, or who is a pro at doing them to come look at it. Im sure years ago there were tons of sunroof fitters about, but I suppose with so many cars having sunroofs from new now its not as big a thing and theyve disappeared.
Anyone know who to try? like windscreen repair, or something like that I guess? Im based in epsom, surrey. I might look this week and see where its leaking from. The motor has stopped, so I dont know if the motor has stopped before the sunroof completely closed - causing it to leak, or it was leaking first, causing the sunroof to knacker. lol, anyway, there u go.

stevie_b
24-02-2008, 11:50
I'm no good at fitting them but I have a complete sunroof and mechanism stripped from my track car I would sell. Might be of some use if your motor is kaput as I guess they would be expensive new. It didn't leak either, although I guess that is more down to how it is (re)fitted rather than the sunroof and seals itself?

titcharoony
24-02-2008, 12:21
how much u after for it?

stevie_b
24-02-2008, 12:28
Are you after the whole thing? I've got the glass, the runners, the seals, the motor, those little sun blind things that pull across the sunroof gap, all the screws, etc. etc. All in really good condition as car is very low mileage (40-odd thousand). PM me an offer for the bits you need, or the whole lot.

titcharoony
24-02-2008, 12:44
wouldnt have a clue as to how much thats all worth mate, tell you what, Ill check on tuesday as to what needs replacing and pm u then, that ok mate?

schakal
24-02-2008, 13:24
the rubber around the sunroof is designed to let a bit of
water in , your problem would be with blocked sunroof
drain pipes mate :wink:

titcharoony
24-02-2008, 13:51
i thought there was zero drainage on clios, thats the annoying point? sure i read that sumwhere on this site

talkingfish
24-02-2008, 18:21
ahhhhh, the joys of Williams 3 ownership!! :lol:

MatBrown
24-02-2008, 18:33
i thought there was zero drainage on clios, thats the annoying point? sure i read that sumwhere on this site

Correct, there is no drainage pipes.

Mat.

stevie_b
24-02-2008, 18:38
Ill check on tuesday as to what needs replacing and pm u then, that ok mate?

Yeah, no probs. I'm not in any massive rush to shift it so will hang on to it all in case you need any particular bits until you let me know otherwise.

titcharoony
24-02-2008, 19:07
ahhhhh, the joys of Williams 3 ownership!! :lol:
shut it. ;) and yes mate that'd be appreciated. ill get back to u on tuesday for definate

Justin..
24-02-2008, 19:24
mine leaked around the roof to the sunroof, not the actuall glass. in the end i took the complete lot out and sikaflex sealed it. worked a treat tho a little messy in the process :lol:

Daz.
24-02-2008, 19:33
My 2 fought back though - it was pissed of it didn't have a sunroof and decided to leak elswhere...

Still I've never envied a leaky sunroof!

titcharoony
24-02-2008, 19:33
if i was confident i cud sort it properly i wud do it myself, but wud rather give it to someone who can do it so it wont do it again. ill perhaps want to test the motor first though. i take it theres a fuse for it? dont think ive even looked.

Justin..
24-02-2008, 19:34
lol a leaky ariel is a 10 min repair

Justin..
24-02-2008, 19:35
when u puch the switch can yu hear it clicking? cos my switch was corroded which made the sunroof work intermittently

DaveH
24-02-2008, 19:36
mine leaked around the roof to the sunroof, not the actuall glass. in the end i took the complete lot out and sikaflex sealed it. worked a treat tho a little messy in the process :lol:

Did you have to take the roof lining out to get it out- i think thats where mines leaking from so im going to do that, the renault seal is only a flimsy bit of foam tape and is £40+vat so they can forget that!

Justin..
24-02-2008, 19:37
yeah you need to to get to the retaining bolts

titcharoony
24-02-2008, 19:59
hey watch is daz u know u love the rarest of the 3 cars - the willy 3. oh i forgot, wheres my stickers?

Daz.
24-02-2008, 22:49
**** the stickers I want a working car first - I've had to get taxi's to work - I ain't getting an 11 mile taxi to sort those out! :lol:

You can just pull the front part of the lining down - it comes off quite easily there its when you get towards the centre it gets hard they must concrete it on or something!

Triple check its not the aerial fella - get someone to pour a kettle of water over the aerial while your watching..

It's easy to get the bugger out yourself but I still recommend getting someone to put it back in - theres got to be someone out there to do it!

Taking it out yourself at least you can see whats what and save a few quid labour.

I put a piece of plastic over the hole and asked him to refit the sunroof and seal - I said not to bother with anything else I'd do it - few more quid saved :D

Scougar
27-02-2008, 10:42
It may leak but as mentioned... I bought a new motor thinking that it was duff, turned out to be a corroded switch. Took that apart and used emery paper to shine it all up again. Works perfectly now :) (My original motor was actually in pretty good condition and better than the one I bought.

Don't think you'll have to remove the lining to get it out either. You should be able to get access pretty easy after taking the motor out.

BTW: BE CAREFUL, there are sharp edges around the sunroof that are not normally exposed, so be very careful where you put your hands.

Matthew

titcharoony
27-02-2008, 13:06
cheers dude