PDA

View Full Version : Clio RT Mk1 air induction

rallyren
23-02-2008, 19:38
Hi all. Great forum.

This is my first post here and I'm learning about my clio mk1 RT.

She's totally standard. Just wondering if there are any air induction kits available that will make her breathe better and increase power output. I understand that there won't be a great boost in power but need to get as much out of the RT engine as possible.

Any suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated.

KJ

number1
23-02-2008, 20:01
Welcome to the site,
Tbh i dont think you'll see anything apart from noise from an induction kit, id just give it a good servicing first, change oil, filters, plugs, leads and dizzy etc so your restoring any lost power, I think some peeps have fitted 1.8 laguna throttle bodies to gain a bit of power.

Dave

BRUN
23-02-2008, 20:02
the hill power kit is probably the best as its partially heat shielded, other kits just sit on top of the engine sucking in all the heat from the bay, so you may actually lose power

a cheaper option is to get a panel filter and rework/replace the induction tubing to somewhere better

Wobba
24-02-2008, 00:35
Welcome to the site!

I started out with a 1.4 RT, was a great car. I didn't modify mine, as soon after I went to 16v power!

BRUN may well be correct with his thoughts, I would investigate the site and the clio16valver one too as they both have RT owners...

The best performance upgrade I did was to get a valver, back in 1995 :) Totally redifined what 'performance car' was to me. That may not be an option for you though. Go see the Projects forum and look at u33d's RT conversion. May gove you some ideas ;)

BRUN
24-02-2008, 01:12
i used to have a 1.4RT aswell

Daz.
24-02-2008, 01:34
And me of sorts!

u33db
24-02-2008, 09:14
I've an RT at the moment.

Yes induction kits are available...they'll give lots of noise and you won't notice a massive difference except for a little boost at high rpm i've found.

Best ones...well the Hillpower one is good as stated but you really wan't something that will shift the filter away from the top of the engine. IIRC Hillpower have done another one for this but its quite expensive...the cheaper way is to get an inlet pipe off a 1.8 8v Laguna - it is basically trunking that will run from the throttle body over to the passenger side of the car where you can bolt a cheap cone on.

I think plunky (sp?) bought mine, including the larger laguna throttle body and was trying to sell it on here...do a search in the for sale section. Beware tho - there are 2 different throttle bodys for the RT...if your airbox has 2 bolts in it this stuff won't fit.

kj16v
24-02-2008, 22:21
...and grab a Haynes manual and a feeler gauge, and adjusts the tappets. I bet they haven't been touched in over ten years! Not very exciting but makes a big difference.

rallyren
24-02-2008, 22:34
Thanks for all the info and suggestions. Obviously budget is a factor, so I'm concentrating on simple mods that I can do myself and at home that make the most difference.

Looking through my Haynes manual next !!! :?
Kaval.

u33db
24-02-2008, 22:45
Well for most difference and cheapness stick with exhaust mods;
- decat (approx 25 quid secondhand)
- 1.2 centre box (approx 25 quid new).

Short of removing the PAS (if you have it) or doing internal engine mods nothing else will be noticeable.

You could also strip the interior but bucket seats are ££.

8)